Subject: What should I put on my wishlist for christmas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Hunt
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So I'm looking for recommendations for games I should put on my wish list. Couple of stipulations: Right now I really only play the games with my wife. (I have a couple of friends that play but we only meet maybe once every 2 months or so). In that light they need to be good 2 player games but if they could go up to 4 or 6 players that would be grand.

I currently own Ticket to Ride, Alhambra, and Dominion. My wife really likes TtR and she asks to play it nearly every night. Prior to getting TtR she was doing the same thing with Alhambra.

Right now I'm looking at Agricola as one possibility. Anybody have any other suggestions.

One last thing as I'm sure they're out there, can anybody point me to a good thread for games to play with a significant other? I searched a bit but nothing stood out at first glance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bryan,
You should get any of these games. They are great games for 2 that can be played with at least 4 people.

Lost Cities: The Board Game
Goa
Caylus

You can also check this geeklist. But you can find much more... just be patient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis
Thebes
Carcassonne
Saint Petersburg
San Juan
Wyatt Earp
Qwirkle
Ingenious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Milton
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is my primary gaming partner as well. We love Dominion as well and also play:
Stone Age
Carcassonne
Hive
Pandemic
Puerto Rico (The official 2-player variant works great)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus seems like a big step from Ticket to Ride so be sure you're feeling ready for a meatier game... I'd suggest Agricola before...

I disagree with the Puerto Rico (I hate all the 2p variants, of course, they work not too badly but... Let's be honest, I'd not recommend this for a 2p game... There are more exciting 2p games than this but that's only my opinion and I know a lot of people disagree on the 2p playability...)

From the other propositions, I've only played Carcassonne and I'd agree with that, I've actually played with my dad yesterday and today for the first time, the game is very good.

So I'd say:

- Carcassonne (from 2 to 5 players and very good with 2, my guess is it will be great with 3 or 4 but I haven't tried out yet with more).

- Agricola, nice game, playable from 2 to 5, good with 2, but this is a step up in complexity but it is manageable for almost complete newbies, I'd suggest this one before Caylus (even though I prefer Caylus) as it is a good ramp up to Caylus.

- Hive, Pandemic, Stone Age, Saint Petersburg, Thurn & Taxis, Thebes and San Juan all seem good suggestions from what I heard, they have all intersted me at some point and I also offered Thurn & Taxis to a friend of mine and he liked it pretty much. Once more, I didn't play any of these so I'm not giving advice

- Lost Citie's / Battle Line: both very good couple's game but only for 2. Of course there is Lost cities the boardgame suggested before but I did'nt play this one so I don't know. But Lost cities and / or battle line are great games.

- Court of The Medici, Battle for Hill 218, Blue Moon, Odin's Ravens, Kahuna: yet other great 2p card games, very fast and deeper than you'd think.

- Galaxy Trucker, nothing to do in terms of gameplay than what you have, and possibly what you're looking fo, but still, a great game that you could take a look at... Of course, this is my wild suggestion, based on absolutely nopthing you have said... Just something I think you should exists...

- huh... That's it for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hunt
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
All of the suggestions look great. I've looked into Lost Cities and Stone Age before. Ill probably put both on the list.

I just looked at Pandemic and I like the cooperative game concept. Are there many other games out there like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca G
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Come to the dark side - we have cookieees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Thebes, Stone Age but I would add The Downfall of Pompeii to the ones mentioned before. We enjoy this a lot.
Maybe it's just me but I found Lost Cities to be a waste of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Oster
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Le Havre to Agricola because it seems to me that there is less overt player-to-player competition/confrontation (more appealing to my wife) and there are more paths (options) to follow to earn Francs, most of which determines the winner.

In a 2-player game, especially, it seems like the main competitor is the game system itself, which forces each player to come up with an ever increasing amount of food each round (to feed your growing business?), which necessarily limits what can be accomplished in spite of the higher per person action count and available goods.

It reminds me of Lost Cities in that as the game progresses the opportunities for scoring increase, but you have to intentionally limit yourself to a couple paths or you are going to run out of time to execute your goals as the game end rapidly closes in.

The last game I played with my wife, she was able to completely use up all her resources at game end, while I had piles of wood, hides, leather, Steel, bread and cattle, which were useless to me, because I didn't have enough actions left to convert them into Francs via the available buildings. I bit off a bit more than I could chew. I still won the game, but barely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it might be a bit left field but the games im looking to play with my wife:
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Dixit
Small World and Small World: Grand Dames of Small World
Day & Night
Mystery of the Abbey
Mr. Jack in New York

i have Lost Cities: The Board Game but haven't played yet. Heard good things about similar themed Diamant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
lethian wrote:
I just looked at Pandemic and I like the cooperative game concept.

My wife and I just bought Pandemic and the On The Brink expansion and we're loving it. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
lethian wrote:
I just looked at Pandemic and I like the cooperative game concept.

My wife and I just bought Pandemic and the On The Brink expansion and we're loving it. thumbsup

Pandemic is great. Just played it as a starter game for our Zombie themed night (other was Last Night on Earth)

If you like that you should look into Shadows over Camelot. It was a little bit trickier to get the hang (tho we did it in 1 game) of but is probably my favorite game at this point if i had to pick one. Has coop AND a traitor if you decide to play a normal game (traitor not in beginner but we did it the first time anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clark
New Zealand
PORIRUA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also second Thebes. I played this with my non-gamer wife for the first time a few days ago - and she really likes it. It would also be a light-hearted fun game for 4 non-gamer players.

I would also check out The Downfall of Pompeii as a good possibility.

Personally, I would stay away from Pandemic (I'm not sure exactly why, but I just didn't enjoy this game - it may be that it was too much like solving a puzzle and one person tends to direct everyone else on what to do) and Agricola (too fiddly and too much of a brain drain).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Baxter
United States
Bourbon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's favorites are Settler's of Catan, Before the Wind,10 Days in Europe and Starship Catan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could expand your TtR with the 1910 expansion.

Or you could get the Nordic edition, excellent for 2-3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hunt
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I wouldn't mind eventually getting an expansion to TtR, right now I want to concentrate on growing my library a little bit into other types of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.