Subject: Have i been playing this wrong?, Phase question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Metal-Head
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, pride swallowed
My friend has pointed out that we might be playing this waaay wrong, could you pls clarify for us.

we have been playing it as such... I take my upkeep, then my movement, then arkham encounter then a mythos card, then he does the same, next player etc.
now obviously this means that each player effectivly opens a gate each go at least early on. He has pointed out that the phases are actually shared in that only once per "round " does a mythos card get played then the next person becomes the first player?
So is it, everyone moves, then everyone encounters , then first player draws mythos...Argh

Help?
Noob etc

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Everyone does Upkeep, starting with First Player
2. Everyone does Movement, starting with First Player
3. Everyone does Arkham Encounters, starting with First Player
4. Everyone does Other World Encounters, starting with First Player
5. One Mythos card is drawn and resolved. It doesn't usually matter who draws it, but some Mythos cards do refer to the First Player.
6. First Player marker is passed to the left.
7. Go to Step 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Can See You
United States
Warrenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, looks like you've been playing it incorrectly!

First upkeep, then investigator movement, Arkham encounter for each investigator, and then draw one Mythos card. Only one Mythos card per turn is actually played.

Have you won any games, drawing a Mythos card for each investigator? goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah you're doing it wrong; each round takes a few trips around the table before it's done. Everyone takes Upkeep in player order, than moves/fights in player order, then takes an Arkham encounter (if applicable) in player order, than an Other Worlds encounter (if applicable). Finally, the first player draws and executes the Mythos card, carries out any effects and passes the first player token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Metal-Head
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you very much for this, dont know how i missed it.
no, we've never won a game playing like this, and now youve clarified this i think the games are going to be alot more fun.
thanks again guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That's a LOT of Mythos cards! ... no wonder you guys weren't winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Metal-Head
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, we just thought the rules were written by sadists. Actually looking forward to next game now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr_Phibes666 wrote:
Yes, we just thought the rules were written by sadists. Actually looking forward to next game now!

This was the exact same mistake we made when we first started. You might as well just wake the GOO on the first turn! Good luck with your first 'proper' game . . .

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Metal-Head
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Dr_Phibes666 wrote:

This was the exact same mistake we made when we first started. You might as well just wake the GOO on the first turn! Good luck with your first 'proper' game . . .

ninja

Thank you, glad to hear im not the only one, since recieving these answers ive since looked back into the rule book / reference sheets. Theres quite abit of Knowledge about the game ive tidied up now. I think a few proper games under our belts and we'll really start enjoying this.

What do you recomend for the first GOO?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr_Phibes666 wrote:

Yig.goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr_Phibes666 wrote:

I'd go with Kevin's suggestion: Azathoth. Less fiddly. Easy to resolve Final Battle too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Dr_Phibes666 wrote:

I'd go with Kevin's suggestion: Azathoth. Less fiddly. Easy to resolve Final Battle too.

Yig goo is a better first GOO because:
A) the game is shorter, so new players can get the hang of how the game works and the next one can start faster with the players more edumacated.
B) There is usually a final battle with newbies so might as well make it arrive sooner rather than having ppl run around in the dark for many many hours.
C) Newbies get to experience a GOO fight which is a part of the game that is totally ignored if using Azathoth.
D) The game is shorter
E) And its shorter as well
googoogoogoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr_Phibes666 wrote:

Another vote for Azathoth.
But if you're really looking for a shorter game with a final battle, then I'd say Nyarlathotep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Metal-Head
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks again guys.

While ive got you in my noob beam, am i right in saying movement is street line to street line (or location) ie the street signs are just to mark out areas rather than for movement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dr_Phibes666 wrote:
Thanks again guys.

While ive got you in my noob beam, am i right in saying movement is street line to street line (or location) ie the street signs are just to mark out areas rather than for movement?

The yellow limnes are just to show what is connected to what. Movement is space by space - which is the circular locations and the rectangualr street areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Aarts
Netherlands
Gemert
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say:

"A player may spend one movement point to move his investigator marker from one board area to another, so long as the two areas are connected by a yellow line on the game board. One movement point allows an investigator to move from a location to a street area, from one street area to another, or from a street area to a location."

Was that what you needed to know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr_Phibes666 wrote:
While ive got you in my noob beam...

Help! The Evil Dr Phibes666 has us trapped in a noob beam! Can't anyone save us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Aarts
Netherlands
Gemert
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rescue Rangers to the rescue

We aren't n00bs are we?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Metal-Head
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sweet lord, so the lines inbetween signs are just movement direction, and movement is titled rectangle to titled rectangle...if thats the case my friend is going to laugh his arse off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dr_Phibes666 wrote:
Sweet lord, so the lines inbetween signs are just movement direction, and movement is titled rectangle to titled rectangle...if thats the case my friend is going to laugh his arse off

Yes. So the distance between any two locations in the same neighborhood (say Graveyard and Balck Cave) is just 2 movements. One to the common street and then to the other location. You don't move to the yellow line, then the street, then the yellow line again and then the final space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Aarts
Netherlands
Gemert
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whow you're messing up a lot:

Movement direction: A player may move in any direction. For monster movement look at "Phase V: Mythos" section C.3.

Movement steps: See my last post.

Used words and meaning: "Locations are indicated by circular illustrations on the Arkham portion of the game board. Street areas are represented by rectangular boxes on the game board, one for each neighborhood in Arkham."

For a very clear illustration see rulebook page 7 "Arkham movement".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one other clarification that wasn't mentioned. Fighting monsters occurs during the movement phase.

A player may move, eliminate a monster and clear the way for subsequently-moving players.

A player cannot delay his move so that a subsequently-moving player can eliminate a blocking monster for him.

Ignore this if it's more information than you needed.

edit: As a matter of fact, one of the guys did mention move/fight in his response.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Metal-Head
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Right ive looked back over the rules especially page 7 i now uder stand that the lines are only for direction and dont represent the street for example to end a movement in french hill street area i would actually move my peice to the retangular box with french hill in it.
Looking back im still not convinced that this is obvious from the book, the movement points clearly show points on the lines, i understand this is to show which way through to move but still.

any how, thanks.
And Ben...if you're reading...you were right....damn you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.