United States
Laurel Springs
NJ
flag msg tools
Last Great Read
badge
Last Great Read
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil, we touched on this briefly, Tuesday night, but I want to go over it again to make sure I understand the rule.

10.3.1 Closest Friendly Port. When activated for movement, a face down Allied block must move towards the nearest friendly port. If multiple friendly ports are reachable during the next activation, the Allied player may choose which port to sail to regardless of distance. If no port is reachable during the next activation, the Allied block must be moved towards the nearest friendly port as measured in hexes.

So here was my situation: As Allies, I'm sitting in Bantry Bay, and I'd really like to go to Rochefort, but I had really screwed up my Grand Conseil D'Amiraute (could we please use less French when playing as the Allies?) destinations, and Rochefort is unavailable to me. Fortunately, rule 10.3.1 would let me sail towards Brest, which is the closest friendly port to Bantry Bay. But one wind wouldn't be enough to allow me to make port. The next wind would allow me to reach both Brest and Rochefort; although Rochefort is farther in hexes, rule 10.3.1 allows me to bypass Brest and proceed to Rochefort.

You and Dean seemed to think that this was not the way rule 10.3.1 was supposed to work. I agree, I'm really gaming the Grand Conseil D'Amiraute rules by doing this. I think that there may be more situations where the Allied player could avoid the restraints set by the Grand Conseil D'Amiraute destinations and use 10.3.1 to sail to whatever port they wish.

So am I misunderstanding the rule, or is it, as written, creating a loophole for the Allied player?

Thanks,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mike,

I don't think that there is a huge loophole here to be exploited.

In your Bantry Bay example, using the full 9 mps would put you one hex out of Brest. (Actually you could move less than full when leaving BB, but that would make it more likely to be forced into Brest. Rule 9.3 kicks in as well.)

Since the British know where you're headed (by being face down), I don't think it's a problem with you moving so that you have a choice of two ports to enter. (In reality the British wouldn't know exactly where you were headed.)

There are probably other issues regarding this out in the W.Indies, but again, in reality the British would not know exactly where you are headed and a little Allied flexibility does not break the system.

I may have given you a different impression on Tuesday night, but I was juggling a few other issues when you were posting the question. Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Laurel Springs
NJ
flag msg tools
Last Great Read
badge
Last Great Read
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem Phil, I almost hate to ask these questions during the Admiralty games, knowing that I'm derailing the game at hand, but I usually can't resist the temptation.

Thanks for the quick reply,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Admiralty game is meant to be a learning game, so feel free to ask questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be dense, but I still don't understand the rule, then. My opponent and I have been playing that when a block is turned face down, it must move towards the closest port, period. If the block is not face down, then it must be assigned an existing destination from the Grand Conseil choices.

From what I'm understanding, here, a face down block that moves once without reaching a port may then sail to any port that is within its movement radius during its next activation, regardless of whether that port is the closest?

Looking for a little clarification, here.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally this is not a problem, unless someone is trying to "game" the system by finding a loophole.

Key considerations:
1) You have to move towards the closest friendly port in hexes (unless you can reach another port due to wind direction).
2) You don't have to move the full number of hexes available (although normally you try to).
3) If you can reach a friendly destination within the activation, you must reach that destination.
4) If you have a choice between two destinations, that can both be reached in the same activation, you can choose either.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.