Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes. Look at it this way. When a retailer cracks open a booster box for singles he knows that 50% of that box is going to be redundant commons that he'll probably only ever sell half of that. The uncommons will go better, but if they don't end up empowering certain builds he can end up with a glut of stock he can't move. Most of the rares will sell and that is where he will make most of his money.

With an LCG cracking open a CS lets you know exactly what you are going to get. You can do the math straight away knowing how many cards in that Core Set you need to sell at what price to make a profit, and same for the Battle Packs.

The problem of course is that because they are fixed you can't make a lot of profit off any specific card until the Battle Pack is sold out. Until then you are forced to sell each card at a cost that is substantially less than what you might sell a singleton for another game. After all if you charge more than $2.00 for a card it may make more sense for me to pay the extra $8 or less for the second pack and then try and trade the cards I don't need away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think youll see any stores selling singles. The margins are not there - it is always better to sell a whole starter set for a retailer.

You could possibly trade among other people for order / destruction cards, but i'm resigned to having to buy 3 core sets if I want to have all the options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jond wrote:
I don't think youll see any stores selling singles. The margins are not there - it is always better to sell a whole starter set for a retailer.

You could possibly trade among other people for order / destruction cards, but i'm resigned to having to buy 3 core sets if I want to have all the options.

I am not sure I agree with that assertion. Think of it this way. The Core set includes the following singles:

15 Empire
15 Dwarf
15 Orc
15 Chaos
06 High Elf
06 Dark Elf
10 Neutral
-------------
82 Total single cards

As an example my FLGS www.coolstuffinc.com/ offers W:I for 25.99. Lets assume that they have only a 5% percent mark-up (I have no actual knowledge of their business model). Lets also assume that if they break open a core set that the ONLY cards that they will be able to sell are the singles. (they are effectively giving away the x2 and x3 cards in the set) They would have to sell each single for an average of 30 cents (actually 30.11 cents) in order to cover their costs. They would need to average 32 cents a card to equal the sale they make on an unopened Core Set. If they averaged 50 cents a card they would make 14.76 more than by selling the unopened Core Set.

So the question would be, how many players would make a decision to purchase singles to complete a particular deck versus buying more Core sets. I think this is going to come down to how popular the game becomes and how active the tournament scene becomes.

Assuming that the game takes off and their is an active tournament scene. Lets look at the decision model of a player who wants to field a deck that has the ability to have 3 of each desired card in the deck. For sake of the hypo we will assume he feels the need to have 3 of each single in a particular faction and 3 of each neutral single (I suspect that they could probably accomplish their goal without buying all of them but we will roll with it). We will also assume that the player has already bought one core set. Assuming the numbers I set out above:

Option 1: Buy two more Core Sets for a total of 51.98.

Option 2: Buy 30 Faction singles and 20 Neutral singles at an average of 50 cents for a total of 25.00.

I predict if this game achieves a reasonable level of popularity that a singles market will develop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And this is why coolstuffinc.com exists. The person running it understands that you can make a nice profit on volume rather than gouging the customer, get customer loyalty, all without going belly up.

Bravo to you sir. For no reason other than this post I will be buying any online purchases from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rexgator wrote:
So the question would be, how many players would make a decision to purchase singles to complete a particular deck versus buying more Core sets. I think this is going to come down to how popular the game becomes and how active the tournament scene becomes.

I think the labor costs would add up, though. That's what's killed a lot of local singles businesses, from what I can tell. Getting some friends to sort cards for pizza and beer works once in a while, but staying on top of sorting and inventory on an ongoing basis requires paying someone actual money.

High enough volume could still cover that expense, of course. But I'm not sure how you get higher volume than Magic, and plenty of folks have gotten burned by ignoring labor costs on Magic singles.

OTOH, they did try to sell Magic singles. So I suppose I should expect to see people sell W:I singles. I just don't expect them to sell singles for very long... cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear. I am not affiliated with Cool Stuff. I am a customer.

As far as labor costs, they are a valid point and I agree that you will need some volume to let economies of scale work. What I do know is that Cool Stuff appears to have a thriving singles business and all the employee infrastructure in place to process this kind of activity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Cowles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've replied to another thread already, but 13th Floor in the UK have started selling Warhammer Invasion Core Set singles. Shipping is expensive to the U.S. (£5) considering it's just a few cards though.

http://www.the13thfloor.co.uk/search.asp?catid=163

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timcowles wrote:
I've replied to another thread already, but 13th Floor in the UK have started selling Warhammer Invasion Core Set singles. Shipping is expensive to the U.S. (£5) considering it's just a few cards though.

http://www.the13thfloor.co.uk/search.asp?catid=163

Cool, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure there could be a market for Invasion singles. Many of the singles are must-play. When someone is looking for an individual card, having the option to pay 30$ for another core set or 2-3$ for the card you need can be interesting for some.

I'm pretty sure that with consistent pricing, retailers could easily cover the cost of the set they open, unlike Magic boosters, where there still is luck involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.