Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filip Van Boxelaer
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have lots of great games on my shelf, but this game is different... It is...well, just different !! Before I played FoF I had never played a game that is so addictive as this one. I don’t want to be pathetic, but more than once I have been thinking this is the best game I have ever played.

During the past year I have almost broken my teeth working myself through that damned rulebook. But man, It has been sóóóóó much worth the effort !!! I want to take this game into my grave because I don’t want to go to hell without it

Just my 2cents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey, count me in as one of the addicted/obsessed gamers. That is, until I heard earlier this year that they were rewriting the manual. The game has been sitting on my shelf ever since, as I wait (im)patiently for the new manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r3gamer wrote:
Hey, count me in as one of the addicted/obsessed gamers. That is, until I heard earlier this year that they were rewriting the manual. The game has been sitting on my shelf ever since, as I wait (im)patiently for the new manual.

With ya Robert....I shelved it until I can be taught or the new rulebook arrives on the scene. My patience has been exhausted with this one at the moment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Van Boxelaer
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:

With ya Robert....I shelved it until I can be taught or the new rulebook arrives on the scene. My patience has been exhausted with this one at the moment!

Johnny, several times I wanted to shelve it, but I simply couldn't. And I'm happy I didn't. This game must be like a hard drug. It seems once you give it a try, It'll never let you go anymore.

Once the work of Ben, Gene, John and Ricky will be consolidated in one big revision of the manual, things will even get better !!

It are games like FoF that make our hobby so beautifull

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear you worked your way through the pain and are enjoying it as much as you are.

I have to ask this to all posters. Just what is so difficult about this game that makes you shelf it rather than learn it? What brings this game up to the ASL level of difficulty for some gamers?

I really do not find this any more difficult than the first time I learned a CDG or area / impulse game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Filip....it stares at me all the time....I am not one to give up easily...I just have to get it off my brain for a while. I did the same thing with Up Front and it ended up being a fantastic game that I still play today! I have faith.....it will be a great game for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the rules pretty easy to get, it is just very difficult to find something during game if you need the reference. I have no idea what some players find so extremely difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Filbox wrote:
I have lots of great games on my shelf, but this game is different... It is...well, just different !! Before I played FoF I had never played a game that is so addictive as this one. I don’t want to be pathetic, but more than once I have been thinking this is the best game I have ever played.

During the past year I have almost broken my teeth working myself through that damned rulebook. But man, It has been sóóóóó much worth the effort !!! I want to take this game into my grave because I don’t want to go to hell without it

Just my 2cents
Amen brotha!! I've played board wargames for over 20 yrs and I have never come across a game this addicting. During down time away from home, I'm constantly thinking about the mission I'm currently on. What need's to be done, who needs to do what, what to do in case my plan A doesn't work, etc, etc,. My wife has gotten used to it and now refers to the game as "my little troops in the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided not to buy based on the reported difficulty and reported problems with the rules.

Then a friend had given up and offered me his copy to try and/or buy.

The game does appear difficult and it is hard to find what you can and cannot do in any given situation. But it's solitaire and if I could not resolve a question in a reasonable amount of time, I made it up and played on. I know I did many things wrong, forgot many modifiers, etc.

Then with a reread of parts of the rules, and the forums here, I discovered errors and will play correct in future. I am sure I will get more rules wrong too.

In spite of the difficulty, and playing some rules incorrectly along the way. it has been WAY fun.

Hopefully my friend will not read this before we negotiate a price!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Calxx55 wrote:

The game does appear difficult and it is hard to find what you can and cannot do in any given situation. But it's solitaire and if I could not resolve a question in a reasonable amount of time, I made it up and played on. I know I did many things wrong, forgot many modifiers, etc.

Then with a reread of parts of the rules, and the forums here, I discovered errors and will play correct in future. I am sure I will get more rules wrong too.

In spite of the difficulty, and playing some rules incorrectly along the way. it has been WAY fun.

That's the perfect attitude and approach to playing the game. Many multiplayer wargamers though are too use to the 'one correct version' of the rules paradigm which makes this difficult.

In response to Lucy, I don't think this game is near ASL complexity. A better rulebook will make it more clear and less daunting to new users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Scoobysnacks wrote:

I have to ask this to all posters. Just what is so difficult about this game that makes you shelf it rather than learn it? What brings this game up to the ASL level of difficulty for some gamers?

The game is not terribly hard. It is just so innovative and so open-ended, that it needed more examples and/or more redundancy and details to make sure that you are doing things correctly. Redundancy probably would have made the manual a better reference, making it easier to clarify those pesky confusing situations that can come up.

When I bought it, there were constant updates to the FAQ too, which would end up changing some of the assumptions I had made along the way. After many rules clarifications and FAQ updates, things finally are nice and stable (like Windows 7). I just want a manual that integrates it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
I found the rules pretty easy to get, it is just very difficult to find something during game if you need the reference. I have no idea what some players find so extremely difficult.

These are my thoughts exactly. The rules aren't that hard to grasp. There are some new concepts that one has to learn, but that's actually fun. There are some topics that will really benefit from a rewrite but not enough to cause one not to play. The hardest part is that the index is really a table of contents. A good index would make all the difference in the world. Most of the rules questions I've answered (and asked) for other gamers here on the forum have been answered in the rules but are just hard to find or one had to look in a couple of different places to get the full picture.

I'm glad to see some of you deciding to give it a try. You won't regret it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are probably NOT hard to grasp if you have a background of other squad level games. I do not, simply because I much prefer grand strategic games.

Trust me, with that background and my failing memory, this game is a swine to grasp. I have persevered with it only because, I wanted to give it a fair shot and it didn't bore me rigid. I have spent far more time trawling the manual and errata and tables cards than I have actually playing the game.

HOWEVER, I feel that I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel (I just hope it isn't thelight of an oncoming train).

I certainly don't think I'll ever like it as much as Paths of Glory or other CDG point 2 point games (which I enjoy playing solo as well as F2F or vassal), but I see it as work in progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.