Subject: Using the Pig rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Your Friendly Neighborhood Hairfarmer
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.
badge
The rain in Spain falls mainly on Edmonds
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing last night, I had a brainstorm on how to use the Pig in this game. You can sell it at a market in the city.

1. You play the pig in a city, assuming you already have one meeple (or prophet) in that city.

2. When the city is closed you score the city as normal. After that you score the pig, plus 1 point for each tile in that city (scrolls don't count).

3. Our group decided that the pig was worth a base of 10 points.
(you could make it more or less)

4. The pig (like the prophet) can only be used once. Then It is discarded back into the box.

So as an example if you scored a 4 tiled city with 1 scroll. You'd score 10 for the city (2 points per tile + 2 for the scroll)
Then you'd score the pig (selling it in the city market) 10 + 4 (10 for the pig + 4 for each tile in the city. So your grand total would be 24 points.

It worked pretty good the times we've tried it. I like to hear any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Except that this game represents the early Jewish nation and pigs are unclean animals. So thematically, it makes no sense. Better to grab a few sheeples from Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Friendly Neighborhood Hairfarmer
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.
badge
The rain in Spain falls mainly on Edmonds
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Except that this game represents the early Jewish nation and pigs are unclean animals. So thematically, it makes no sense. Better to grab a few sheeples from Agricola.

I understand that the pig is not the right "theme" for this game.
I'm just tying to find a use for it (like the builder, which we already use), I'm not trying to disrespect the Jewish community.
Just tying to incorporate something I (and I'm guessing many others) already have.

But you bring up a good point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
... or perhaps you could use it as a penalty piece, considering that it is an unclean animal (i.e. you play it into an opponents city to give some sort of penalty to that player). Not sure how this could be implemented, however.

Edit: When playing a tile that connects to an occupied city, a player may play his pig directly into the city on that tile. It doesn't matter that the city is occupied, but it must not be occupied by a Prophet. The pig renders the city 'unclean' and thus the player occupying cannot score. However, the players meeple is left in the city until completion when it is returned to the owners supply. The pig, however, is removed from the game.
Another way is if the player owning the pig later connects to this city he can 'clean' the city by removing his pig.
And perhaps another way, if the city is occupied by a Prophet, the city only scores as if it is occupied by a regular meeple. The Prophet is removed from the game as normal once the city is complete.

Something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Toedash wrote:
I'm not trying to disrespect the Jewish community.
Just tying to incorporate something I (and I'm guessing many others) already have.

And I didn't think you were nor did I mean to imply that you were either!

I just thought I would point it out since it may not have been obvious especially since it is so easy to just transfer over concepts from Carcassonne to Ark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue is not one of pigs being unclean now. It is that they were unclean then- which makes getting bonus points for them anti-thematic. Archaelogists have tracked the progress of the Israelites across Palestine (in the first millenium BC) by looking at the animal bones discarded in settlements. A growing number of settlements don't have any pig bones, hence indicating probable Israelite presence.

Of course, Carcassonne games are not highly thematic in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Of course, Carcassonne games are not highly thematic in the first place.

Especially this one that mixes and matches Jewish and Christian concepts but misses the mark considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fischer
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, the idea of a "penalty piece" doesn't have much play. The designers seem to want this version to be played peaceably and not cut-throat. For example, temple points are shared in full (meaning everyone who shares get the full yield) rather than those points being divided among those present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.