Maia McGrath
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bit of history:
I have never been a game player. I was introduced to the gaming culture just over a year ago and wargames about 6 monthes ago. I am the primary game purchaser in our house.

Now on to the self praise. Yesterday, I had money burning a hole in my pocket and the first place I head is FLGS (where else does a women with money end up?). whistle

I fully intended to purchase a heavy euro but got it narrowed down 4 wargames (Hellenes, PQ 17, Europe Engulfed and Asia Engulfed). My oh, so lucky husband came home to the lovely surprise of Asia Engulfed. (I've been wanting a naval battle which is why it won over Europe Engulfed but I'm sure that will soon follow.) All this is well and good but today I am perusing CoolStuffInc and noticed...

ASL Starter Kit.

The plunge has been taken. I am taking the first steps in becoming at least a fledgling wargamer!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ASLSK is a very nice game, but I recommend you that, if you like it, don't go in a rush and take the step forward to full-fledged ASL - it is a pretty different beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
maia_ann wrote:
I am taking the first steps in becoming at least a fledgling wargamer!!!

That seems more like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Brown
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any single sisters?shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! It's always nice to have more wargamers around.

I would definitely recommend ASL Starter Kits. They are a great series of games (4+ and counting with the next Expanded Kit) and are a perfectly great game in and of themselves without taking the next step to ASL.

Check out some of the Geeklists on starter wargames because there are a lot of great ones out there. My recommendation: A House Divided. Excellent strategic level game of the Civil War. Not too complex, not too simple. And it's affordable and well produced.

Also, if you have time, listen to some of the wargamer podcasts like The Two Half Squads and Point 2 Point. Oh yeah, and The Noise Before Defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrigo Velicogna
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the different note, but I will recommend much more LockNLoad Band of Heores or Heroes of the blitzkrieg over ASLSK... better production value, more interesting scenarios and it feels much better to me. If you want to move one step further panzergrenadier games from Avalanche. If you are very corageous ATS series.

I think they are much better tactical games than ALSSK and more rewarding.

and of course I will strongly suggest you to buy Agaisnt the Odds annual when it will come out next month.

Arrigo, confirmed wargamer from 1990...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asia Engulfed is very good. It has a bit of an elaborate turn sequence though, and quite a few "niggly" rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the fold - you are really jumping in at the deep end with Asia Engulfed! I've wargamed for years and still haven't managed to get it to the table.

Please don't get put off wargaming if it turns out to be a bit too much. There are far more streamlined and playable games out there. Either way, with the more complex or the more simple games, have fun - and don't forget to remind your husband how lucky he is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the fold. Abandon your wallets all that enter here

The ASL Starter Kits are awesome...please do yourself a favor, d/l Jay Richardson's absolutely fabulous set of tutorials and work through them, they'll give you a great insights into the reasons why ASL/ASLSK is so popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'll see you at the Winter Offensive.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two things I love to see most.
Spring and the return of motorcycle riding season

and

a fledgling wargamers smile when they first open their first wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is so badass.

arrrharrrharrrh

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
God speed and best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
Welcome to the fold - you are really jumping in at the deep end with Asia Engulfed! I've wargamed for years and still haven't managed to get it to the table.

Please don't get put off wargaming if it turns out to be a bit too much. There are far more streamlined and playable games out there. Either way, with the more complex or the more simple games, have fun - and don't forget to remind your husband how lucky he is!

I second the idea about not being put off by Asia Engulfed. It is an awesome game with great rules, good historical feel, and excellent components. I am not an experienced wargamer and it seriously taxed my brain. I stuck it out and have soled it twice but it is heavy (but enjoyable) going.

A year later I got Europe Engulfed and tried the single map (that required both maps) Eastern Front scenario and it was so much easier. Based on this I think that EE is the easier way to learn the system.

If you want to play naval battles then PQ-17 is def. worth getting. IT has a really innovative blend of game elements and brings together the interplay of submarines, surface naval forces, and air search and strikes.

Funnily enough, I also just bought ASLK SK1 and it is excellent. The guide posted on this forum is essential but the game in very playable (I was able to teach myself to play and I am pretty poor at grokking manuals). I did have to refer to the actual ASL rule manual for more detailed explanations of how some rules work but this is a pretty expensive play aid for a $25 game.

This may be a bit retro but if you don't mind doing the ebay thing then you might enjoy Victory in the Pacific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russ
United States
Marshall
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent!

Can you talk to my wife? Heck, she has any wargame she would like to try available to her - but no dice. cry

Cheers,
Jason
Wargame Depot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.