Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Thanks for helping out last time around with some basic clarifications that I had. I had a few more questions that I seek clarifications for:

- In the other world encounter, it doesn't mater whether you win or lose, you go onto the right hand side of the section (assuming that you were on the left side). You take the damage and then move on. Same with the right hand side, if you win/lose get out of the other world and come back to Arkham- Am I playing this right or wrong?

- Some investigator's abilities like say Aschen Pete- reads that whenever he draws he draws one from the top and one from the bottom- But when does this action happen? Upkeep phase??

Please help.

Thanks,
Madhu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
Australia
Fairfield
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- In the other world encounter, it doesn't mater whether you win or lose, you go onto the right hand side of the section (assuming that you were on the left side). You take the damage and then move on. Same with the right hand side, if you win/lose get out of the other world and come back to Arkham- Am I playing this right or wrong?

That aligns with my understanding providing by lose you don't mean die or go insane. If you die or go insane you are lost in time and space. And in the next turn you'll wake up then in the next one after that you may appear anywhere on the board.

Quote:
- Some investigator's abilities like say Aschen Pete- reads that whenever he draws he draws one from the top and one from the bottom- But when does this action happen? Upkeep phase??

This action happens whenever ashcan is drawing a card from the common, unique item or spell decks (so for example this may happen if he is shopping or if an enounter tells him to draw an item). He may only draw one card either from the bottom or top. He may look at the bottom of any of these decks whenever he wants.

I like to imagine him always rummaging through the wastes of arkham keeping an eye out for useful items that others may have carelessly thrown away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swany wrote:
Quote:

This action happens whenever ashcan is drawing a card from the common, unique item or spell decks (so for example this may happen if he is shopping or if an enounter tells him to draw an item). He may only draw one card either from the bottom or top. He may look at the bottom of any of these decks whenever he wants.

Ashcan Pete isn't limited to "only one" card:

"Scrounge - When Pete draws from the Common item, Unique item, or Spell deck, he may draw from either the top or the bottom of that deck, his choice. Pete may look at the bottom card of those decks at any time. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Swany wrote:
Quote:

Ashcan Pete isn't limited to "only one" card:

I think Swany's comment is in reply to Madhujith's original assertion:

Quote:
Some investigator's abilities like say Aschen Pete- reads that whenever he draws he draws one from the top and one from the bottom

Swany is right, you only get to draw one card, either from the top or the bottom, not both from top and bottom.

Of course, if Pete draws several cards, you get that choice for every card he draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
- In the other world encounter, it doesn't mater whether you win or lose, you go onto the right hand side of the section (assuming that you were on the left side). You take the damage and then move on.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking here. If you have an OW encounter, you resolve it completely. If that involves fighting a monster, you use the normal rules for fighting the monster. I you lose that fight, you're Lost in Time and Space.

But either way, you advance through the outer worlds during the OW movement phase, so your position won't change a bit unless the encounter tells you to do so.

It sounds as if you may be doing the sequence of play a bit wrong, but it's tough to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the response, let me try and explain what I was doing, perhaps you could then point out where I was committing the error:

I get drawn into the OW through a gate. So during my OW encounter phase, I pick up a card and follow as it says- say a luck or Lore check (just an example). I lose this an face the consequences i.e. lose stamina/sanity or whatever the card says. Now my question is during my next OW encounter phase, can I move to the next region or stay there in the left region and draw another card and try to win in that encounter?

And yes, I'm a bit confused with Lost in Time and Space- I don;t know when that happens and the same goes true with Delayed. This is my problem :-(

Please correct me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
Now my question is during my next OW encounter phase, can I move to the next region or stay there in the left region and draw another card and try to win in that encounter?

Follow the Phases.

Turn 1:

Phase 3, Arkham Encounters: sucked in through a gate (assuming the gate was already there)
Phase 4, OW Encounter: draw encounter card

Turn 2:

Phase 2, Movement: unless you're delayed, move to the 2nd area of the OW
Phase 4, OW Encounter: draw encounter card

Turn 3:

Phase 2, Movement: unless you're delayed, return to Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
I get drawn into the OW through a gate. So during my OW encounter phase, I pick up a card and follow as it says- say a luck or Lore check (just an example). I lose this an face the consequences i.e. lose stamina/sanity or whatever the card says. Now my question is during my next OW encounter phase, can I move to the next region or stay there in the left region and draw another card and try to win in that encounter?

How you move through the OW depends on how you entered the gate - did you go through voluntarily during the Arkham encounter phase? Or were you sucked through it during the Mythos phase. Here's the steps you'd go through:

A - If you were sucked through during Mythos, you're delayed. Remain in the left space of the OW and have an encounter. Stand up during the next OW movement phase after your encounter.

B - If you moved through during the Arkham encounter phase or just finished off "A" above, have an OW encounter.

C - If the encounter you had in "B" didn't delay you, move to the right side of the OW during OW movement, then have an OW encounter.

D - If your encounter in "C" didn't delay you, return to Arkaham during the next OW movement and gain an explored marker. You may attempt to close the gate during Arkham encounter phase.

Follow the phases of the turn religiously and it's very hard to go wrong. All movement will happen before all encounters, so unless the encounter itself instructs you to move, you'll never complete an encounter and then move anywhere.

Quote:
And yes, I'm a bit confused with Lost in Time and Space-

Fancy way of saying 'The bouncers kicked you out of the OW.' It's a place you go when you have bad stuff happen to you in the OW and occasionally due to encounters. It allows you to move to any location in Arkham on your next movement (typically the hospital or asylum since you ended up there due to 0 sanity or stamina).

Quote:
I don;t know when that happens and the same goes true with Delayed. This is my problem :-(

Delayed basically means "Lose your next available movement phase." You knock the investigator on its side to show that he can't move, and they're stuck in their location for a turn.

But it sounds more like you're doing the phases of the turn in the wrong sequence to me. Movement always goes before encounters, and your post implies (at least for the OW) you might be moving after them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah....now I get it, you are spot on, I was doing things the wrong way around!

Thanks for helping me out. This greatly clarifies a lot of my problems, which is actually because of the way I was playing the turns...I guess :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
A - If you were sucked through during Mythos, you're delayed. Remain in the left space of the OW and have an encounter. Stand up during the next OW movement phase after your encounter.

B - If you moved through during the Arkham encounter phase or just finished off "A" above, have an OW encounter.

C - If the encounter you had in "B" didn't delay you, move to the right side of the OW during OW movement, then have an OW encounter.

D - If your encounter in "C" didn't delay you, return to Arkaham during the next OW movement and gain an explored marker. You may attempt to close the gate during Arkham encounter phase.

Follow the phases of the turn religiously and it's very hard to go wrong. All movement will happen before all encounters, so unless the encounter itself instructs you to move, you'll never complete an encounter and then move anywhere.

So to be perfectly clear, you're saying that if you get sucked through during Mythos phase, you have three Other World encounters? That sounds wrong to me...

Turn 1 - Mythos phase: Sucked through and delayed.

Turn 2 - Movement phase: Stand up.
Turn 2 - Other World Encounters: Have an encounter.

Turn 3 - Movement phase: Move to second space of Other World.
Turn 3 - Other World Encounter: Have encounter #2.

Turn 4 - Movement phase: Move back to Arkham.

That should be a total of two encounters, unless I'm missing something.

It's different if you get sucked through in an Arkham Encounter, making you have three Other World encounters because of the way that Arkham and Other World encounters are split into two consecutive phases:

Turn 1 - Arkham Encounters: Sucked through and delayed.
Turn 1 - Other World Encounters: Have an encounter.

Turn 2 - Movement: Stand up.
Turn 2 - Other World Encounters: Have encounter #2.

Turn 3 - Movement: Move to second space of Other World.
Turn 3 - Other World Encounters: Have encounter #3.

Turn 4 - Movement: Move back to Arkham.

If you step onto a location with an existing gate, it takes one less turn and you still have two encounters:

Turn 1 - Arkham Encounters: Drawn through gate, NOT delayed.

Turn 2 - Movement: Move to second space of Other World.

Turn 3 - Movement: Move back to Arkham.

I figured this was the way it worked, but recently I played a game with a new person who has played much more than me, so I lost some confidence. Am I looking at this the wrong way, or did I just read your post strangely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
So to be perfectly clear, you're saying that if you get sucked through during Mythos phase, you have three Other World encounters? That sounds wrong to me...

Turn 1 - Mythos phase: Sucked through and delayed.

Turn 2 - Movement phase: Stand up.
Turn 2 - Other World Encounters: Have an encounter.

Turn 3 - Movement phase: Move to second space of Other World.
Turn 3 - Other World Encounter: Have encounter #2.

Turn 4 - Movement phase: Move back to Arkham.

That should be a total of two encounters, unless I'm missing something.

It's different if you get sucked through in an Arkham Encounter, making you have three Other World encounters because of the way that Arkham and Other World encounters are split into two consecutive phases:

Turn 1 - Arkham Encounters: Sucked through and delayed.

Turn 2 - Movement: Stand up.

Turn 3 - Movement: Move to second space of Other World.
Turn 3 - Other World Encounters: Have encounter #3.

Turn 4 - Movement: Move back to Arkham.

If you step onto a location with an existing gate, it takes one less turn and you still have two encounters:

Turn 1 - Arkham Encounters: Drawn through gate, NOT delayed.

Turn 2 - Movement: Move to second space of Other World.

Turn 3 - Movement: Move back to Arkham.

I figured this was the way it worked, but recently I played a game with a new person who has played much more than me, so I lost some confidence. Am I looking at this the wrong way, or did I just read your post strangely?
All of your scenarios are exactly right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:

You're right. I mixed the Arkham encounter phase with Mythos. Your sequences are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew. Thanks fellas. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you all for such great responses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the turn breakdown - cleared up the delayed sequence issue for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.