Cyclades» Forums » General

Subject: How does it scale? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I've played a five player game yesterday and it was fun. It has pace and combines well-known auction, development and conquest mechanics in an interesting way. Plus I love the art and theme.
One question however: Games with similar auction mechanics (Vegas Showdown, Amun Re) oder other auctions (Princes of Florence) tend to have problems in scaling, i. e. are clearly best with the maximum player number (5). Any experiences for Cyclades with less players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades is clearly fun with five players.

However, the changes in the rules when playing with fewer players are pretty smart.

First of all, the board itself gets smaller, therefore adapting to the fact that is will be less crowded.

Secdonly, one or two gods will be hidden. This brings a new level to the game as you have to adapt to this.

I've played a 2-players game and really enjoyed it. The mechanisms and the pace are still there. There is just this extra bit of chance with the drawing of the gods... which is not much chance, because a god that is hidden this turn will be on top of the list the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played it witht three and it was still nice, but the bidding fase is obv. less exciting. The game is VERY fast though, we played in under a half hour with three!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with both three and four players, and in both cases the experience was great--it was cutthroat and competitive right down to the end.

I would concur the (rather ingenious) main reason it works so well is that the size of the board adjusts according to the number of players. I would disagree, however, that the game is boring with fewer players; the fact that not all gods are available every turn makes your strategic decisions and planning that much more crucial because you don't always know which will be available. I believe I prefer it this way.

In fact, this made a major difference in the four-person round I played earlier today: the player in the lead only needed two more Philosopher cards to easily earn his second Metropolis for the win. By sheer luck Athena did not come up that next turn, which gave the rest of us time to hamstring him elsewhere and/or prepare to outbid him the following turn and prolong the competition. Far more exciting, IMO.

Fantastic game! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Sobczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how is getting lucky that something didnt show up "make your strategic decisions and planning that much more crucial"?

I played one 5 pl game and this game has more than enough ways to screw a good plan up. You can always outbid a player who wants to finish with philosophers (i bid 10 just to block...) and if you really can't outbid him (like you dont have enough money) you can always take his islands so he doesn't have enough space for the second city... or even taka the city right after it is build

no mentioning the cards that allow you to steal a philosopher or do a pegasus teleportation to wherever you want your army...

i dont feel like it needs less control with crutial action out of play... and if you're "lucky" enough not to play with ares for a couple of turns...
[edit]
hmmm the god(s) that didn't show up have to come next trun, this sounds good and makes much more sense (i didnt know it works this way)
[\edit]
i didn't play with less than 5ppl though, maybe it's better than it sounds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.