Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've attached a picture of my set up for mission 5. My 1st platoon is doing this patrol (row 1 column 3). Per DavidS's excellent post on combat patrols (http://boardgame.geekdo.com/thread/413837) I set up part of my 2nd platoon in my combat outpost (R2 C4) for fire support. I set up the 50 cal in (R1 C2) to take advantage of the LOS through the Gully/Draw in row 2. This way I can get additional fire power (with illumination help) on row 3, columns 2,3, and 4.

1) Any different ideas on how you would have approached the set up?

I set up the route points going up and coming back through the same cards. I'm not sure why on a patrol you would want to take the chance on stirring up more enemies on the way back.

2) Any thoughts on taking the same or a different route back?

Thanks! Ron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always tend to take the same route back, I don't want to trigger another PC marker. The risk is worth it.

The big thing I worry about is having the objective on a really high cover card on the off chance you trigger an enemy unit and it sets up in the card. You can really get smoked if an HMG point or something sets up in that church objective square. I tend to choose woods or something +2 at most when putting down my objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point Steve. I think I may also leave the Combat Outpost empty or relatively empty on my next patrol and then make my route through the Combat Outpost giving my patrol even one less chance of triggering a PC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Naylor
United States
Cordova
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Hi Ron,

I had a similiar map on one of my patrols where R2 had a Hill card and a church on another card. On your map, you have two hills on R2.

I like to place my Command Post on the hill to provide cover fire and observation. In your case, you have two hills that have LOS to your primary objective. One hill could have the CP whilst the other hill can be used as additional cover fire or observation ... In that case, I would assign an HMG and an FO to 1st Platoon and have them setup on the second hill (after reconing with an Assault Team).

My route would be different from yours ... I would start in R2C4 (hedge row) and then next to R3C3. Using R2C4 appear's to have better front/left/right cover for the first move.

If you get a chance, please keep us posted on how the mission goes!

Thanks! Rob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mraah wrote:
Hi Ron,

I had a similiar map on one of my patrols where R2 had a Hill card and a church on another card. On your map, you have two hills on R2.

I like to place my Command Post on the hill to provide cover fire and observation. In your case, you have two hills that have LOS to your primary objective. One hill could have the CP whilst the other hill can be used as additional cover fire or observation ... In that case, I would assign an HMG and an FO to 1st Platoon and have them setup on the second hill (after reconing with an Assault Team).

My route would be different from yours ... I would start in R2C4 (hedge row) and then next to R3C3. Using R2C4 appear's to have better front/left/right cover for the first move.

If you get a chance, please keep us posted on how the mission goes!

Thanks! Rob.

It went vey well. I was attacked by artillary in row 2 and had one casualty there. I drew no contact in row 3 and a strong point in row 4 which gave the Germans a squad on one card and a squad and a HMG gun on the other. I was on the ground floor of the church with +3 for a strong building, +3 for the card, and +4 for the moonlight and of all the luck still drew a hit (card 49). Sigh... I only ended up with one Paralyzed from the hit so I managed to get out pretty quicky.

The downside to having a high cover card as your primary objective is that it may be hard to displace an enemy to take the card. The upside is that it 'should' allow you to hold the card once you take it as you almost always have 'A' level PCs on the last row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mraah wrote:

By the way, that is what I am going to do on Patrols 2 and 3. I'm going to leave the Combat Outpost on R2C4 and go through it on my route out and back.

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Naylor
United States
Cordova
Tennessee
flag msg tools
CaanDo wrote:
By the way, that is what I am going to do on Patrols 2 and 3. I'm going to leave the Combat Outpost on R2C4 and go through it on my route out and back.

Thanks guys!

Ron,

How did this turn out? I haven't tried that strategy yet since I've been messing with radios so I try to keep the high ground for the COP with a full platoon inside.

Rob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mraah wrote:
CaanDo wrote:

Thanks guys!

Ron,

How did this turn out? I haven't tried that strategy yet since I've been messing with radios so I try to keep the high ground for the COP with a full platoon inside.

Rob.

It reduced one chance for contact per patrol, so if your goal is to do the recon and get back safely then it was a great way to do it. I think I would always do Normandy partols this way. Not sure about the others yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.