9 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Pegasus Expansion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Execution house rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dirga
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Considering I really hate the logical but painfully anti-thematic "let's kill the admiral, so that we can be sure he's clean" strategy, we've decided to apply this new rule:
When a human player is executed, construct a deck consisting of six "you are not a cylon" card and one random "you are a cylon card". The player then puts one of his loayality cards into the deck, shuffles it and draws a new one. Keep the deck for eventual further use.
Results:
1) New person - new loyalty. There's a 1:8 chance previously human player just became a cylon, so humans should think more then twice before they kick someone out of airlock. On the other hand, the risk is relatively small (12,5%) so mistake is bearable.
2) There can never be more then one extra cylon (drawback is, that once you find out the extra cylon was picked out of the deck, you can execute freely again, but the punishment is already severe enough).

The only downside is, you may find yourself out of proper cards, but this can be improvised (normal playing cards, chosing seven black cards and one red for example).
We've tested it several times and it seems to be working fairly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dirga
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
I like the random element there, but for one, if you have CL in play, there can be a max of two CLs in the pack (at the very worst), which allows for three executions - considering only three players can be humans, unless they have bad luck and lose some people repeatedly due to card effects, they are safe.
And cutting the number is not a good options, precisely because of those card effects - it would really be rather silly if a game was lost for humans because they got two or three critical crises wrong. Way too easy for cylons to sabotage.

I'd love to implement the random drawing for my variant, but since humans are already losing some 80% of our games (unaffected by upper stated extra rule, it was like that even before it was enacted), I'm reluctant to make their life even harder :>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just how many characters are you killing off? You'd think that and from regular crisis cards, morale would go to 0 soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dirga
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Not really. Keep in mind that you have maximum of three human players, so if you were extremely unlucky and had no hints to help you chose, you'd lose 3 morale total, getting rid of two cylon activation abilities and two supercrises.
Much worse then the morale loss is actually the loss of cards, but especially in case of admiral before New Caprica, sacrificing both cards and morale is well worth ensuring he's clean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this idea:

The first human execution is -1 Morale.
For each human execution thereafter, increase the penalty by 1. This would be to simulate the increasing fear and helplessness of seeing your friends and family die senselessly by the Cylons/your own compatriots.

That would mean a total of -6 Morale after killing 3 humans.

At some point, you'd have to weigh your options carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dirga
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
The problem I see in this is, execution still works as dangerous, but very reliable cylon detector - you can be sure given person is clear. My problem isn't so much with execution itself, but with extremely antithematic approach "he's probably clean, but let's kill him so that we can be sure".
This is, to some extent, tackled with the random drawing of characters (you prove that admiral was clear, but he isn't admiral anymore), and with our rule you can't be quite sure even after he revealed as clean.

I admit that I'm pondering if the random drawing variant isn't actually better in a way, because with only 12.5% chance of a human becoming cylon, it can still be worth doing it. But nobody tried to exploit it in this way so far, so I'm going to stick with it till problems arise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The variant we use is this:

Create a deck of three loyalty cards: 1 Cylon, 2 Not A Cylon.

Also create a deck of four Sympathetic Agendas.

Whenever a human is executed, they draw one card from the loyalty deck and one card from the agenda deck (discarding any agenda they already hold if they have been executed more than once).

Once two resources are in the red, add another Not A Cylon card to the loyalty deck. Then again when all four resources are in the red. If ever there are no card left in the loyalty deck (i.e, when any player draws the last card) the humans lose.

If the player receives a Cylon loyalty card, they are considered a hidden Sympathetic Cylon and must fulfil their agenda to win the game.

Once New Caprica is reached, revert to the original rules for executions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.