Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
We're going to be playing PG this weekend with a brand new player.

We've done this before and the results are predictable: the new player gets beaten. Badly.

We give advice during play; try to point out obvious errors and explain our reasoning. But we also try not to play their game for them and let them make their own decisions/mistakes and learn from them. But this only gets them so far and once you're out of synch with the pace of the game, you're a goner.

Any advice on leveling the playing field?

I think starting them with more cash would take some steps toward giving them a fighting chance and help cover some early errors. How much do you think would be appropriate? 20? 30?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with playing normal and letting the new guy lose? It's expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
trippercook wrote:
What's wrong with playing normal and letting the new guy lose? It's expected.
A fair question which I meant to answer in the original post.

I want our new player to have fun and I've seen several people get their enthusiasm crushed by playing a game with the knowledge that they are losing and have no chance of even catching up.

We try to tell people who are about to play a game like this for the first time: "You are most likely going to lose." and give them the chance to choose some other game. Some people are fine with that idea and enjoy playing anyway. Others think they are fine with it but really aren't. Of course, one time, we got trounced by the new player in Power Grid. Absolutely, embarrassingly, slaughtered. Probably because we underestimated him and played against each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several options:
*Have the new player watch the first game or pair him up with someone.
*Play only 3 or 4 rounds then start over again.
*Have him show up early so you can explain the rules and strategy over a few turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:

This gets my vote.... And while playing, explain your reasons for buying/not buying, placing/not placing, powering/not powering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

We try to tell people who are about to play a game like this for the first time: "You are most likely going to lose." and give them the chance to lose at some other game.

Fixed that for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first suggestion, since there's no secret info, is to offer "if at any time you want advice, just ask and we'll give you the best advice we can." That allows the new player to decide when he or she wants to get advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
StevenE wrote:

This gets my vote.... And while playing, explain your reasons for buying/not buying, placing/not placing, powering/not powering.

actually this was stated as in the rules for new players. anyway, i think a combination of playing shorter game, explaining and advice is better than giving a handicap. when u give an handicap, he'll understand the dynamics of the game wrongly and when u remove the handicap, he'll suffer.

"holy crap, i thought i always have enough money to buy 3 cities in the 1st turn? what happened now? i'm screwed"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cpf86 wrote:
actually this was stated as in the rules for new players. anyway,

Shows how long it's been since I read the rules from start to finish!

Quote:
when u give an handicap, he'll understand the dynamics of the game wrongly and when u remove the handicap, he'll suffer.

That's a very good point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Update: New player won with no handicap. Though we did give him a lot of advice.

Power Plants also came out very uneven. Got lots of 20s and low 30s early. A few people got game ending plants and then the teens came out and pushed the 5s and 6s back up to the futures market. We never made it to Step 3.

Game ended with 15 builds and 2 players powering 13. I could power 11 (5,4,2). Another player ended at 7! He hoarded his money and was holding out for a 5 or 6 to drop -- never did. In the last 3 auctions, nothing higher than a 3 made it into the current market and no one wanted to bid a 3 (to upgrade a 1 or 2) in fear that one would drop.

We still had a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.