Subject: (NYC) Compleat Strategist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alain Xalabarde
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Anyone who lives in NYC knows that the Compleat Strategist always has a bunch of very cheap games. The other day I went there and made a list of them in order for me to choose my next purchase. So I thought it'd be a good idea to share it with other people here.
I've taken the liberty to calculate an estimate of the final price (I've taken out the 50% and 75% discounts already), so you only have to add taxes to the following prices. Prices may be off by max. 50c.

$22.50 Beowulf
$20.00 Formidable Foes
$25.00 Darjeeling
$7.50 Time Pirates
$22.50 Mesopotamia
$14.00 Azteca
$22.50 Emira
$12.00 The Grand Alchemist
$12.50 The World of Tales From the Crypt
$10.00 MIB Adventure Game (introductory)
$25.00 Silk Road
$20.00 Castle Merchants
$12.50 Easter Island
$12.50 Gravediggers
$22.50 Leonardo da Vinci
$10.00 Showbig
$16.50 Ever Green
$20.00 Meridian
$15.00 Go West
$25.00 The Hobbit
$9.25 Trump - the game
$19.50 Valley of the Mammoths
$22.50 Heart of Africa
$8.25 Mall World
$10.00 Hispaniola
$20.00 Oltre Mare

I'm still deciding which one to purchase myself. So if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

EDIT: Good call. Here is the info on the NYC store (address and opening hours).
http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/index.asp?PAGEACTION=CO...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yarasmodai wrote:
Anyone who lives in NYC knows that the Compleat Strategist always has a bunch of very cheap games.

I've actually heard it was hit or miss, mostly miss, that I didn't even stop by myself when in was in nyc last spring.

Out of curiosity how much is sales tax these days (doesn't nyc have both a state and a city sales tax?)

In any case you may want to link folks to the website so they can get the hours and address

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Yu
United States
Rego Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my knowledge, it's 8.875 as of now, but I'm sure it'll go up again soon. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never been to the one in NYC, but the one in King of Prussia, PA is on the pricey side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Duck wrote:
From my knowledge, it's 8.875 as of now, but I'm sure it'll go up again soon. :soblue:

One of the reasons people are leaving NYC and NY state in droves...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yarasmodai wrote:

$12.50 Easter Island

I haven't played most of the others, but this is a pretty good short two-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:

That, and all the yankees

I just saw a thing in the paper the other day that between 2000 and 2008, 1.5 million people left NY for greener, less taxed pastures. And that was *before* all the talk of soda taxes hehe.

The Falls Church VA store is about 10 mins from here...can't even begin to speculate how much money I've dropped in there over the last several decades surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it the same location that I remember from the early 80s? Near MSG and stacked high with games with narrow walkways? I loved that place when I was a kid. On my rare trips to NYC, that was a must-stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FezAZ wrote:
Is it the same location that I remember from the early 80s? Near MSG and stacked high with games with narrow walkways? I loved that place when I was a kid. On my rare trips to NYC, that was a must-stop.

It's on the North side of 33rd Street, between Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue. Basically, across the street from the Empire State Building and about a half a block down.

And yeah, still stacked high with games. Everything that's not on sale (there's a 50% off MSRP area in the back of the store) tends to be full MSRP. I'll tend to buy stuff there if the difference isn't too terrible (support the local store and all that) but it's typically not a place to go bargain-hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Xalabarde
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
By the way, does anyone know what happenned to Neutral Ground (also in NYC)? A couple of years ago they changed their location and next time I checked, they were closed.
Their prices weren't great, but I remember there was a lot events and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph McDonough
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neutral Ground went out of business and closed its doors early this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
And yeah, still stacked high with games. Everything that's not on sale (there's a 50% off MSRP area in the back of the store) tends to be full MSRP. I'll tend to buy stuff there if the difference isn't too terrible (support the local store and all that) but it's typically not a place to go bargain-hunting.

I always buy something at full MSRP, just because I think that a game store in the middle of NYC is a rad concept. That, and I always have fun wandering down the long aisles and gawking at the sheer stock of the place. There are stores in Texas that are 3 times as large and have 10% of the stock. It's crazy cool to see stuff on sale that I haven't seen in 15 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigspoon816 wrote:
Neutral Ground went out of business and closed its doors early this year.

Yeah, I was bummed about this. I had never been there, tracked it down earlier this year, and found the empty space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
Angry Duck wrote:
From my knowledge, it's 8.875 as of now, but I'm sure it'll go up again soon. soblue

I wish people would be leaving Los Angeles (and California, for that matter) sooner. With L.A.'s sales tax currently at 9.75%, I sure hope those evacuating New Yorkers give the Left Coast a wide berth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People may figure out at some point that raising taxes doesn't actually raise revenue if it drives taxpayers out of the state, but I doubt they'll be members of the CA or NY state legislatures, unfortunately.

As for the Compleat Strategist, for you locals, there's a monthly gaming group that meets there on the 3rd Saturday of every month. Mostly wargaming, but Euros too. Check the 33rd St. Chitkickers folder on Consimworld if you want to get in touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent WAYYY too much money at the Manhattan Strat (33rd St) for over a decade.

Sorry to hear about Neutral Ground, I liked it there, even after I dropped out of Magic. Nice bunch of guys, or they were when I was going there.

And no, the NYS legislature will never figure it out. I left NYC because I needed a break from city life and got stuck half-way between Albany and Buffalo, now with no escape from the state at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Webb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I now live just north of the city in Westchester....Highest taxed county in the Nation!!!

Woopee!!! We're number one! We're number one!!!! gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Xalabarde
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
People may figure out at some point that raising taxes doesn't actually raise revenue if it drives taxpayers out of the state, but I doubt they'll be members of the CA or NY state legislatures, unfortunately.

As for the Compleat Strategist, for you locals, there's a monthly gaming group that meets there on the 3rd Saturday of every month. Mostly wargaming, but Euros too. Check the 33rd St. Chitkickers folder on Consimworld if you want to get in touch.

Unfortunately I'm going back to London in mid-November. I'll be coming back soon though, and I'll make sure I meet up with you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Xalabarde
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I think I'll change the title of the post to: "What's your opinion on tax raises?", hahaha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yarasmodai wrote:
I think I'll change the title of the post to: "What's your opinion on tax raises?", hahaha.

Which is when I'll point out that in England, the VAT (Value Added Tax) of somewhere around 25% is added on the price you see on the tag . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.