Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

1825 Unit 2» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Getting to the 6 train... how? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We have only played 1825 Unit 2 with 2 players. During our three games, we have basically topped out at the first 5 train. How is it possible to get to the 6 train/the fourth phase before the bank runs dry?

If you withhold enough dividends from early or mid-game companies to get to the 6 train, it seems you are at a big disadvantage, as your opponent will have plenty of time to raise their share value while yours is decreasing, and by the time you get your 6 train, even with a robust network, the bank will be running dry soon, so your share value is unlikely to recover.

Starting a late-game company seems even riskier, as you will have to sell off shares in something that's likely performing well to be able to float it, due to the certificate limit. And even in that case, you'd have to get it floated early enough that it could have more than a few operating rounds AND it would need a network it could plug right into and start running at 6 right off the bat. Seems unlikely.

The only way I can think of is to float one of the late game companies solely for its starting capital, and then sell it a 3 train, thus infusing an early company with enough money to buy the 6. This seems viable, but still risky, as you'd still need to divest yourself of a company likely performing well to float it. Does anyone have any experience with this or thoughts on how to do it? Or is it rare for the 6 to come out without the expansions/minor companies and more money for the bank?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the best way to get the 6 trains in play is to increase the bank size. I've only played Unit 2 once, so that's all I can offer, but I think the default bank is fairly small.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Who cares if the company is running well? Float the new company for a low par, buy out the good trains from the other company, buy new trains, run them well, multi-jump your stock-appreciation through the roof, win.

1825 is not about running good companies. 1825 is about getting shares cheaply, shoving good trains into them multi-jumping up and then selling out to do the same thing with another company. Timing and position is everything. If your 6-trains are not coming out you're simply ignoring the cash opportunities laying right in front of you. Buy nice $40 shares, pay $200 dividends and watch that stock appreciation fly.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Who cares if the company is running well? Float the new company for a low par, buy out the good trains from the other company, buy new trains, run them well, multi-jump your stock-appreciation through the roof, win.

1825 is not about running good companies. 1825 is about getting shares cheaply, shoving good trains into them multi-jumping up and then selling out to do the same thing with another company. Timing and position is everything. If your 6-trains are not coming out you're simply ignoring the cash opportunities laying right in front of you. Buy nice $40 shares, pay $200 dividends and watch that stock appreciation fly.


I see what you mean in theory, I guess I just haven't seen how this works mechanically in the games we've played. Often our networks just can't accommodate such things - with aggressive tile playing and the limited number of upgrades, coupled with station blocking, the networks just haven't existed for us that we can plug right into.

For instance, the LNWR has fairly easy access to a lot of high value cities, and remains in good position in this regard in Phase 3 as well, so it seems foolish to sell it off to finance a big train for the GCR, say, unless that network is robust enough to push the 6 train to 40 and 50 value cities. And competition for tiles and stations hasn't allowed for the establishing of such a network in our games.

Also, how do you get par at $40? As I understand it, par is set at the share price - so $71 for the late companies in Unit 2. Are you suggesting just withholding from these companies to get the share price down? And anyway, don't shares from the IPO still sell at face value ($71) even after the company has floated? In our games, the late companies have often jumped up 2 at a time, but this only happens for a few turns, and usually by that time the end-game is upon us. We've rarely had a late-game company end up higher than the low-mid $100s.

Anyway, we've only played three games, and this last game I began to see many things I had not thought of before, so I'm not arguing - I'm sure our noob status has much to do with it. I do like this game very much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
cayluster wrote:
I see what you mean in theory, I guess I just haven't seen how this works mechanically in the games we've played. Often our networks just can't accommodate such things - with aggressive tile playing and the limited number of upgrades, coupled with station blocking, the networks just haven't existed for us that we can plug right into.


Part of the trick is to have companies build track for the company that is about to come next and take-over.

Quote:
Also, how do you get par at $40?


Ooops, my bad. I forgot that the 1825 majors have fixed pars (several of the minors however have layer-set pars). I've' been playing too many other 18xx games with flexible pars lately and it has been a while since I played 1825.

Quote:
In our games, the late companies have often jumped up 2 at a time, but this only happens for a few turns, and usually by that time the end-game is upon us. We've rarely had a late-game company end up higher than the low-mid $100s.


The key is what the growth was, not where it ended up on the stock market. Which gave more investment growth?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played for the first time. I stripped the trains out of the L&Y into the Midland (allowing the Midland to pay $36 a share, which is huge in this game.) Meanwhile the L&Y in receivership was renting a 6-train and building up funds. The bank broke by about $40 at the end of a set of ORs, but if it hadn't, the L&Y would have had enough to buy a smaller train from the Midland and fund a 6-train.

In some ways, the 6-trains are a default purchase for companies in receivership (and I think, after just one play, that with good play, companies will go into receivership.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.