United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Second Board Game Geek Secret Santa: Print & Play Edition!

An introduction to Print & Play: On the geek, there are a plethora of FREE games, there for the taking! The catch? YOU have to make them! Some simply require you to print and cut out, while others are much more complicated. In addition, you can make a quick player's copy, or take your time and make a masterpiece.

This Secret Santa event does two things: it lets us experience the wonderful feeling of giving someone a gift that you made yourself, and also lets us find and promote games that otherwise go overlooked.

The Rules

1. TO ENTER, send a geekmail to me with your full address (make sure to include country and a contact phone number for the courier service).

2. My goal is to include EVERYONE, and so I'm allowing ALL COUNTRIES to participate. If you would prefer to send in your own country, please mention that. Let me know if it's just a preference or a requirement so I can fiddle things around accordingly.

3. If you have any special notes for your Santa, include them in the geekmail. This includes any wishlist requests.

4. The cutoff is November 16th, to give me time to match targets and everyone enough time to create and mail their games.

5. You are expected to create a Print and Play game and pay for the postage to mail it to your target. Please put some time and TLC into your creations - and remember that this is about the giving, not the receiving.

6. No remaking copyrighted games without permission. No one is going to go around and be the copyright police - just keep in mind that creating a game that designers are trying to make a profit with is hurting the industry, and our hobby as a result.

7. A minimum of 10 pages of components would be a good "guideline" for printing out. Zombie in my Pocket for example, has 2 pages of components. So you should print out another game. Of course, feel free to do more! This is about the giving.

*Thanks to CasualSax for running this the first year, and for letting me copy his nice announcement thread. ninja

Some Useful Links:
The Print and Play Guild
Print and Play Games Construction Tips and More Links
PnP Podcast (by FNH)
PnP Game Suggestions

Once you get your games, post what you got to this geeklist here:
Print and Play Secret Santa-- Here's what my Santa made me! (2009)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
Re: Print and Play - Secret Santa - Join Now!
More useful links:
Print n Play Games That People Actually Play (geeklist)
Free-to-print games that might actually be worth printing (geeklist)
Games That Are Free To Print and Play (geeklist)
Games you can make yourself (geeklist)

The Canonical List of Free Print-and-Play Games 0-9 (geeklist)
The Canonical List of Free Print-and-Play Games A-D (geeklist)
The Canonical List of Free Print-and-Play Games E-H (geeklist)
The Canonical List of Free Print-and-Play Games I-L (geeklist)
The Canonical List of Free Print-and-Play Games M-P (geeklist)
The Canonical List of Free Print-and-Play Games Q-T (geeklist)
The Canonical List of Free Print-and-Play Games U-Z (geeklist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great idea and I'd like to join it, but I'm not that great at putting stuff together like print and play games. What standard of construction do I need to be able to do, I've made two before and they were largely functional, but I don't have a ton of experience. Is it better I wait till next year and make a few myself to get better in the meantime?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, sometimes it's the first step of printing everything out that scares me away from a pnp project. Perhaps someone would be happy to receive a printed out "kit" of a game, someone without great resources for printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Santa
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Ho ho ho, Jolly Santa here from the Great White North wishing you a Merry Christmas
badge
Ho ho ho! It tickles when you poke me like that. Don't make me put you on the naughty list!
mbmbmbmbmb

Once you get your target, you can use this special account to send secret mail to your target! Tease them, taunt them, ask them about their preferences.

Quote:
To Send Secret Mail:
User: santa
Password: password

Don't abuse this or I'll put you on the naughty list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also a good idea to list some suggestions for your Secret Santa in your profile. Clearly label it Secret Santa Print and Play. Put some different categories of games you want, or some particular games.

You can also send me some suggestions with your address, to be included in the "target email" I'll send out on the 17th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. My print and play efforts tend to be largely functional. I'm not very good at the works of art I see some people create on this site. I hope my mystery target will be cool with that.

Between this, regular secret santa, and wargame secret santa I'll be sending out all kinds of gifts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in once more. Had fun last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx to Frank (linael) for pointing me here!

Though initially I was deliberating to participate, I am slowly getting an idea what I might contribute with for this Secret Santa ninja

Though I will brose the PnP sections (again ) to check on the various possibilities...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have update my profile with a Print and Play Secret Santa section and I find it nice since it is possible to list games through their Game ID (direct link to the game page here on BGG) and list the games in rank of preference (favourite game first).

Now I have to send Howitzer_120mm my address to make shure I am in, 'cause I forgot about it blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
I have five designs for the microbadge that could (if the gods of BGG are willing) be awarded to all Print & Play Secret Santa 2009 participants.

Please choose your favorite - the microbadge with the most votes will be the one awarded.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
66.7% 26
30.8% 12
0.0% 0
2.6% 1
0.0% 0
Voters 39
This poll is now closed.   39 answers
Poll created by linael
Closes: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a game standard guide for this Secret Santa? For example, in regular Secret Santa the instructions say to use Ticket to Ride as a guideline (but you can feel free to go above and beyond). This is intended to help prevent people just buying the cheapest possible thing on their targets wishlist.

I was wondering if there was a similar guideline for the PnP Secret Santa. Is Zombie in my Pocket too easy to create or just right? I know that I'd feel bad if I made someone Cheese Chasers for their gift and then I got back To The Last Man! for my gift. And while I know that this about the giving, I'd also be a tiny bit annoyed if that situation was reversed and I'd spent hours creating something only to receive the single sheet print out from Dice of the Living Dead in return.

Also, is the Secret Santa limited to free Print and Play games or could we conceivably make a pay-to-print game like Hornet Leader II?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Merchant of Venus as a guideline

Just kidding. Though I would love to have this game...

I would say something like Zombie in my Pocket or Free Trader schould be somewhere near the guideline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
more projects.. great. I'm In! Missed it last year and was kinda bummed cuz I found out about it too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
Argh!

Next year!
I'll do it... I must!
Is there some kind of "remind me please" subscription for next year's PnP santa?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linael wrote:
How about Merchant of Venus as a guideline

Just kidding. Though I would love to have this game...

I would say something like Zombie in my Pocket or Free Trader schould be somewhere near the guideline.

If you want to make Zombie in my Pocket, then I suggest you add in a few more games (like Ambagibus and Cheese Chasers for example).

I would think a minimum of 10 pages of components would be a good "guideline" but I encourage that you do more if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rudolfoaligieri123 wrote:
Argh!

Next year!
I'll do it... I must!
Is there some kind of "remind me please" subscription for next year's PnP santa?

There's still time for this years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would think a minimum of 10 pages of components would be a good "guideline" but I encourage that you do more if you can.

Maybe we should add this line to the rules above.

meeplecool 10 pages is a huge gift, considering it all has to be colour printed, assembled, glued, laminated, brushed, sculptured,... I am looking forward to this challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
Is there a game standard guide for this Secret Santa? For example, in regular Secret Santa the instructions say to use Ticket to Ride as a guideline (but you can feel free to go above and beyond). This is intended to help prevent people just buying the cheapest possible thing on their targets wishlist.

Also, is the Secret Santa limited to free Print and Play games or could we conceivably make a pay-to-print game like Hornet Leader II?

I added a "10 page" guideline. Does this work with people? This seems a bit "low", but I didn't want to shut people out.

Re: Pay to Print Games:
Most "pay" games you are buying one copy. So if you want to buy a copy (or another copy) then I think that would be perfectly fine. Personally I don't have any "pay" games on my wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What should be the guideline number of component (not rules) pages for the Secret Santa?
0 - No restrictions! Let generosity reign!
1-5 Small Size Game
6-10 Medium Size Game
11-20 Large Size Game
21-40 Monster Size Game
Other - Please respond below
      63 answers
Poll created by Howitzer_120mm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I join? I do not have the skills that many on here do but have traded for quite a few PnP games and therefore have plenty to give but would definitely not be able to fulfill many of the custom wishlists of others.
Clearly, if I was lucky enough to draw
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
or
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or
Cory Williamson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mb
or
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

or many many many others as my Santa then I would definitely be receiving something much nicer than I was sending. I would hate to disappoint somebody.
So, I am conflicted. This SS sounds like fun, but I am afraid that I will get much better than I give (which does not seem fair).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
rudolfoaligieri123 wrote:
Argh!

Next year!
I'll do it... I must!

There's still time for this years!

Believe me, I would.
But I do not own a color printer, so I would have to go to the print-shop. Besides I don't know if my "I like this print" standards meet people expectations and this secret santa requirements. And I would like to participate fully in the action, so I must think about shipping costs to States... And those are currently killing me. I don't want this feeling that I'm close-minded or left-out.

Besides it takes a lot of time for me to assemble a game, so I would probably have to start two months earlier and then bet on my luck that the game I spent my time on will be on my random target's list, and if not, that person will like and enjoy it anyway. It would be really hurtful if that target would write "that is not what I wanted, and it sucks" - I know I'm making a bit of drama here, and people would be probably more opened, but anyways...

Besides 10 pages seems A LOT to me. So I must do my best so this 4-5 pages game I would make would be accepted and well-done enough so that 5 missing pages would be forgiven. Quality over quantity?

And if you are looking for the games around 10 pages there are PnP games from the contest I organized while ago. One of the requirements was so the game would fit on 8 pages. Adding rulebook that would be it:
Deep Space Disaster
Mithril Miners
Route Z
Vampires' Dance

Good luck.
I'll join you next year. I promise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hey guys - to clarify.... November 16th... is that the cutoff to sign up or when things ship?

THANKS!

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
badge
-- -- parkibricks -- --
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in !
Geekmail sent and color laser printer is warming up.

Raiderjakk wrote:
Hey guys - to clarify.... November 16th... is that the cutoff to sign up or when things ship?

I hope it's the end of signing up. I can't get a game done in 1,5 week robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.