Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred ZILBERMANN
France
Juvignac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

I bought the game because basicaly I love the CoC thingie and I knew I could make my fiancée play it. But now, I don't know where to begin. She's a player, she likes hand management card games, to be honest that's the kinda game she prefers, but sometimes I have hard times making her get into a game.

For example I introduced her to Race for the galaxy because I knew she would like it, altho she's not fond of SciFi but I told her planets could easily be switched for greek cities for the matter The first games were pretty tense ("I'm not gonna get it before long", "I won't win 'till 2034 A.D.", etc.) but she eventualy liked the game a lot.

I feel like CoC LCG will be a bit harder to explain and to learn but it really worths it.

So have you any tips on how to explain the game so to be clear (I'm a gamer for quite a long time and had explained many games but I won't say I'm the best man for the job ), are there some rules that can be easily dropped at first, some kinda "newbie mode".

Any tip of advice or experience on how you succeeded in such cases as mine will be greatly apprecied.

Thanks and my apologizes for my bad english, being a frog soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Imperium - coming sometime
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Do you have just one core set or more? As that makes a difference, with 3 core sets you can make a single faction deck which is a bit easier and more consistent (as you can put 3 copies of the cards into the deck).

Assuming you only have the core set you're going to have to play 2 factions each - at that point you need to work out what will be best for her at the start, factions she can get behind thematically, or factions that are easier to play.

Agency is fairly straightforward - and thematically easy - they go out and hunt the bad guys, of course that means you play the bad guys, either the monsters or maybe the Syndicate.

Add to the Agency the MU - again they are the good guys, and they're a speed rush style with weakness in combat and terror, which the Agency will cover.

That way you end up with a deck that is likely to win early and isn't to 'tricky' with doing things in your opponents turn.

Just a suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred ZILBERMANN
France
Juvignac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You guessed right, I have only core set for the moment, of course if I succeed into making her like it, I'll buy expansions (2 of them are published in french so far, with more to come of course).

Thank you for your tips, I'll stick to what you told me, it will be easier like that.

Any advice on how to explain the rules by themselves ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Imperium - coming sometime
mbmbmbmbmb
Saeros Melian wrote:
You guessed right, I have only core set for the moment, of course if I succeed into making her like it, I'll buy expansions (2 of them are published in french so far, with more to come of course).

Thank you for your tips, I'll stick to what you told me, it will be easier like that.

Any advice on how to explain the rules by themselves ?

It's pretty well explained here.

Just go through a demo few turns, explaining the cards and winning stories and combat. Then I'd shuffle up the decks and play a few turns with cards open (ie all face up). Then play a 'real' game but if things get confusing stop and explain, especially how disrupts and responses can apply. Given your limited card pool you can't deliberately pull the more complicated cards as you won't have enough to play and I really don't recommend trying a 3 faction deck ...

[Edit] - main thing is integrate the theme into the explanation, you're trying to work out the GOOs plan to take over the world (or whatever), it's like a short CoC story - you'll go investigating, I tend to describe the stories as locations, seems to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred ZILBERMANN
France
Juvignac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Indeed I forgot the demo which could be a good start on how to explain the all stuf. I'll do as you advise and see how it goes. I'll post the results here !

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.