Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received a response from Driftwood Games to my email about the release of the HQ expansion. This is what it said:

Thank you so much for your interest and support of the game. Arctic Scavengers has been purchased by a major publisher that will be printing the base game bundled with the expansion as part of a professional release sometime next year. Stay tuned to BGG and/or DriftwoodGames.com for the details. A press release should be out later this month.

Kyle Gabhart
Driftwood Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bruce
Canada
flag msg tools
I just received a similar email response to the same question. Unfortunately this puts me in a position where I really need to think about whether or not I want to rebuy the base game in order to play the expansion(s). It kind of sucks to go out of your way to get an early copy of a game and support an indie game house to get burned when it gets picked up for major distribution.:yuk: Ah well....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat, but I will probably rebuy the game just because I think the expansion will turn the base game into a great game. I look forward to the announcement of who the major publisher is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettore Gislon
Italy
Milan
Lombardia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll buy it because it looks awesome, but I really hope that the developers will still make some money from it, it would be very sad to see such a great concept being sold to the great distribution without a constant benefit for the indies who designed it :C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was waiting to see the effect of the expansion on replayability before picking this up, so this is great news for me! Unfortunately it means waiting longer... Still, I'm looking forward to seeing the full version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ripley
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great News for Arctic Scavengers and Kyle!
I wouldn't consider a purchase of the "indie" version of the game a loss but an investment in the hobby we love. We've helped "one of our own" get to the next level.

Seems like there are 2 possibilities with the new situation.

1. There could be a letter writing campaign from original game owners requesting a limited release of the expansion - say to everyone that sent in a picture of themselves holding the original game box.

2. there is a chance that the new expansion cards wont quite match the cards (in size or look-n-feel or coloring) from the original set, which could be annoying. if they were sold separately.

Onward Kyle and other BGG game designers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Runebound dealt with this by having a limited period discount on the 2nd edition if you cashed in an essential card from your purchased 1st edition.

Zev did something similar with the Pandemic card replacement plan, so depending on who publishes it, it might already be something being considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll still buy it. The first edition is quite portable as it is. It was a big hit when I brought it to church camp with the teens. The small box size earned it a spot in my bag. I think it was played at least 10 times that week. I often had to give up my hand so that someone else could jump into the game who arrived to the table late. We'd often get a game in right before or after a meal.

The first edition will become my travel set and the expansion will be used more at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Official announcement is now posted - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/466927
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.