David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Netflix posted a challenge to improve it's recommendation engine.

So if you rented a Jason Statham movie, chances are it would recommend more Jason Statham movies, maybe some Jet Li, Stephen Segal... if you rented one 80s Harold Ramis comedy, it would suggest other 80s Harold Ramis comedies.

If you liked anything directed by Judd Apatow, it would just suggest the same movie you just watched... it was a bit of a head scratcher, but not entirely unexpected.

The problem is, it broke-down, HARD, on what to suggest to someone who liked Napoleon Dynamite. So it became known as "the napoleon dynamite problem"

So, my question for you... is can anyone think of a game that defies recommendations based on being liked? Most of the designer games I can think of share a common thread with the designer, or a mechanic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Since anyone who liked Napoleon Dynamite is clearly a moron, that seems like a perfectly functional engine. I guess I might have had it recommend to that person that they improve their taste in movies, but that seems awfully specific.

As for a game, I have no idea. I was going to suggest a half-dozen different things, but every time I came up with something I immediately thought of another dozen ways to connect it to a different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Since anyone who liked Napoleon Dynamite is clearly a moron, that seems like a perfectly functional engine. I guess I might have had it recommend to that person that they improve their taste in movies, but that seems awfully specific.

In that same vein, I tried going with the dumbest game I could think of... LCR ...and I came up with lots of improvements on dice rolling.

Admittedly, Dominion when it was a stand-alone, comes darn close to defying most of the recommendations I can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
Netflix posted a challenge to improve it's recommendation engine.

So if you rented a Jason Statham movie, chances are it would recommend more Jason Statham movies, maybe some Jet Li, Stephen Segal... if you rented one 80s Harold Ramis comedy, it would suggest other 80s Harold Ramis comedies.

If you liked anything directed by Judd Apatow, it would just suggest the same movie you just watched... it was a bit of a head scratcher, but not entirely unexpected.

The problem is, it broke-down, HARD, on what to suggest to someone who liked Napoleon Dynamite. So it became known as "the napoleon dynamite problem"

So, my question for you... is can anyone think of a game that defies recommendations based on being liked? Most of the designer games I can think of share a common thread with the designer, or a mechanic...

Strange. Someone who liked Napoleon Dynamite would probably like Blades of Glory, Superbad, and Rushmore. How hard is it to predict?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:

Strange. Someone who liked Napoleon Dynamite would probably like Blades of Glory, Superbad, and Rushmore. How hard is it to predict?

Not really. I mean, besides the fact that Napoleon Dynamite is a huge steaming pile of monkey puke... Blades of Glory is an all-out star-driven slapstick comedy like Anchorman, Happy Gilmore, or Caddyshack--Napoleon Dynamite has pretenses of being more subtle than that. Superbad is a raunchy teen comedy like American Pie or Porky's, Napoleon Dynamite is about teenagers but definitely not for them and not raunchy at all. Rushmore is totally unique, and really only connected for people who enjoy the whole Wes Anderson thing--and Napoleon Dynamite doesn't really fit that group either. I can see where the engine would falter--because the larger groups those other movies intersect have almost no intersection with Napoleon Dynamite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

The games have "recommendations" based on how many people rate a given pair of games highly. Ncik has made a nice visual representation of the recommendations of the top 250 games here, and several games are somewhat stranded. The Wings of War, Blood Bowl, and HeroScape entries are linked only with themselves, and Thebes and Downfall of Pompeii are linked only with each other. His geeklist on the topic mentions a number of games that weren't strongly linked enough to any other game, which includes even the BGG top 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ralpher wrote:

You would have pwned hard in that competition, bro. You should have entered.

http://www.techdirt.com/blog.php?tag=napoleon+dynamite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There it was, staring at me this morning:

Twilight Struggle.

I cannot think of any game I could recommend to someone who said, "I liked Twilight Struggle" with any degree of certainty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
There it was, staring at me this morning:

Twilight Struggle.

I cannot think of any game I could recommend to someone who said, "I liked Twilight Struggle" with any degree of certainty.

Um, er, ah, ... 1960: The Making of the President? ...Not to mention the hundreds of other world conquest games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree with a previous poster who questioned the usefulness of interacting with anyone who liked Napoleon Dynamite, I think it would be hard to find a game with a similar mechanic to The Bottle Imp, though it is, in general, a trick taking card game, of which there are MANY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

In that same vein, I tried going with the dumbest game I could think of... LCR ...and I came up with lots of improvements on dice rolling.

Admittedly, Dominion when it was a stand-alone, comes darn close to defying most of the recommendations I can think of.

I'm not sure. Even though it comes in one box, Dominion functions just like any number of CCGs out there. Not too hard to find another one to fill that void.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tmredden wrote:
bippi wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

I'm not sure. Even though it comes in one box, Dominion functions just like any number of CCGs out there. Not too hard to find another one to fill that void.

I don't know many where you build the deck as you're playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

I don't know many where you build the deck as you're playing.

I haven't played that much Dominion, but my understanding is that you "build the deck" with all the cards for both players at the start of, not during, the game. I see your point in picking and choosing which cards you want to add in to your deck each turn, but the possibility of inclusion is already predetermined. That really says more about how the cards in your Dominion hand are limited, not how the deck is expanded.

Another similar game for deck production/card selection is Blue Moon though the games play very differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.