Thumb up
2 Posts

20000 Mijlen onder zee» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Review after testing in Essen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Albani
flag msg tools
My Brother, a friend and I tried this game on the University Games booth at Essen 09.
The Board consists of an circular Field.
In the Middle is the Submarine, which is used to deternime the diving depth (+1, 0 or -1) and the Direction (there are 8 Directions: North, Northwest, West...), where "interesting things" can be found...
These things, like sharks, shipwracks, supplies must be collected to gain points. The circle around the Sub, shows this items, one for every depth of the Ship and for every direction, the ship can face , so 24 items to collect. About half of the items are placed open, so u can see, what you get, some are hidden until you get them.
The game is split into 3 phases, and in every phase, there is a new Set of 24 items to collect.

The players play a hand card (everyone has the same set of cards at the beginning) which shows the action, he wants to do, and a number, which determines by its height, in which order the players do their turns.
Cards let you turn the Sub in an 90° angle or the Ocean in a 45° angle?!, changes the depht of the Sub and so on.
The handcards must be used wisely, because once played, you wont get them back. After the Sub has moved, the player is allowed to take the Item that is now in front of the boat, to his scoring table.
There you collect rows like 1. Shark, 2. Island, 3. Shipwrack (this one is in the first round, if i remember right)
You get points, if you have this items in the right order, less points of some parts are missing or in wrong order.
After one player hat gotten his third item in the played game phase, this round is over and the next one starts.

After round 3, you can get some additional points, for good placing of items on your scoretable.
Effectively, the board delivers a very overproduced way, do distribute 9 items to the players... Not especially a game for GameGeeks, but i can´t decline is was a little fun.

Final Words: The game could be a good choice for older Children, but as an adult, the mechanics are a little to simple for me (although the game allows tactical play).
Are the 20 Euros worth it? Well, i think they could be spent worse...

PS: After playing the game, the winner (the friend of mine) was allowed to spin a fortunewheel on the booth and won the game! So i think there will be some session reports for this game in the future!
Oh, and sorry about my bad english, but i hope it helps more, than to write a review in german (at least for the most of you)!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for your review, which brought this game to my awareness.

You're to be commended for providing a review in English. It is much better than any attempt I could make at my rusty high school German!

The game is graphically very attractive. Your point about its appeal for children vs. adult geeks is well taken.

Thanks again for the look at something I otherwise would not have noticed.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.