GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,912 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
84 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Thrift Guild Secret Santa Discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: thrift [+] [View All]
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Thrift Guild, consisting of the cheapskates extremely intelligent bargain hunters that we are, is contemplating having a Secret Santa (or anonymous Santa math trade) alongside the wonderful Secret Santa Tom Vasel puts together every year. This thread is to discuss details for this...

I ask that ONLY members of the Thrift Guild (as of 3 Nov 2009) or REGULAR contributors of teh weekly Thrift lists participate on the thread as we consider options, BUT the actual Secret Santa/math trade will be more open. The only reason I ask for the limit is that the regular Guild members are familiar with what folks find.

NOTE: There are a smattering of polls throughout this thread, please visit these as I am using them to collect concepts for how to run this whole thing. The latest polls areon page 3, but polls are more or less mutually exclusive, so please answer all of them.

Thanks!

- First Citizen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As posted before...

Quote:
Perhaps an anonymous math trade would make more sense where you would only find out who you are shipping your game to but not what game you're getting. That might encourage people to increase the quality of the game they're entering.

The downside is that some people might not match up and whoever runs the math trade would have to figure it out offline somehow.

Glad there's other smart people here who might be able to figure this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll participate, but I'm not smart enough to figure out which way the thing should go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As posted in the Finds GL:

Quote:
pmboos wrote:
Perhaps we create a GL with each person considering regularly thrifted items as wants and putting them there?

That's a good idea. There are plenty of things that we'd "love to thrift" but wouldn't put on our trade-want list simply because we believe we could thrift it someday. But if a fellow thrifter sent us such a thing as a secret santa gift, well that would be sweet!

I think the difficulty might be in whether you happen to have anything the other person wants, being as thrifting is so serendipitous and some of us have smaller collections than others. Perhaps the thing to do would be to list 15-20 items in order of presumed difficulty to find (thus, "value"). If your secret santa has nothing from the top of your list, maybe they can send you two of the more common things from the bottom of your list. And maybe one or two broad categories , just in case your santa can't find anything.

Partial example:

Acquire
221 Baker St.
Scotland Yard
Heroscape bits
Big Boggle
Category: Gamewright games, games for 5 year olds, or parts: metal pawns

Also, we should maybe start really early (like in the next couple of weeks) so that we have time to search things our recipient wants if our own collection lacks it. That's my two cents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please answer this poll as it may help us format the concept. Eidit: Poll will close on 8 Nov.

Poll
What format shoudl we use for this?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Secret Santa format - names randomly assigned between sign-ups
44.7% 17
Math Trade format - games exchanged based on perceived want values between folks
55.3% 21
Other format? Please enter comment
0.0% 0
Voters 38
What aspects should be considered in determining exchanges?
Wants/Desires of People
89.7% 35
Condition of Game (realizing everything being offered will be another's thrift finds)
46.2% 18
Location/postage costs (due to size or distance)
53.8% 21
Value of game
30.8% 12
Purchase cost of game
12.8% 5
Uniqueness of find
41.0% 16
Other? Please comment
0.0% 0
Voters 39
Should incomplete games be considered?
Yes
12.8% 5
Yes, but only if they are highly valuable
25.6% 10
Yes, any should be allowed to help people complete copies they may have
33.3% 13
No
20.5% 8
Not sure
7.7% 3
Voters 39
Should a bundle of games be allowed? Bundle meaning that more than one will be shipped ot the same location as a lot.
Yes
48.7% 19
Yes, if w/in a math trade, as long as one game matches the person's desire
25.6% 10
Yes, if w/in a math trade, the "value" is increased for the fact that it is multiple games
10.3% 4
Yes, if w/in a math trade, the "value" is decreased for the fact that it is multiple games, since the other games folks may not want
0.0% 0
No
2.6% 1
Not sure
12.8% 5
Voters 39
This poll is now closed.   39 answers
Poll created by pmboos
Closes: Sun Nov 8, 2009 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:
Perhaps an anonymous math trade would make more sense where you would only find out who you are shipping your game to but not what game you're getting. That might encourage people to increase the quality of the game they're entering.

The downside is that some people might not match up and whoever runs the math trade would have to figure it out offline somehow.
I guess there's more risk that you might not get to do something nice for someone... but the benefit of doing it as a math trade is that you don't have to risk offending someone by not being able to meet their expectations. I can see a lot of merit in that.

Maybe so that we ensure everyone can participate in some act of holiday fun, we can run a thrifty math trade list and a holiday card "secret santa" where people just send holiday greetings and good cheer to a secret santa participant? Maybe that's too corny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
In the interest of determining general "value" and in the spirit of the Thrift Guild... perhaps "value" could relate to the number of thumbs the item received when posted to the weekly thrift list.

Just a thought. It has problems of course, as day of the week and cleverness of report can greatly affect the number of thumbs received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
In the interest of determining general "value" and in the spirit of the Thrift Guild... perhaps "value" could relate to the number of thumbs the item received when posted to the weekly thrift list.

Just a thought. It has problems of course, as day of the week and cleverness of report can greatly affect the number of thumbs received.

Excellent suggestion! Perhaps Meat's code he uses for helping crown the King (in exile of course) could be used for this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional poll question:

Poll
Should non-game items be allowed? (We'll need suggestions on how to express these as wants...)
Yes
31.6% 12
No
55.3% 21
Not Sure
13.2% 5
Voters 38
This poll is now closed.   38 answers
Poll created by pmboos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
Perhaps $-value shouldn't be considered at all. Let's face it, we are talking dollar'n'cents finds here. I'll leave ebay value out of the equation, if you have purchased it for profit, then take the profit.

So maybe quality could be measured by the rating at BGG: for instance anything rated 6.0 or higher is ok?
Or maybe a blacklist can be created instead? Anything on that list won't do.

Just brainstorming here of course. I like the idea, kudos for the initial launch in the thrift list.

PS. isn't there a country/continent matchup in the original SecretSanta? Shipping cost could be too high to make it work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering and really would like feedback from non-US folks about limiting the trades to say Europe only, Australia-New Zealand only, US only, etc. so that we have continental shipping costs. But then again, it may be cheap for Europe to ship to say Africa. So if there are limitations we should consider, then I would like to know what people think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I conceived this idea last night, I was envisioning getting a fellow thrifter's name. I would take a glance at their profile and see if I could come with something they might like based on their want/wish lists. I could pull something from my collection, or I could seek something from my local thrifts. It might be an exact game from their lists. It could be a game similar to something they would want. It might not be an exact match up. It could be slightly random. I do like Polycrafty's idea of a list. That could be helpful.

As far a value is concerned, I know that I usually spend $2-4 bucks for most of my games. Some of them are worth a little more, but most aren't. Knowing that I would receive something of similar value makes it okay. I won't be shipping an eBait game, nor would I expect one.

I think it could be a single game, or maybe two-three small card/dice fillers. Incomplete would be okay if easy replacements are available. It would also be okay if substitute parts are included, as long as they do not affect actually game play.

I do recognize shipping might be an issue for some people. Some games are large and/or heavy. That should be considered if you put together a list of your wants. It will be easier if your lists has smaller, lighter games in it. It is okay if they is something big and heavy in your lists. You might get lucky. Just don't expect it. In the U.S., a standard, euro-style game could be shipped priority mail for $10-14.

I just like the idea of a slightly random gift exchange. Our thrift hunts tend to be random by their nature. I think it would be fun to have a gift exchange that matches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of like the Secret Santa idea. We'd have to prowl through people's ranking of games, what they have, what they want & see if I can find/have something that might fill the bill.

Sounds like cheap fun to me.

It's just that everyone would have to get their collections up to date & maybe change their Top 10 to thrifted games they would like to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
I kind of like the Secret Santa idea. We'd have to prowl through people's ranking of games, what they have, what they want & see if I can find/have something that might fill the bill.

Sounds like cheap fun to me.

It's just that everyone would have to get their collections up to date & maybe change their Top 10 to thrifted games they would like to have.

Sounds good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I ask that ONLY members of the Thrift Guild (as of 3 Nov 2009) participate on the thread

Sorry to be posting , but HOW do you become a member of the Thrift Guild? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
What Ernie and Dwayne said. I'm happy to fill a flat rate priority box with fun stuff that I think someone will like. I'm not expecting eBait in return, just fun stuff that someone else was lucky enough to find cheaply (like Blokus Duo, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep this discussion going - I like it.

Here is another quick poll on some of the ideas thrown around so far:

Poll
How strongly do feel about the following:
  Strongly For It Somewhat For It Could Go Either Way Somewhat Against It Strongly Against It Vote Count
Using a Geeklist that people "register" themselves? 30.3% (10) 45.5% (15) 15.2% (5) 6.1% (2) 3.0% (1) 33
People assigned randomly? More Secret Santa-ish 42.4% (14) 27.3% (9) 12.1% (4) 15.2% (5) 3.0% (1) 33
games assigned randomly? More Math Trady 9.1% (3) 39.4% (13) 18.2% (6) 27.3% (9) 6.1% (2) 33
Using a list of games that people attempt to match? 15.2% (5) 27.3% (9) 39.4% (13) 15.2% (5) 3.0% (1) 33
Using a list of generic desires to match? 12.5% (4) 21.9% (7) 50.0% (16) 12.5% (4) 3.1% (1) 32
Total Voters 33
This poll is now closed.   33 answers
Poll created by pmboos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to the thrift guild, which is also in the header of the weekly thrift lists:

http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/193
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kilgore_Smores wrote:
Quote:
I ask that ONLY members of the Thrift Guild (as of 3 Nov 2009) participate on the thread

Sorry to be posting , but HOW do you become a member of the Thrift Guild? ninja

Go to our Guild:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/193

Upper right corner of the main content area of the page (not the upper menus), you should see a button/link to "Join this guild".

Modifying the initial "requirement" so that regular thrift list contributors may throw in their 2 cents as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I am not thumbing anyone's entries not because the comments aren't good, but as I put out these polls to pull this together, I don't want to influence people with what I think may or may not be good ideas. I want to sit back, be as neutral as I can, and put together what everyone likes.

Cheers!
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
BTW, I am not thumbing anyone's entries

I thumbed you because you gave me help. I thought there was some mysterious and ancient ritual I needed to go through to attain guild membership. Clicking 'join' was a little anticlimatic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, that (because it isn't related to the actual ideas being presented) is thumbable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should make it a WTF Secret Santa. Find the most WTFable thing at your thrift store and send it some unsuspecting chump! But you better watch out because Santa "WTF" Claus will return the favor to you. Imagine the thrill of sitting with your family on Christmas morning and opening Okiedokie's find of Strip Poker. Those would be memories that could last a lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kilgore_Smores wrote:
I thought there was some mysterious and ancient ritual I needed to go through to attain guild membership. Clicking 'join' was a little anticlimatic
I thought so too! Especially since there's an anthem and all, I thought there'd be more of a gamut to prove your thrift-worthiness. Maybe we should develop initiation rites...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kilgore_Smores wrote:
I thought there was some mysterious and ancient ritual I needed to go through to attain guild membership. Clicking 'join' was a little anticlimatic

Send your first ten finds to me, and I will pray to the thrift gods for you, in a secret midnight ritual. The ashes from the fire will be used to anoint you, and you will learn the words that must not be spoken aloud...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.