Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Bell
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Game Kastle in Santa Clara is having their annual game flea market. It's this Saturday November 7th at 10AM. I've gotten some great deals at past markets. Here's the link:

http://www.gamekastle.com/index.php?m=events#event194723

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaak
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of games are usually there? Euros? Ameritrash/wargames? CCGs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can expect a pretty good mix. I prefer Euro's, and I usually walk away with a dozen or more. I've seen a lot of Warhammer-style miniatures too. Some people sell older American games from the 60s and 70s (i.e. AH and SPI). There are probably some CCGs too, but I tend not to notice such things.

BTW this is a semiannual sale. It seems to happen in November and April.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Lee
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally will be selling some out-of-print games in as-new condition, including Capitol, San Marco, Medina, etc. Hope to see some of you there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love game kastle, I was there once. To bad its 2310 miles away....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde Nagakura
United States
Los Gatos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
russe1g wrote:
I personally will be selling some out-of-print games in as-new condition, including Capitol, San Marco, Medina, etc. Hope to see some of you there!

I'll be there.
I was originally planning to just shop, but signed up as a seller to clear some space for new games.

I've not attended the previous Game Kastle flea markets, so I don't know what to expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back, had to leave before I spent anymore money. Thanks to the sellers.

I got:

Federation Commander: Klingon Border
Tales of the Arabian Nights the older version was there also
RoboRally
RoboRally: Armed and Dangerous
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

I missed out on:
Dominion $5
And Dominion again but coupled with Dominion: Intrigue for $30 total
I saw Space Hulk floating around and a bunch of copies of Memoir '44
Lots of popular games for $20, very generous sellers giving out nice sweeteners and willing to haggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Perry
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a good haul too.

Shadows over Camelot
Big City
Acquire
Chicago Express
Dice Town

All for less than $100 and all in really good condition!

I got Agricola for a friend too for a good deal.

Overall, a very successful day. I went in April and for some reason decided I would wait until noon to go. Needless to say, there wasn't much left, and I walked away empty handed.

I didn't see the Dominion and I was there right at 10:00! I still haven't gotten around to getting a copy, and it was on my list of hopefuls. I would have dropped $5 for it in a second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco vazquez
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
what!! Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue for $30! I was there before 10 am and I did not see any copies of Dominion. This is my third time attending and it seems like either the seller arrives later during the day or is holding onto the game to be displayed later when the crowds die down. I think next time I'll ask if they have more games that they are not showing.

I would have been all over dominion in a heartbeat!

I picked up the expansion to shadow over camelot for $5

Vikings for $15

and Fossil for $10.

Not sure about Fossil as I've read mix reviews online. For $10, it does not hurt to try it out and see how my friends react to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear ya Marco, although neither were being hidden.

I overheard someone complaining that he thought the sale didn't start until 1030 (it started at 10, I was there at 930). As in nearly every flea market or yard sale the early birds get the worm. Even other dealers can't overlook a really good deal they notice during setup. There were a bunch.

My advice would be get to garage sales and flea market about 20 minutes before they are technically open. Why 20 minutes? Because I'll be there 30 minutes before and don't want you to get my bargain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco vazquez
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, because I got there at 9:45 am and I did'nt see any Dominion game out on display. So after my posting, I thought, unless the game was sold to somebody before 10 am. Then I can see why I would never had seen this game out at 9:50 am. If I had one complaint, it will be to find a way to hold off the selling until 10 am. Like you said, next time I'll just show up ealier and hope to see a game somebody puts out and buy before people start showing up. I can't complain really as I got my first game (Vikings) at around 9:55 am but I can see somebody arriving a little after 10 am and seeing all the good stuff gone by then and never realized that game could have been sold before 10 am.

As my 3rd time doing this, I do noticed that it's hard to find a popular game among the stack. I do always see a lot of the days of wonder games. I don't know why, but maybe because they don't tend to have long term replay value. So maybe next time I'll find a copy of Small World for a great deal.

I've never attended the auction that the Concord or Oakland games store hold, but I've heard the selection of games tend to be better and it gives everybody a chance to make a bid on a game.

I do like the way game kastle has the flea market set up, but maybe they can find a way to incorporate a bidding system for the most current and hottest game so it gives everybody a chance to make a bid for it. Otherwise, like you said, I'm showing up 30 mins before 10 am to get it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know... you have a good point about selection. I wasn't out to steal games, although I know gamers can be competitive, I was more interested in finding some wishlist games at a decent price. I was only fortunate the sellers were willing to bargain.

That being said, kudos also go to Game Kastle for holding the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hung
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madvaz wrote:
what!! Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue for $30! I was there before 10 am and I did not see any copies of Dominion. This is my third time attending and it seems like either the seller arrives later during the day or is holding onto the game to be displayed later when the crowds die down. I think next time I'll ask if they have more games that they are not showing.

I would have been all over dominion in a heartbeat!

I picked up the expansion to shadow over camelot for $5

Vikings for $15

and Fossil for $10.

Not sure about Fossil as I've read mix reviews online. For $10, it does not hurt to try it out and see how my friends react to it.

I got there around 10:15 am and someone must have bought Dominion plus Dominion: Intrigue. For $30 I would have bought at a heart beat. This is only my first time attending but there were lot of sellers there.

I picked up Wizard's Quest ($10), Race for the Galaxy ($20), Race for the Galaxy Exp #1 (10), Saint Petersburg ($20), WOW Adventure Game Exp character (Orc Shaman & Human Paladin) $5 each, Chez Dork ($10).

My daughter picked up 3 DVD for $5.

Not bad for only 40 min shopping. I only was able to go through all the sellers twice.

--andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I picked up a bunch of good deals at the opening, but I kept leaving and coming back for more (once I refreshed my wallet).

I got my best deal at 2PM. A copy of Descent plus Road to Legend plus Well of Darkness plus Altar of Despair for $50. The expansion boxes are missing, so everything fits into a worn base box. The miniatures are in a Warhammer box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.