Recommend
21 
 Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Appoint a Wargaming Czar! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All decisions will be final!! We have too many experts here to ever agree on anything! We are as bad as Congress (U.S.) Someone needs to do a Poll on this!






Spoiler (click to reveal)
Just kidding!
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Opposite problem from Congress...there are NO experts there, on ANYTHING, well, except for fattening their own wallets.

I just ordered a t-shirt that says "Tar, feather, rail, politician..some assembly required".
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who finds the common usage of "czar" to mean some kind of honcho a bit silly, considering what happened to the last actual czar?
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdaddy wrote:
Am I the only one who finds the common usage of "czar" to mean some kind of honcho a bit silly, considering what happened to the last actual czar?


Tell it to Obama!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
Kingdaddy wrote:
Am I the only one who finds the common usage of "czar" to mean some kind of honcho a bit silly, considering what happened to the last actual czar?


Tell it to Obama!


Actually, tell it to Nixon - I believe the first use of the word "czar" to describe an official in charge of a certain area of policy dates to then.

And all Presidents have used it.

But yes Tom, it IS a silly word.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell it to the media. They started using the term in place of "adviser" back when Reagan appointed his drug Czar.

Edit: Whoops. I missed the Nixon thing. Before my time.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I nominate Patrick Carroll.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A benevolent dictatorship would have its advantages.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Crawford
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
All decisions will be final!! We have too many experts here to ever agree on anything! We are as bad as Congress (U.S.) Someone needs to do a Poll on this!






Spoiler (click to reveal)
Just kidding!


LOL I thought you were serious for a second. Another Poll, that will fix everything LOL. Or at least we need a couple of polls to determine if such a poll would be beneficial. Then we would need further polls to evaluate the results and come up with solutions. Then we'd have more polls because people then too would not be happy. Slippery slope.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jackolantern wrote:
A benevolent dictatorship would have its advantages.


If nominated, I will run. If elected, I will serve.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make so much more sense to simply stop fretting over the ratings. I'm sure many of you could have learned the rules to a new game in less time than you've squandered on threads debating whether a game is in or out, rated too high or too low.

It's madness, folks. Let it go. Relax and play a game. Personally, I'll be joining 3 friends for a first try of Magnifico tonight. I don't give a damn whether it's a wargame or not, I'm just hoping to slaughter my pals and have some fun.
26 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I nominate
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Cheers!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
It would make so much more sense to simply stop fretting over the ratings. I'm sure many of you could have learned the rules to a new game in less time than you've squandered on threads debating whether a game is in or out, rated too high or too low.

It's madness, folks. Let it go. Relax and play a game. Personally, I'll be joining 3 friends for a first try of Magnifico tonight. I don't give a damn whether it's a wargame or not, I'm just hoping to slaughter my pals and have some fun.
*talking behind my hand so no one else can here* pssst sphere, this thread is a joke.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jackolantern wrote:
A benevolent dictatorship would have its advantages.
Stuff benevolence, I want a corrupt military hard man with a sense of style.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
*talking behind my hand so no one else can here* pssst sphere, this thread is a joke.


I saw the mouseover, but don't see how the distinction matters. Moving on from wasting time fretting to wasting time making jokes about wasting time fretting doesn't seem like a major advance.

I'm off to re-read those Magnifico rules. I need to be sure I understand how to add improvements to Leonard's tank designs before I unleash my renaissance blitzkrieg.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
*talking behind my hand so no one else can here* pssst sphere, this thread is a joke.


I saw the mouseover, but don't see how the distinction matters. Moving on from wasting time fretting to wasting time making jokes about wasting time fretting doesn't seem like a major advance.
You must be new here, welcome to BGG
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Moving on from wasting time fretting to wasting time making jokes about wasting time fretting doesn't seem like a major advance.

In wargaming, not every advance can be a major advance.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
billyboy wrote:
Kingdaddy wrote:
Am I the only one who finds the common usage of "czar" to mean some kind of honcho a bit silly, considering what happened to the last actual czar?


Tell it to Obama!


Actually, tell it to Nixon - I believe the first use of the word "czar" to describe an official in charge of a certain area of policy dates to then.

And all Presidents have used it.

But yes Tom, it IS a silly word.


Leave to a former Civil Servant .... Nixon was before my time, but I do remember the: Just Say No days when the Reagan's had a Drug Czar....

However if the point is that the current President can break the cycle and come up with a more original if not just different name... that makes sense as well.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
I nominate Patrick Carroll.


I now understand the purpose of Harpo ... STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we should appoint a Czar Tsar to look into this whole proposal. Just as long as it is not a Zsa Zsa laugh
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
You must be new here, welcome to BGG


I think the trouble is that I'm not, and it's how much time I waste here that agitates me; I really don't care how others spend their time.

I get seduced into reading crap I don't care about day after day, and lament the time lost. It's an addiction, and not a healthy one. There are so many things I should be doing, and could be accomplishing, but often at the end of the day I find that all I've done is dawdle.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
Quote:
Appoint a Wargaming Czar!


That would be an Obamanation!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We must create a perfect robot master, and put it in charge.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goldenboat wrote:
We must create a perfect robot master, and put it in charge.


Cylon!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
goldenboat wrote:
We must create a perfect robot master, and put it in charge.


18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.