Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: newbie - Question about picking up clues? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi again...

In the rules it says that you only pick up clues when you END a movement phase on a location with a clue token. So what happens with the few investigators that start on a location with a red diamond, witch have a clue token placed on them at the initial board setup stage of the game? Do they automatically get that clue token or do they only get it if they move into the street and then back into the location and end there turn there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They wouldn't have to move off and back. They could choose not to move that turn and then pick up the clue after NOT moving. If they chose to leave and go someplace they would not get the clue from the space they left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, the only example I can think of is Kate Winthrop, and her character card says what to do. (She starts with the clue that goes on that space.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most investigators who start the game on unstable locations have a note saying that location does not start with a clue on it. I assume that the clue from that location is just added to the investigator's starting fixed possessions.

In those odd cases where the investigator card doesn't say that, I'd just give them the clue from that location anyway. Clearly, they ended their last movement there....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throughout the game, when placing clue tokens, if their is an investigator at the location, that investigator gets it instead of it being placed on the space. (see page 10 of the rules, under the heading "Place Clue Token".) Thus in the event of a character starting on a space with a clue token, they'd almost certainly get to start with it.

As of Innsmouth, there are only two characters where this is relevant. Kate Winthrop (base game), whose character card specifically starts her with the clue token from the location, and Ursula Downs (innsmouth), who can start on any non-Other World location or street.

Note: Ursula isn't protected by a Flux Stabilizer of Science! and so she could get sucked into a gate right away should she choose to start on an unstable location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
Tim Maloney seams to make more sense.. it says in the manual you only pick clues off the board if you END the moment phase on the clue tokin.. So I interpret that as you only pick up the token.. if you do not move at all in the moment phase.. like Tim said. The bit you are talking about is for placing clue token were investigators are.. i think that is a septate issue.. and one explained in the maunl as you said?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say you can only pick up Clues when you end your Movement Phase on a location or if you get one dumped on you during the Mythos Phase.

Kate is the only investigator that starts on an unstable location and her card tells you what to do for the beginning of the game (basically, her starting equipment takes it into account and no Clue is placed).

Ursula now may start anywhere. The new FAQ says if she starts in an Unstable location, she gets that clue as well.

The above is all fact and the correct way to play. The rest is my speculation...

What that IMPLIES to me (as it has for years, is that as long as you END your phase at any location, you get those Clues. The rules never supported this, this was just how I read it. The new FAQ that is about to come out, implies this is the correct interpretation many times but has never come out specifically and said, yes, this is the new rule. I have asked for that clarification to be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lam
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
foxx wrote:

Note: Ursula isn't protected by a Flux Stabilizer of Science! and so she could get sucked into a gate right away should she choose to start on an unstable location.

But then she will have 5 clues, hopefully enough to survive the trip and seal the gate. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mzonic wrote:
foxx wrote:

But then she will have 5 clues, hopefully enough to survive the trip and seal the gate. =)

Hastur says: Hi! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.