Subject: Taking a hit... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larz Welo
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I logged back on after a week offline to see that the admins had followed through on their threat and reformed the ratings for wargames. The first thing I noted was that a lot of great games are now more easily visible on the top. The second thing I immediately noticed is that PuG took a big hit in the ratings and almost slid out of the top 100.

I don't think anybody is upset, but was wondering if there were any reactions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the new rankings.

It just came to me that what we need is a wargame version of "The Hotness".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the "old" wargame ranking was a bit strange but it did let me know what the "new" up and coming wargames were (or the hidden gems that people recently found (like Angola)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its impressive we're still in the top 100. I welcome the new rankings, but Pursuit of Glory was never going to benefit from the changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Stock
United States
Elsah
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, my own private feelings aside, it is just a way to skew the outcome of algorithms to favor bigger sales. The fact that fewer people have bought and played a game, does not make it a worse game. So, I am really not sure what the new rankings accomplish other than to punish smaller companies or less visible games. The new ranking does not tell me what the 'best' games are, just the most popular with a larger sales base. That ranking system based on sales holds no interest for me at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.