Popular Tags: [View All]
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which version of Dominion would you recommend for a friend to purchase who has never played Dominion before, and is fairly board game savvy?
Dominion - Base/Core
Dominion: Intrigue
      91 answers
Poll created by LoweringTheBar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is more consistent with its artwork and the cards are more basic. If you play the base game and think the level of indirect competition is perfect, just stick with the base game. If you play the base game and find it too solitaire-ish, then it's time to buy Intrigue for the extra "screw you!" cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue has choice cards that are a bit more interesting as well. In Intrigue you are less likely to draw a hand that "plays itself."

In the base game, almost all of your decision making is regarding how to build your deck. When it comes down to playing the hand you are dealt, it is almost always very obvious what to do. Intrigue mixes that up a bit and adds a lot more options to how you play each hand, while still including all the deck building strategy. I think Intrigue is deeper overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference is for Intrigue at this point in time. But that is due to the fact that I have played Dominion a ton! I haven't had the chance to play Intrigue as much. For me, they are both great games but I rate Intrigue a little higher due to the heightened player interaction. And if you and your friend decide that you like that interaction, I would suggest picking up Seaside at some point down the road as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zuccarelli
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the base game and recently picked up Seaside. I don't have Intrigue yet, which I was fine with skipping. The cards in Seaside seemed much more interesting.

I doubt you could go wrong either way though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kameron Gibson
United States
Delphi
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Personally prefer Dominion: Intrigue, due to the optional directions that most of the cards have. I enjoy having other ways of playing a card, instead of being pigeon-holed into playing one card a certain way.

I also enjoy the multi-purpose cards (such as Harem) which both work as money and add into the victory count at the end of the game. I can't tell you how many times people I played with overlooked the Duke & duchy combo, until it was too late in the game.

Don't get me wrong though, as Dominion itself is a fantastic way of getting first time players to understand how the game works, plus, mixing new and old players is a little bit easier with the base, as there is a set way the cards play (somewhat ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The savvy gamer will appreciate Intrigue a lot more. There's more interaction and more tactical choice.

The base game is better at introducing the basic concepts of the game, but is much simpler overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.