Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A while back a group of folks that work in my office sat down over lunch and played Mexican Train. The game was really boring to me but I felt like we had fun. A few months have passed and the idea of inviting folks to play again, preferably offering some other game choices, has been tickling my brain. So I sent out an office message today that invited folks to game and got a pretty good response, about 50%. With somewhere around 10 people tomorrow, we're gonna play a game.
The copy of Mexican Train is still there so I'll offer that as an option. I'll take in my copy of Formula D. Someone else is bringing a deck of cards, and we'll just see what happens. I'm expecting to be dissatisfied with their game choice but to be happy in general and to have a bit of fun, pretty much like the last time.

I'm mostly just posting cause it's kinda happy and kinda fun. If anyone has any thoughts, feel free to interject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arf Arf!
msg tools
mbmbmb
I play with some coworkers on Fridays at close of business.

Its great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Saunders
United Kingdom
Blackpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amosmj wrote:
A while back a group of folks that work in my office sat down over lunch and played Mexican Train. The game was really boring to me but I felt like we had fun. A few months have passed and the idea of inviting folks to play again, preferably offering some other game choices, has been tickling my brain. So I sent out an office message today that invited folks to game and got a pretty good response, about 50%. With somewhere around 10 people tomorrow, we're gonna play a game.
The copy of Mexican Train is still there so I'll offer that as an option. I'll take in my copy of Formula D. Someone else is bringing a deck of cards, and we'll just see what happens. I'm expecting to be dissatisfied with their game choice but to be happy in general and to have a bit of fun, pretty much like the last time.

I'm mostly just posting cause it's kinda happy and kinda fun. If anyone has any thoughts, feel free to interject.

Formula D at lunchtime...that's some lunch break

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Bootleggers a game about beer and maybe fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro plays up to 8 in about 20 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did that once and I was mocked and laughed at.

Us geeks need to stick together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Formula D is the game I'd put out there the first time. I'd try something a little lighter.
I looked at your list of "Owned" games. Of those, I'd bring PitchCar if you've got enough room. I know you're probably hoping for more of a boardgame, but a game like that is something that would certainly get everyone's attention.
Then you could ease them into some of these other "new" games later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride: Europe have been a huge success with my coworkers. It's not like they are asking me to come over and play but all who have tried have enjoyed it. Even works with a little alcohol, too much and people can't think straight. I tried Mow in Essen and it's a simple card game that supports up to 10, it's really light. You can also try Wits & Wagers, looks fun but not available in Swedish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Euro games for 3 or 4. I'd bring Ingenious, Blokus, and Pandemic to start. (Explain the 1st 2 and play in the third.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm afraid I don't have wits and Wagers, Ingenious or Blokus.
I did take Kelly's suggestion and brought Pitchcar. The final list of game I actually brought today:
Go Nuts!
Boggle
Formula D
PitchCar

Add to that the cards and the copy of Mexican Train that is still in the break room, I hope we'll have some fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Reporting Back:
Formula D was interesting to a lot of people but not surprisingly it was not played. We got out Go Nuts! as the opener while a couple people where munching on salad. The semi madcap nature of it was a turn off to a couple people. We then got out PitchCar and ran a series of winner stays in style two car races. That was fun for a while. With 30 minutes to go we got out Boggle. I love word games but I feel guilty about playing anyone I know other than my wife. I can usually double the score of most people I know (including the best of my coworkers today) and my wife can usually double my score again. So I had fun and I hope the folks I trounced at this end did as well.
I've been asked to make it a monthly occurrence, the first Friday of each month. I'm thinking about buying a copy of Wits & Wagers between now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amosmj wrote:
I've been asked to make it a monthly occurrence, the first Friday of each month. I'm thinking about buying a copy of Wits & Wagers between now and then.

Great! Wits & Wagers is good, but all the answers are numbers, which doesn't appeal to everyone. May I suggest you consider Say Anything?
It's the same designer, but the questions & answers are specific to the players ("What is my favorite movie?") rather than Jeopardy-like ("How many countries border China?"), which I think provokes more fun in the discussions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Long Shot

Diamant

Both are fun light games with social interaction that support up to 8 players. Incan Gold is also very portable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.