Elements of the Death Angel mythos are expanded on below.
=-= The Population -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1954: Angel Grove - Population 312
A quite little farm community in Utah not far from the Nevada border. Primary crops include corn, barley, alfalfa hay, and rye. No notable attractions.
2009: Angel Grove - Population 0
An abandoned farm community decimated by a disease epidemic in 1955. Those who were not quarantined eventually flocked to the neighboring town Wendover or to Salt Lake City.
=-= The House -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1954: The Ryan Residence
Home to Moriah, Joseph and Angela Ryan. Moriah and Joseph were born in 1908 and 1904, respectively, and were married in 1930. A year later, Angela Ryan was born. Farmers by trade, the Ryans worked through the great depression and saved enough to send Angela to school to become a teacher in 1950. Angel would return four years later to teach from the local one room school house, only a few miles away from her childhood home.
2009: The Abandoned House
Former home to Moriah, Joseph and Angela Ryan. Tradegy fatally struck the Ryan household in 1955. Moriah developed a severe case of catatonic schizophrenia, despite having no previous history of mental illness. Her husband Joseph, was found hanged in the corn field. A suicide note referenced time distortion and ramblings about escaping before being unborn. As for Angela - she simply vanished. With no one to care for Moriah, she passed away from starvation weeks after Joseph’s death.
=-= The Church -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1954: First Church of Angel Grove
Father Morris cared for a successful Roman Catholic church not far from the town’s only general store and school. Known for his jovial spirit and selfless giving, Morris was well loved within the community.
2009: The Old Church
Long sealed and abandoned, some say the old church carries a curse or was somehow desecrated by the devil due to the horrible acts that took place in 1955. In the winter of 1955, Father Morris, long time caretaker of the church, began to trade away his calm and wisdom for fear and paranoia. He was convinced that the spirits of the dead were trying to get into the church, and he refused to leave. As his fears became more intense, his blood became the only sealant that would keep the unholy spirits from breaking inside. He coated the walls, floors, ceiling and doors with words of protection until he eventually died of blood loss and exhaustion.
=-= The General Store -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1954: Doc Greenly’s General Store
Both the town’s doctor and general store owner, no one was better liked than Doc Greenly. A relatively young man of 32, he knew everyone in town, their birthday, their favorite flavor of ice cream, and was always the talk of Martha’s Weekly Knitting Party.
2009: The General Store
Doc Greenly’s General Store closed for business in late 1955, dying a premature death of heart disease. Those who attended his funeral noted how old Doc Greenly looked, and some even doubted that the man in the coffin could be the same person. The general store was taken over by another resident in town who later closed the store permanently after quarantine was declared in 1956.
=-= The Graveyard -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1954: A serene home to many generations of Angel Grove residents, maintained by Father Morris.
2009: Overgrown and undisturbed for decades, nature has largely reclaimed this plot of earth, barely revealing any of the weather worn tombstones.
=-= Chester William’s Cabin -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1954: Not much is known about the recluse Chester Williams. He only visits Doc Greenly’s general store once a month, and only at times when others are unlikely to be there. Doc Greenly observes that he is a quiet man, though cordial enough. The children in town have been told to steer clear of his cabin.
2009: Chester Williams was taken to Fort Douglas for quarantine in 1956 and was pronounced dead months later. His property was put up for sale and was purchased by an unknown buyer.
=-= The Schoolhouse -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1954: This one room schoolhouse is run by Angela Ryan, an intelligent young woman her mother’s sly wit and her father’s cool demeanor. Though it is her first year teaching, she is masterful at conveying the information she wants to get across.
2009: Long abandoned, the schoolhouse is now home to a variety of nature’s children. The whereabouts of Angela Ryan, or ‘Angel’ as her father liked to call her, are unknown.