Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Zuccarelli
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bunch of people coming over and I really want to try out Incan Gold finally... but I wonder if the game is fun with so many people. Specifically I worry about all the treasure cards that are worth less than 8 and therefore have all their treasure left on the cards. Wouldn't you gain more treasure like by just cutting out early instead of sticking around?

It seems with 3-5 people just about every card would be able to be at least partially divided amongst the players, but in the 8 player games you could have a huge treasure pile that you'd just want to cut back to camp ASAP and just grab that treasure instead of exploring and dividing treasure. Am I right?

Is there a house rule of adding a few digits to the treasure cards to help them get divided? (for instance adding 3 to the treasure cards drawn)

I want to break this game out but only if I know people will have fun with it.

Thanks in advance!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It works fine. There is no massive buildup, because a bunch of people all cut and run at the same time, and end up sharing the pot. And of course, only a few small ones come out early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I hae not tried it yet, I imagine the game has got to be pretty good with 8. Half the fun/challenge is figuring out when to leave that you won't be gummed up by other people. This makes that even better. Don't think of them as non-divisible treasure. Think of them as extra idols. Except these can be divided. I think that would add a little depth balancing the treasure behind vs, the unknown ahead. PLUS the fact that you know sooner or later somebody is gonna go for it, and do you want them to be able to get all that treasure by themselves? Yet if you pull out to soon what seem slike alot could be chicken feed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be fine. A lot of the fun is deciding when to leave. Inevitably, people will decide to leave at the same time and get little--very funny. Once we got an artifact out. No one left because everyone thought someone else would leave, too. Then we got a second out--same thing. Then people started thinking, "Well, if no one is going to leave, I'll leave!" Three left, no one got the artifacts, and the three-way split was small and left a lot of one- and two-stone spots.

The game is actually very carefully balanced to leave stones behind when multiple players leave. I wouldn't mess with it.

But also, this is a light game with a lot of luck and even more uncertainty about what the other players will do. The best player isn't going to win every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Three left, no one got the artifacts, and the three-way split was small and left a lot of one- and two-stone spots.

If I misinterpreted this statement, ignore this, but you make it seem as if you split the treasure on a card by card basis. This is not true. All the treasure is considered one pile and split among everyone leaving on that turn.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4055845#4055845
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We frequently play with seven and have played a number of games with eight. It works beautifully for any number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
Three left, no one got the artifacts, and the three-way split was small and left a lot of one- and two-stone spots.

If I misinterpreted this statement, ignore this, but you make it seem as if you split the treasure on a card by card basis. This is not true. All the treasure is considered one pile and split among everyone leaving on that turn.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4055845#4055845

Thank you. I was unaware of this. The rules are a little poorly worded in translation, or perhaps people just follow the logic of considering cards individually.

I've seen Diamant played the same way, which is odd because its rules are crystal clear. Maybe Diamant version one??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty natural that when facing 4 or 5 individual piles and told to share them and put back any left overs, that folks would do so tile by tile.

The key is noticing that the rules tell you to put the leftovers back on any *one* tile, it doesn't matter which. Which by definition means there's only one pile of leftovers, and by inference then means they all had to be pooled together beforehand.

No surprise tons of folks miss this, and something they really should have spelled out step by step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zuccarelli
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we played the game tonight with 8 people, and while I do think the game plays out much differently than if we had 5 or so, it was still a ton of fun.

The non gamers of the group were definitely more put off with it than Wits and Wagers (good thing I didnt get out BSG!) after a round people got into it a bit. I definitely bugged out of that cave quicker than I normally would've!

Really fun game and I look forward to playing it again soon, thanks for the words of reinforcement on playing with so many, I think I might've skipped it otherwise. If I had ANY geekgold I'd tip you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We play a modification that requires at least 8 people - we could easily do 12, perhaps more. It's centered on the "Alone You Die!" concept and requires a change in how Artifacts work. Here's the link:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5266721
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.