Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that components are limiting. There are only five wooden walls in the game. The game uses the same pieces for wooden walls as the stone walls.

Q: When a stone wall is eliminated, does it go back to supply or is it removed from the game? If it goes back to supply, does it increase the number of wooden walls that can be built or are they limited to five at any one time?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pieces for wooden walls (brown cubes) aren't the same as those for stone walls (grey 'roads'). As for the other part of your question, we've been wondering the same...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gael
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Q: When a stone wall is eliminated, does it go back to supply or is it removed from the game? If it goes back to supply, does it increase the number of wooden walls that can be built or are they limited to five at any one time?

Answer with an other question here
Q: When and where can I put stone wall piece?
A: You can put it on any wall section (even when there are 2 wall pieces already!). You must put it on board after
Invader's Phase 1. You have only 5 such a pieces in the game. If you have no more stone wall pieces, you can not build
it. If Invader destroys wall piece and you have it, you can use it to build. Example – after turn 5 Defender has no wall
pieces left. In turn 6 he does not build wall. But during 6th turn catapult destroys one wall piece. In turn 7th, after
Invaders Phase 1 the Defender can build one wall piece
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Bronkowski
Poland
Krakow
Malopolska
flag msg tools
mb
Note that resources (16) wooden wall components (5) and gate strength marker (1) are the same brown cubes, but each is limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That's what I was hoping. I have pimped my game with brown resource discs now and made 5 wooden wall pieces to use instead of the cubes. I wish they had more variety in the cube selection so everything didn't look the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henderson
United Kingdom
Newport
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed about the lack of variety in cubes - both shape and colour. To be honest I expected a little better for this "epic" game and also considering the realatively high price.
The "wooden wall" cubes are a little large to stack on top of the stone wall pieces as the rules suggest, so I too shall be making use of some other more appropriate peices for this.
Walt, it would be good to see some pics up of your "pimped" pieces when you have the time. I'm also considering alternatives for some of the other cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone finds a perfect wooden wall piece replacement, they should certainly post it here! I don't like the big cubes for wooden walls either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I don't have a copy (yet... Hopefully Santa is listening ) I can only guess at the dimensions. I was guessing 0.25 inches (appx. 6 mm) by 0.625 inches (appx. 16mm).

You can buy 2-3 foot square dowel rods at Home Depot/Lowes/Menard's or other DIY store for less than US$1 each and make them yourself ( I've made some similar for other projects ).

It helps to have the X-Acto miter box and razor saw [X-Acto® Craft Miter Box (X75320) ], or equivalent. A little fine or ultra fine sandpaper (600+ grit suggested for satin smooth finish, 220+ minimum recommended) and some paint and varnish and you can make your 5 pieces easily.... well, it will take some time, but they will look like the other pieces and stack better.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Salinas
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Man Vs Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me get this straight. You have 5 stone walls left over (after setting up the game). So, after turn #5, you can no longer build stone walls? Ie. once a stone is taken off the board, it gets removed from game instead of being put back in the stone reserve?

Just a little confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Bronkowski
Poland
Krakow
Malopolska
flag msg tools
mb
Every destroyed wall component goes back to the pool and you can reuse it later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule is kind of twonky. If I want to more a guy from wall to wall I have to spend an hourglass, but I can build wall sections at not cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiktor Pucek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
walls can be build by regular men, not soldiers They build wall for whole 6 phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Martinson
United States
Mabank
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that it cost two hourglasses to replace or reinforce a wall section, and this action could be taken once per turn. Why would it be free to rebuild a stone wall, but cost two to add wooden reinforcement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquireboy wrote:
I thought that it cost two hourglasses to replace or reinforce a wall section, and this action could be taken once per turn. Why would it be free to rebuild a stone wall, but cost two to add wooden reinforcement?

It's a game mechanism to favour the Defender. Vin_88 has given you a reason. This game is not a simulation, it's a fantasy siege.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garl wrote:
Quote:
Q: When a stone wall is eliminated, does it go back to supply or is it removed from the game?

[snip]

You have only 5 such a pieces in the game. If you have no more stone wall pieces, you can not build it. If Invader destroys wall piece and you have it, you can use it to build. Example - after turn 5 Defender has no wall
pieces left. In turn 6 he does not build wall. But during 6th turn catapult destroys one wall piece. In turn 7th, after
Invaders Phase 1 the Defender can build one wall piece

Is this official? It seems very counter-intuitive and very much in favour of the Defender that he can rebuild a stone wall component pretty much immediately after it's been destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Paull wrote:

Is this official? It seems very counter-intuitive and very much in favour of the Defender that he can rebuild a stone wall component pretty much immediately after it's been destroyed.

Counter-intuitive? Would it help if you considered the walls to be made of rubble rather than stone?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, It somewhat favors the defender. If the invaders destroy more than one wall section in a turn, then it would favor the invaders, especially if they are concentrating on a couple different wall sections. I just think it should have been made clear how the free wall sections work in the rules, especially when everything else has a cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Alan Paull wrote:

Counter-intuitive? Would it help if you considered the walls to be made of rubble rather than stone?

B>

I know I shouldn't be arguing from a realism point of view devil. In most sieges the defenders wouldn't be able to rebuild their stone walls during the siege, let alone very soon after they've been knocked over. Rubble helps to some extent shake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting the local peasantry to work piling up rubble to help stop the attack seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do (although it suggests the seige time scale is meaningful protracted rather than in movie-time. You wouldn't have the soldiers busy defending things doing it, so that's why it's "free"

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.