Jeff Clark
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after having gone to my first ever Spiel at Essen a few weeks ago, I was very very keen to play Dungeon Lords.

As I got to the Convention on Saturday, I was already aware of the buzz about the game from the BGG website, and had actually printed off and read the rules on the flight to Dusseldorf - and agreed that the rules were really funny, and well written. So when I got to Essen, I bought the game without trying it out, trusting in the "wisdom of crowds" of the BGG userbase.

So - it spent a week in a suitcase while I travelled around Germany, and I've been itching to get my board games friends round to my flat to give it a whirl which finally happened yesterday... and we found the game to be a blast...

The first time we played it, we went through the training scenarios very carefully, taking quite a long time to explain the rules carefully as we went. It's a very good idea to do this as it helps you understand what you're actually looking out for later in the game, so you (hopefully) avoid fatal mistakes later on in the game by making silly moves early on in the game.

I also like the fact that the rules recommended that after you've done the training dungeons and explained the first phase, you just get on and play because really, you don't really need to know that much about how the later phases work until you actually get to them. It's just as well - because the rules explanations took us about an hour before we actually got playing. (In fact, the first game took about 4 hours in total, but the second time we played we got it down to less than 90 minutes!)

In the first game, we also made some "newbie" mistakes - this time forgetting that you have to pay the monsters cost not only on payday, but also when you first hire them. This meant we had more monsters in our first game than our second, and our reputations weren't particularly evil in that game. In fact, I spend most of the first game all the way on the bottom of the "evilometer", and consequently didn't have much of a problem with Adventurers. In the second game, once we were playing with the correct rules, several of us were much closer to attracting the attention of the Paladin, but it must be said that it doesn't seem TOO hard to avoid the Paladin, and I'd be curious if anyone found triggering the Paladin unavoidable in their games...

In our second game, we got a bit cocky, and started to figure that as long as we dug tons of tunnels, it didn't particularly matter if the Adventurers conquered 4 of them - you could more than make up for things by keeping your rooms and monsters just out of reach, and then could make up some good points by doing that. But then came an unanticipated spell which allowed the Adventurers to conquer TWO tiles instead of just one. And guess who had the wizards in his queue, just itching to cast that spell?

As luck would have it, I happened to have the room which lets you build traps, and I had been using it fairly heavily. I also had placed near the entrance the room which lets you double-up on traps - a perfect battleground to take on the adventurers. And as further luck would have it, the traps I'd built were ones that prevented the wizards from using their spell to do the double-conquering, because the trap cancelled the "conquering" phase... All I needed was one more good trap to take out the lead adventurer - a particularly strong warrior (7 HP's!) Hooray, I thought - POISONED MEAL! That was fantastic I thought - I'll take him out, and then use a few ghosts to finish off the relatively weaker guys in trail.

But then - yes, another very embarassing newbie mistake. I had glanced at the room tile which said you didn't have to pay one gold for the trap, as you normally would have had to do in a room. I started to think - great, I won't need to pay for the trap. But when the combat actually started, I realised, with no small amound of horror, that the poisoned meal actually required, well, a -meal-. I had no food! Ergo - no trap - ergo, a rampaging warrior who took out the room, and several tiles aftewards.

In the end, I didn't do that badly - coming in second - but the lesson for me (and possibly for you) - pay careful attention to those cards the first time you play this game, or your friends will be teasing the heck out of you like mine will be for many weeks to come...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McKenzie
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also had a great time playing for our first time yesterday. My newbie mistake was mistaking the wizard at the back of the line for a thief and thinking I will save my wonderful traps untill after the demon flys over and eats him up..... Unfortunatly I realized that the Wizard got to cast a nice spell of metamorphisis and now my Demon was a fluffy little sheep (And yes I had peeked at that spell earlier so I new it was coming) Fortunatly I was able to keep the adventurers busy with traps so they could not conquer much but I lost the game by 1 point to TIm

What was even worse than losing by 1 point to Tim was suffering through the baaaaahd sheep puns gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were definitely a mutton for punishment yesterday.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops! Leaving yourself without food to poison

I have a terrible time remembering to budget for the costs of traps. Last game, I was all ready to stop the adventurers in one round, and my plan included a cursed ring. At the last moment I realized I had no gold to pay for it, so I hastily replanned my assault on the heroes.

I set up my new attack, and start off with "First, I hi the heroes with a boulder trap..." and Lisa says tells me I need to pay a gold. "What?" I scan the text - it doesn't require a gold.

"Yes, but you're in a room. You need to pay a gold to use a trap in a room".

And my whole plan goes up in flames!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
bkmckenzie wrote:
We also had a great time playing for our first time yesterday. My newbie mistake was mistaking the wizard at the back of the line for a thief and thinking I will save my wonderful traps untill after the demon flys over and eats him up..... Unfortunatly I realized that the Wizard got to cast a nice spell of metamorphisis and now my Demon was a fluffy little sheep (And yes I had peeked at that spell earlier so I new it was coming) Fortunatly I was able to keep the adventurers busy with traps so they could not conquer much but I lost the game by 1 point to TIm

What was even worse than losing by 1 point to Tim was suffering through the baaaaahd sheep puns gulp

DANG! Now I have wood for your demon sheep... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting the report, Jeff! Have had this pre-ordered for awhile and am really looking forward to our first session!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.