11 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: hand grenades in melee? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Entner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that hand grenades are close in weapons, I was wondering why they are not also applicable to melee combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe because they aren't a melee weapon? Very good when you're one hex away, not so good when you are in the same hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same reason they aren't in original SL--they are factored into close combat making it so deadly. I remember reading that in the Designer's Notes for SL.

Hand Grenades ARE in CC:E as an action when firing from an adjacent hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
FWIW - CCacific has a close-in weapon that is applicable to melee combat: Bayonets. (Played as an action much as grenades are an action in CC:E)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there a scenario that lets you use grenades in melee? Maybe it's double the FP of grenades in general. Something about grenades...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Yep...Scenario 43 - Hand Grenades may be used (prior to the roll) to add +2 to the roll. (ie - just like Bayonets in CC)

Another Hand Grenade SSR:
Scenario 36 - If Hand Grenades are used by the Russian and the Fire Attack Roll is doubles, the Russian may player may immediately suppress one adjacent enemy unit (if already suppressed, break it instead).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Yep...Scenario 43 - Hand Grenades may be used (prior to the roll) to add +2 to the roll. (ie - just like Bayonets in CC)

Another Hand Grenade SSR:
Scenario 36 - If Hand Grenades are used by the Russian and the Fire Attack Roll is doubles, the Russian may player may immediately suppress one adjacent enemy unit (if already suppressed, break it instead).

Well, I figured that someone with a stronger work ethic than me would look it up! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Malacandra wrote:
would look it up! laugh

What? You don't have every rule, every scenario, every SSR memorized?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After I made the list, there's nothing left in my head. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm close enough to someone to engage them in brutal hand-to-hand fighting I'm not going to use a live grenade as my weapon of choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Entner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts. I have BP2 but not Pacific, I'll have to take a look at scenario 43. For those who think it too close for grenades, keep in mind that being in the same hex means you are within 30 yards (or less) of the enemy, and from what I've read grenades were still used at ranges of 15-20 yards, especially by dug-in defenders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.