Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I received Le Havre several days ago and have been itching to get it to the table, I was reading the rules and punching it out and my wife walked by the game room looked in and shook her head at me ... everyone with a s/o knows the look and head shake.

Even though there are a million and one pieces to Le Havre the pieces, cards, rules and illustrations are well laid out and make it easy to setup.

There is a solitaire version that I played along with while reading the rules, it was a great way to learn the game. I can tell from the little play that I will really enjoy this game. All those bit come with tons of resources to obtain and manage, buildings (the same as roles in some games) to build, food to collect and people to feed.

So two days later I was told we could play a game when she finished some shopping she wanted to do.

Now I know the games she likes to play; Kingsburg, Stone Age, Puerto Rico ... she will even play Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization with me. But we still have not passed the look and head shake phase when I get excited about getting a new game.

So I got Le Havre out and set it up and waited ... and waited.... (this is a girl who went shopping) and waited.

She saw the game on the table and gave me the "really" look. I swore she would like it and if not we could put it away and get out any other she wanted, so off we went.

In Le Havre you play a set number of rounds depending on the number players, there are two lengths for each game the full or short version, in each round there are 7 turns and you alternate them around the table, so is a two player game you would get 4 turns in one round and three in the next, etc.

The first part of your turn is a supply action, you place resouces out in offer spaces. For your second or main action you can take all of any one resource in an offer space, or move to a building and take its special action.

Buildings allow you to upgrade materials (turn iron into steel, clay into bricks), get materials of your choice or build buildings of your own.

Buildings are an investment and a way to collect money or food. If you move into a building you own you take its action for free, if someone moves into a building you own they have to pay you to use it.

Finally at any time during your turn you can purchase or sell buildings or repay a loan if you needed to take one.

At the end of a round you collect resources if there was a harvest, feed people, and perhaps the town may build a building.

And so it goes as you take your turns getting resoruces, upgrading them and spending them to purchase buildings and ships, upgrading resources for use or to sell on shipping lines.

At the end of the final round you count up your money and the value of your buildings and ships and the richest merchant wins.

I won the first game 231 to 175, there was really no contest here, I had played the solitaire version once and she had not played but she remarked "I like this game lets try again". Who am I to say no?

I won the second 241 to 210. You can she improved quite a bit, I only won on a late building of a luxury liner and a church. The building shuffle was horrible on this one, the wharf was second to last in one of the buiding stacks. I started out just trying to get to it so we could build it, before I knew it was out of money and needing loans to pay for my food, later I needed food but could never get the francs to let me render my cattle in her building. I had to sell a building to make it happen, in hindsight I should have done it sooner, but I just didn't want to. I collected a lot of other resources while fumbling around and was able to build some high cost buidings and get my loans paid, but it was a struggle. If I thought I could duplicate it, it may be a good strategy, but again the card shuffle and random special buildings make each game different. After the game I started to put it away and she said "this seems like a lot to get out and set up, you sure you don't want to leave it out for tomorrow?"

Le Havre Sneak Attack - Successful

There is plenty of planning and strategy involved, even lingering in a building if you can afford it, blocking its use by another player. So to an extent it can get aggressive if you wanted. A deck of special and randomized standard buildings depending on number of players and a shuffled deck creates a different play every time.

Look if you like any of the games mentioned above or any resource management game you will like Le Havre, it really is that simple.

The proof is sitting out on my game room table, ready for tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Does she have a sister?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbed you, but this is not a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Boofus wrote:

This should totally be in 'sessions' and not reviews. I liked reading the story though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wow...2 games in a row. considering the length of the game, your wife must be a real gamer. even mine wouldn't have agreed to play consecutive games of le havre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
Boofus wrote:

This should totally be in 'sessions' and not reviews. I liked reading the story though...

It isn't even a session report, this should be in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Strohm
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your review without qualification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
How you view the world says nothing about the world, and everything about you.
badge
I had a fox instead of a teddy.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are a lucky man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boofus wrote:

Fixed it for you......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
Boofus wrote:

Fixed it for you too !!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maaikefest wrote:
bippi wrote:
Boofus wrote:

It isn't even a session report, this should be in general.

and for you too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jocose, welcome to my buddylist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mopeymatt wrote:
You are a lucky man.

thank you, i believe i am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr_strangelove wrote:
I like your review without qualification.

Thanks, it was a first review attempt and wanted to try it a little differently. You can find the rules to most games online and read them any time you want, I wanted to craft a review that would tell someone if they would like the game and why they would.

Then I went back and typed in the dry stuff anyway....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.