Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The rules say that if a broken unit appears in a melee hex, it is immediately eliminated. But what happens if all units (of both sides) in a melee hex break simultaneously? I would assume they are all eliminated...

otoh I can already hear the rules lawyers in this situation:
both a single russian and a single german squad in close combat, both have to make a MC. The russian player fails the morale check, and now there is a broken unit in a melee hex, so it (and thus the entire russian presence in the melee hex) is eliminated. The hex is no longer a melee hex, thus even if the german squad would be broken, it would not be eliminated.

Or is this simultaneously after all and would both be eliminated?

2) When does a hex stop being a melee hex? At the very moment one of both sides is eliminated?

I'm asking because the other day I had a very interesting situation:
A few squads of german infantry move adjacent to a building in which two squads are locked in melee (with the intent to advance into that hex during the forthcoming advance phase). A third group of russian infantry fires (during defensive fire phase) on the melee hex, killing the german squad locked in melee. Has the (now freed from melee) russian squad got the opportunity for defensive on the german squads which moved adjacent to his hex?
Or is "locked in melee" status only checked during the Close Combat phase of a turn, even if the opposition is removed in another fashion than CC?

Oh, and a third question:
When do you check victory conditions such as "control X buildings" ... it that *at the end* of a scenario (for example, after the five turns allotted for scenario 1 - The Guards Counterattack) or do you -as russian player- win at the exact moment of controlling these buildings / the end of a player (or even game) turn while you also control the required buildings... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tweakston
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
My interpretation:

1) Both would be eliminated. Morale checks for the two opponents are simultaneous. Otherwise players would insist the other go first thereby stalling the game flow. Leaders are still checked first.

2) A unit freed from melee may defensive fire. Defensive fires, like prep fires, are not predesignated at the beginning of the phase. Since two opposing units in one hex define the melee hex, it ceases to be if one side is eliminated.

3) The end of scenario occurs after the player moving second completes his close combat phase on the last turn. Check for Victory Conditions then and only then.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Townsend

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:

Oh, and a third question:
When do you check victory conditions such as "control X buildings" ... it that *at the end* of a scenario (for example, after the five turns allotted for scenario 1 - The Guards Counterattack) or do you -as russian player- win at the exact moment of controlling these buildings / the end of a player (or even game) turn while you also control the required buildings... ?

"3) The end of scenario occurs after the player moving second completes his close combat phase on the last turn. Check for Victory Conditions then and only then."

To add to Ronald's excellent answer:
The rationale being that if you take control over X buildings there is nothing to say that before the last turn (or even during the last turn perhaps) the units in control over one or more of those buildings might not be eliminated or forced to rout away.

*or possibly just broken (I don't have the rules in front of me: but I think, in general, broken units cannot hold terrain for victory purposes, don't quote me on this)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.