Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Sullivan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When Elves are in decline they die when you conquer them, yes? They don't get redeployed at the end of that player's turn? And if they do, can Elves then attack like Ghouls next turn?

If they do die in decline (when I assume they do), then the only way to kill Elves are when they are in decline or using the Sorcerer's ability when they are active, correct? I played Elves vs Sorcerer on the weekend and I noticed that it was the only way to kill my elves was using his ability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Yes in decline they loose their abilities like most races appart from trolls, dwarves and zombies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Mercado
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that Elves tokens go back to the tray when transformed by sorcerers.

When they are in decline it would not matter, because the only race that can conquer/redeploy during decline is the Ghouls. So you would have Elves in you hand, but you would not be able to do anything with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Barcelo
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmercado wrote:
I'm not sure that Elves tokens go back to the tray when transformed by sorcerers.

They do, if it's not in the rulebook I think it's in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Even in decline, the Elves never die. They just board little white ships and sail across the sea to settle in the token tray. (Occassionally, they take a halfing and wizard token with them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Grigg
msg tools
I had a problem with elves in my match that the only thing which could remove them from play was using sorcerers. My uncle started with elves and never needed to go into decline and won easily, the only thing which stunted him was half way through the game when i got sorcerers and changed one per turn.

Something I need to ask is redployement...it says in the rules you can take off tokens already on the board at the beginning of your turn and start again from the side of the board. As eleves never lose people he did this every turn and started again from the side of the board killing people slowing them down and never slowed down himself...

I think there needs to be specific ways to kill them or some sort of elves can only remain in play as long as they have one person left alive on the board (and unlike other races all die when last place wiped out) because they can just redeploy at the beginning of every turn.

last two games iv played elf user won... they are awesome yes, maybe too much so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pain645 wrote:
I had a problem with elves in my match that the only thing which could remove them from play was using sorcerers. My uncle started with elves and never needed to go into decline and won easily, the only thing which stunted him was half way through the game when i got sorcerers and changed one per turn.

The downside to this is that, if he played the elves through the entire game, he was only ever scoring one race. Having elves as a *second* race in the game, taken, oh, about 1/3 of the way through the game, is extremely strong, because you can set the elves up to defend your declining race.

Pain645 wrote:
Something I need to ask is redployement...it says in the rules you can take off tokens already on the board at the beginning of your turn and start again from the side of the board. As eleves never lose people he did this every turn and started again from the side of the board killing people slowing them down and never slowed down himself...

If the elves do not have a special power that is tied to conquest (such as Pillaging, Commando, Berserk, etc.), coming in anew every turn should theoretically hurt the elves at about the same level as whoever they're attacking. (That being said, next time I play, if Pillaging Elves comes up, I'm snapping them up, because holy crap!) And the fact that their racial ability is not useful for garnering points means that other races should be able to at least approximate the score difference by their own territories and/or abilities.

Elves are a strong race, no question about it. But honestly, I haven't seen them far outstrip anything else on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morency
Canada
flag msg tools
did the same happen to you guys? my friends asked me to remove completely the elves from the game or else they wont want to play anymore... i don't really like removing something from a game but the elves are just too strong compared to the rest... 10 pts per turn every turns is just too nice and add to that the fact they can be pillaging is just too broken... so should i do as they say or do you have solution to get them more normal like all the other races?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Elsaitu wrote:
did the same happen to you guys? my friends asked me to remove completely the elves from the game or else they wont want to play anymore... i don't really like removing something from a game but the elves are just too strong compared to the rest... 10 pts per turn every turns is just too nice and add to that the fact they can be pillaging is just too broken... so should i do as they say or do you have solution to get them more normal like all the other races?

Just beat them back! If everyone takes a couple regions from the elves and forces them to have to spend 3, 4, or 5 tokens to retake them, they're not scoring 10pts a turn. Nowhere near. Plus if you can take out their declined race, you can really force them into a corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morency
Canada
flag msg tools
but still, they will just abandon all of their regions at the beginning of their next turn and then take another 10 regions... so they will still get their 10 pts per turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Elsaitu wrote:
but still, they will just abandon all of their regions at the beginning of their next turn and then take another 10 regions... so they will still get their 10 pts per turn

How do you figure? If they have 10 tokens, at best they get five regions, if people have left empty regions adjacent to each other, which seems highly unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morency
Canada
flag msg tools
maybe we play it wrong cause right now in the first 2 games we played, we just abandn all our land and strat conquering again killing all our opponents so we never get any leftovers from our old races. we never left more then 1 token in our regions so they are easy to grab back. even easier for elves cause they always have full forces every turns...

it's just we always move our whole army to conquer every piece of lands. that way we can beat almost everything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elsaitu wrote:
maybe we play it wrong cause right now in the first 2 games we played, we just abandn all our land and strat conquering again killing all our opponents so we never get any leftovers from our old races. we never left more then 1 token in our regions so they are easy to grab back. even easier for elves cause they always have full forces every turns...

it's just we always move our whole army to conquer every piece of lands. that way we can beat almost everything

Remember, it takes 2 tokens to take a region plus 1 for every obsticle in there. So if you are attacking a friends region, where he has 1 guy, it takes 3 tokens to conquer it. That would be 3 regions a turn, and 3 points / round does not win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morency
Canada
flag msg tools
can't u send your (for example) 11 elves to conquer a region then use the 10 tokens left to grab another one, etc. ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Elsaitu wrote:

It sounds like you are playing Small World the way you would play Risk: move your entire force into a region, conquer it, then move your entire force bar a single unit left to hold the region to the next region. That's not how Small World works.

In Small World, when you conquer a region, you move in exactly what is required to take it: 2 plus the number of pieces of cardboard already there (modified by any relevant abilities, such as Commando or Tritons). Everything else stays in your hand. Once you've put the invading force down, they stay there. No token can be used in the conquest of two different regions in the same turn.

Only once you have finished all your conquests are you permitted to redistribute your tokens amongst the regions you now hold (for defensive purposes).

If you play this way, it will normally cost you at least three tokens to conquer a region held by an opponent. Even empty regions will cost you two tokens to conquer. Barring the effects of special abilities, it will always net you more points to hold the regions you already own than to pick up all your tokens and reconquer the same regions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morency
Canada
flag msg tools
oh ok thanks a lot for that piece of info ^^ it will help equalize the games and keep the elves as they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elsaitu wrote:
can't u send your (for example) 11 elves to conquer a region then use the 10 tokens left to grab another one, etc. ?

No.

At the start of your turn, you gather up your tokens, and from that point you can't do it again until the end of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morency
Canada
flag msg tools
now i see we played it wrong and i'm really glad you guys helped me clarify thing up ^^ now we won't grab the whole map every turns ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.