13 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you still place clue tokens on Sealed Gate locatons? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
Clue tokens are so hard to come by.. as you need near the gate limit open at all times to stop the doom track rising so quickly... we have been setting 2 investigators on monster clean up and the rest on gate clean up..

Anyway... when you seal a gate.. and a Mythos Card says a clue appears... we have been placing a clue on that area (that also has a elder sign on it to show a sealed gate)... Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Wright
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way I've been playing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Yes, that's correct. There are clues at sealed locations.
The tricky and sometimes overlooked part is, that you don't place a clue token, when a gate is open at a location. But from your question I assume, that you already play it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lam
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are you playing just the base game or with expansions?

Well, either way you should try to figure out the different frequencies of each gate. If you seal a high frequency gate in the base game, it should help you out [Slow down the doom track]. If you are playing with innsmouth, then the DOR track might change that strategy.

Also, items like Old Journal and King in Yellow, some allies and personal stories can help you on clues.

Cleaning up monsters isn't a priority, unless you are going for a high score (Or have KiY herald/Glaaki). I think often times people get caught up in killing monsters just to be on the safe side, neglect the gates, and the AO wakes up due to the gate limit.

Purposely allowing gates to open longer than needed is inviting the AO to come out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
mzonic wrote:
Are you playing just the base game or with expansions?

Currently i own Illsmouth and BGotWs... but I have only been playing Core + BGotWs at the moment.

mzonic wrote:
Well, either way you should try to figure out the different frequencies of each gate. If you seal a high frequency gate in the base game, it should help you out [Slow down the doom track].

Well, if you close every gate you see you are basically guaranteeing that a doom token gets added in every Mythos Phase. It seams to me the only way to really impede the Mythos cards from adding a doom token (you add a doom token every time a gate opens) is to seal the gate or to take a monster spawn on the chin.

mzonic wrote:
Cleaning up monsters isn't a priority

So as you are getting tons of Monster Surges due to using gates to stop doom token you need to basically assign 1 or 2 investigators to just kill monsters, to stop the terror track form filling up. I also have the "slayers" buy items with they trade to the other players.

mzonic wrote:
Also, items like Old Journal and King in Yellow, some allies and personal stories can help you on clues.

I havn't seen those items yet.

mzonic wrote:
Purposely allowing gates to open longer than needed is inviting the AO to come out...

I am interested in what you are saying but as I see it.. it is the exact opposite... open gates = less doom tokens = slower AO awakening??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lam
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
booored wrote:

Currently i own Illsmouth and BGotWs... but I have only been playing Core + BGotWs at the moment.

Well, if you close every gate you see you are basically guaranteeing that a doom token gets added in every Mythos Phase. It seams to me the only way to really impede the Mythos cards from adding a doom token (you add a doom token every time a gate opens) is to seal the gate or to take a monster spawn on the chin.

So as you are getting tons of Monster Surges due to using gates to stop doom token you need to basically assign 1 or 2 investigators to just kill monsters, to stop the terror track form filling up. I also have the "slayers" buy items with they trade to the other players.

I havn't seen those items yet.

I am interested in what you are saying but as I see it.. it is the exact opposite... open gates = less doom tokens = slower AO awakening??

Okay. Are you playing with the BGoTW herald? I would assume not because you seem to favor monster surges. I'm not advising you to close every gate you see, nor am I advising you to "close" gates, though you need to sometimes. I am saying you should seal them. I apologize if you know this already:

When a mythos card shows a gate at a seal location, normally no gate appears and no monster appears (with exception of gate bursts). So when a Mythos pops a gate that you've sealed, you basically get a free turn. Now that changes a bit with the DOR track (Innsmouth board), but you can spend some clues to deal with it.

What I like to do (and I hope this is somewhat correct), is to seal the high frequency locations and close low frequency locations IF needed (say near gate limit). This allows more chances for the seals blocking the gates = free turns.

Now if you are playing with just the base board with no herald, I can see that allowing gates to stay longer can seem beneficial. After all, theres only 11 gates total and it's harder to reach gate limit if you are doing some sealing/closing every now and then.

I play with both DH and IH and that adds a total of 9 more gate locations. If I don't start gunning for those gates I'll hit the gate limit 7/4 investigators around 8-9 on the doom track.

So if allowing more open gates works for you now and you are winning those games, you can stay the course. But I don't think it'll work when you add an extra board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
mzonic wrote:
Okay. Are you playing with the BGoTW herald? I would assume not because you seem to favor monster surges.

I play with random heralds... as I only have 3 to chose from use a die and have a herald assigned to each odd.. and no herald assigned to each even.

So the BGotW effect is not always in play.. not even 1/2 teh time we play... So far the gate strat I spoke of seams to be working pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lam
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
booored wrote:
mzonic wrote:
Okay. Are you playing with the BGoTW herald? I would assume not because you seem to favor monster surges.

I play with random heralds... as I only have 3 to chose from use a die and have a herald assigned to each odd.. and no herald assigned to each even.

So the BGotW effect is not always in play.. not even 1/2 teh time we play... So far the gate strat I spoke of seams to be working pretty well.

I see. Well in terms of clues, I can see that it would be really scarce if you allow a lot of open gates. King in Yellow is found in the Curiosity Shoppe and Old journal can be found in the General Store. If you happen to stumble upon them they will help you on clues.

Otherwise, I think sealing/closing gates is the solution for the scarcity of clues. But if you have enough time to wait it out (because of all the surges), you probably have time to dig for elder signs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
Well.. how do you do it... I mean if you constantly close gates you basically have 13 turns and then game over... or how ever many doom tokens the AO can hold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
booored wrote:
mzonic wrote:

Remember, the AO will also awaken if a certain number of gates (dependent on the number of players) are open at any one time. I don't have the chart handy, but it's something along the lines of 5-7 gates open will automatically awaken the AO. (And the AO's Doom Track automatically fills when it awakens, so you can't even get away with saying "We'll just let 5 gates open and then the AO will be a cinch to beat." No groggy, "5-more-minutes-mom" AOs around here, bucko. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lam
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
booored wrote:
Well.. how do you do it... I mean if you constantly close gates you basically have 13 turns and then game over... or how ever many doom tokens the AO can hold?

I think there's a miscommunication somewhere here.

You don't constantly CLOSE gates. You try to SEAL them.

Closing = don't use clues/elder signs and shut the gate. Gate can reopen in location.

Sealing = use 5 clues/elder sign and shut the gate AND location. Gates can NO LONGER OPEN there unless there's a gate burst.

Say if you seal a gate at the Witch House. You draw a normal Witch House Mythos card later. You DO NOT put a gate there because there's a seal. The only time where you do put a gate is if you drew a red-boxed Witch House, which is a gate burst, then you start cursing and throwing things around...

So with exceptions like DOR/gate bursts, whenever you draw a mythos card with a gate that you already sealed, you do not add a doom token. Monsters move as usual but the important/good thing is that no new gate opens and no monster appears via gate and no monster surge. That in a way is like a free turn because no real bad thing (like a normal Mythos with a new gate) happened.

I assume you know that hitting the gate limit will trigger the final battle since you have the concept of gate limit. AO will wake up with 7 gates in 4-investigator game, less if there are more investigators. I don't know how near the gate limit you are playing at, but I never want to be near the gate limit because you can't count on the time you spend in Other Worlds.

(I don't mean to sound condescending if you already know this stuff; just trying to find out where the miscommunication is)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
mzonic wrote:
I think there's a miscommunication somewhere here.

You don't constantly CLOSE gates. You try to SEAL them.

OK... now your making sense. Yea that is sort of how I am playing at the moment. I leave the gates open, so we get surges instead of doom tokens but we try to seal the mas soon as we have 5 tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
booored wrote:
OK... you now your making sense. Yea that is sort of how I am playing at the moment. I leave the gates open, so we get surges instead of doom tokens but we try to seal the mas soon as we have 5 tokens.
This is generally the best way to play, but you sometimes have to just close (not seal) gates to make sure you don't hit the open gate limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.