Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Zarek prohibited from using a location if a Cylon is there? This seems very harsh, especially in a 6 or 7 player game where there could be 3 Cylons camping on the 3 locations that are likely to be of interest to him. Probably worth asking Corey, which I'll do in a day or so if no one has a good answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Convicted Criminal - You may not activate locations occupied by other characters (except the "Brig")

That to me still implies YES. He IS prohibited from using locations where other characters (cylon or human... revealed or not) are at.

Don't forget there's one other location available, Resistance HQ if that isn't plugged up. Also, there's the Attack Occupation Force "location", which really isn't a location since it's a global action available to all humans that Zarek can always do.

InfoCynic wrote:
Is Zarek prohibited from using a location if a Cylon is there? This seems very harsh, especially in a 6 or 7 player game where there could be 3 Cylons camping on the 3 locations that are likely to be of interest to him. Probably worth asking Corey, which I'll do in a day or so if no one has a good answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
Yep, Zarek is very limited once you get to New Caprica. However, he can still execute people, attack occupation forces, or spread around some Executive Order love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James McMurray wrote:
Yep, Zarek is very limited once you get to New Caprica. However, he can still execute people, attack occupation forces, or spread around some Executive Order love.

Wouldn't that be off limits if execution require the use of Resistance HQ and others are on there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarek could easily fail to draw an XO, and you could always get lucky and not have an OF on the board (or you could realize that for the most part, they're not a threat -- a destroyed civvie doesn't change the number of civvies you need to evacuate to be safe). In our game it basically became 'put zarek in detention when you have to pick someone because he's useless anyway'

Edit; Oh, and executing someone isn't usually that helpful by this stage... I've seen it, but it seems like the exception not the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
James McMurray wrote:

Wouldn't that be off limits if execution require the use of Resistance HQ and others are on there?

Yes, but the cylons can't close that location off from him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James McMurray wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
James McMurray wrote:

Yes, but the cylons can't close that location off from him.
That's news to me. I figured a cylon tactic could've been to just move there soley to keep Zarek from using it, even though a revealed cylon himself couldn't. And there may be cases where humans may wanna pile onto that location. Reasons? I'm still not sure about....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually execute a revealed cylon once we get to NC. There is usually enough treachery floating around that we can pass the check without losing any valuable cards, and by the time the cylon player probably has a pretty sizable hand of cards which he can use to make your life difficult. It's nice to make him discard.

But I suppose it depends on the situation. If morale is looking low and you have enough treachery, you are going to need as much help as you can get passing skill checks, and executing a cylon is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
That's news to me. I figured a cylon tactic could've been to just move there soley to keep Zarek from using it, even though a revealed cylon himself couldn't. And there may be cases where humans may wanna pile onto that location. Reasons? I'm still not sure about....

Sorry, I was misremembering and thinking that it's lack of a cylon ability meant that cylons couldn't go there. They can, but since they can't use the location and can't use most action cards, it's doesn't seem like that good of an idea. They can stop Zarek from executing people, but (apart from the card loss that might not be a big deal) they may as well be executing themselves, since they're not taking any actions or furthering their victory. I'm not saying it would never be a good idea, but I can't think of a time when there wouldn't be better things to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Clautice
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James McMurray wrote:
Yep, Zarek is very limited once you get to New Caprica.

One more way New Caprica hits the flavor on the nose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Wick
msg tools
mbmb
Wood4Sheep wrote:

There's an additional interesting thematic effect: When confronted with an oppressive regime, Zarek's only course of action is violence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revclayton wrote:
Wood4Sheep wrote:

There's an additional interesting thematic effect: When confronted with an oppressive regime, Zarek's only course of action is violence.

Well he could consolidate power or even scout, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Wick
msg tools
mbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Well he could consolidate power or even scout, too.

While that's true, I like to think of it as a precursor to the violence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
It's BSG. All things are a precursor to the violence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James McMurray wrote:
It's BSG. All things are a precursor to the violence.

That kind of talk will get you thrown out an airlock mister. We are a peaceful society that will defend that peace with lethal force if need be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.