Subject: Creating a custom set of miniatures for DT base set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed DT sets so far:
1 Fire & Water
2 Minotaur goodie
3 Base Set
4 Paladins & Dragons
5 Forces pf Darkness
6 Mercenaries

Using D&D miniatures and two figures from Dark World, I've got all 8 characters in yellow and blue represented.
The ork and Troll need a bit more painting. Also, I'd like to switch out the ork's scimitar for a wrench (any help with this is appreciated!) otherwise these guys are ready to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Miuccio
United States
Norristown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Very nice As a former Mage Knight player, I've often toyed with the idea of doing this with the MK figs. I actually have figs for all the characters in all the expansions planned out (Some of them are kinda hard, the Dragons and the Mammoth for example). If you would like to see what I came up with for each character, let me know and I'll post them or email them to you. If you're looking to take it a step further, Mage Knight created Dungeon tiles that are perfect for creating a 3D dungeons (Only problem is they are out of print and somewhat expensivve). I have enough of these to do this, maybe one day I'll get motivated enough to build a 3D version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please post your selections. I'm curious as to what you would use.
I'm still not sure what I want to use for the Illusionist figure from Paladins & Dragons and the General and Assassin from Mercenaries.

For the Illusionist, I'd like to use the MK Noble Initiate, but the rest of the figures in my set are D&D minis. If I use the MK figure, the size difference slightly knocks the scale out of whack.

I considered hunting down miniature fountains for the healing fountains in the game. Didn't Mage Knight make fountains?

Also, Uber202 had similar designs for substituting figures. Here's his original thread with some ideas posted:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/374241

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Miuccio
United States
Norristown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I will work on posting them soon, unfortunately when I did this I used a commercial seller site to get all the links and pics, so I feel kinda funny posting them here (Don't think that's allowed). I'll work on getting the actual names of the MK figs I'd used.

I like the Noble Initiate for the Illusionist, but Id consider Elebeth the Pure or Morgana Stormbringer. I think Spirit Taker is a perfect assassin. General is pretty tough, I went with General Russo (He is a General after all :-p). Some of the figs need to be adapted to what you think they should be. Even the troll takes some massaging if you want to use all MK figs. Im not sure if you want to get into the priciness of uniques and such, but the elementals from MK Dungeons are perfect as well. I agree that you cant mix D&D and MK due to the size of the figs.

Mage Knight made 2 artifact sets and the second one had a perfect fountain in it. Problem is you get one and they are about 6 bucks for the set (On Ebay), so it might run high to get enough. Also, the trap packs have some really neat flat traps as well as exotic traps that could be used to denote the DT traps.

Now you've got me thinking about making my 3D set again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm interested too. I am also former MK player and have lots of figs. Unfortunatly, the base doesn't fit well on the dungeon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyriphiry wrote:
Hey, I'm interested too. I am also former MK player and have lots of figs. Unfortunatly, the base doesn't fit well on the dungeon...

Peter, if you want to see how I addressed the issue, see my Fire & Water thread and let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Miuccio
United States
Norristown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
If you're going to use the MK figs, then I think you need to create a 3D dungeon to go with them. Best way I've found to do this is use the MK Dungeons 3D stuff. The unfortunate thing about that is it's all out of print now and unlike the other MK stuff, the 3D stuff has at least doubled in value on Ebay. I think a lot of D&D people discovered this as a cheap alternative after the fact. Fortunately I was a judge for MK and used most of my points from running events to buy a TON of this. I do think I will explore HeroClix figs and see if there is anything better for some of the choices I made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.