Subject: Rule clarification please ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read, re-read and re-re-read the rules and still don't get it.

During his turn:
1. The player chooses one of the two possible tile sets (own tiles, mixed tiles) and places the tiles in front of him.
2. According to the rules, he then "extends creepers and does additional actions.". Possible actions, with a 3 points to spend limit, are : extend his creeper, extend oponent's creeper, place or move a stone, remove oponent's stone.

Does this mean the player will first use up all the tiles from the patch he picked and place them all on the board, then he may use 3 action points to do some more? Or is he only allowed to place a maximum of 3 tiles, taken from the patch he chose at the start? The unused tiles would then be placed back in the patch, along with new tiles to fill it up.

This is not clear from the rules. If the second is true, the rules should read: "Then, that player has 3 action points to extend creepers and do additional actions.", or "Then, that player extends creepers and does additional actions, with a limit of 3 action points to spend per turn".

It is also unclear if a user has to use up his 3 action points, or if he can choose not to use the all.

Finally, there is a weird statement in the rules:
Quote:
The picked set is then split into two smaller ones (one with basic and second with extended tiles), after which they are flip them face down. The tiles should be aligned randomly.

I believe this means I pile the tiles randomly, I don't spread them on the table (align).

Thanks for your answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Szumny
Poland
Wrocław / Głubczyce
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First - thanks for downloading Creepers!

linael wrote:
Does this mean the player will first use up all the tiles from the patch he picked and place them all on the board, then he may use 3 action points to do some more? Or is he only allowed to place a maximum of 3 tiles, taken from the patch he chose at the start? The unused tiles would then be placed back in the patch, along with new tiles to fill it up.

Player has 3 actions to use in his turn. Placing 1 tile on the board costs 1 action, so he can place 3 tiles on board (for 3 actions) OR do other actions for that actions.
Unused tiles stays in front of player for further use (player collect tiles during game and he has more of them every turn).

linael wrote:
It is also unclear if a user has to use up his 3 action points, or if he can choose not to use the all.

Player CAN use all 3 actions but he doesn't need to.

linael wrote:
Finally, there is a weird statement in the rules:
Quote:
The picked set is then split into two smaller ones (one with basic and second with extended tiles), after which they are flip them face down. The tiles should be aligned randomly.

I believe this means I pile the tiles randomly, I don't spread them on the table (align).

Yep, you are right. Tiles in piles should be aligned/placed randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Pitulski
Poland
Toruń
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember also about additional 4 action for putting tile, which you have, when yuou spend all three action points on puting tiles on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your clarifications. This makes the rules clear. I will give the game a try this week-end and will review it on BGG. The tiles and board are printed but I have tou mount and cut out all the bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Szumny
Poland
Wrocław / Głubczyce
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you have already time to try Creepers? We are looking forward to your opinion ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also needed some clarification. I have this all printed and plan on getting a game in soon. As I was reading through the rules though I was a bit confused by the Circle and X tiles. In the rules it states: Basic tiles (a circle on the reverse): straights and turns. This is the only time these tiles are mentioned. What do they do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Szumny
Poland
Wrocław / Głubczyce
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stubobj wrote:
I also needed some clarification. I have this all printed and plan on getting a game in soon. As I was reading through the rules though I was a bit confused by the Circle and X tiles. In the rules it states: Basic tiles (a circle on the reverse): straights and turns. This is the only time these tiles are mentioned. What do they do?

Circle and X are just "images" on the reverses sides of tiles so you could split all tiles into two piles (basic with circle and extended with X).
It's important during preparing patches, because you need to draw correct tiles. For example first patch is "3 basic tiles of the first player (2 face up, 1 face down) and 1 extended tile of the first player (face down)" so it means you need three circle and one X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoki koko
Croatia
flag msg tools
Hello.

(First, sorry on my English.)

I also have problem with some rules.

First about piercing:
from the rules "...can be replaced with a piercing tile as long as both players' creepers aren't connected after such a change."
Does it means that piercing tile can also replace opponent's: turns, lifts, double and triple forks??

Now about lifting:
on second level are only walls, roof, or when you are on other creeper (not bench...), and i can climb to roof only by wall? But, what if i am on other creeper (on 2nd level), can i climb to roof from him? Or both of us are under roof, but rules says, there are no third level.
And how to climb on middle of wall that is, for example, adjacent the stick? It isn't possible because roof is above the wall?

Question about points:
"leads one branch of opponent's creeper to the edge of the board, wall or another creaper (+4) points"
Here i understand part about "killing" branch to the edge or to another creeper, but this part about wall. How did i stopped branch, bathtub opponent in next turn can put lifting tile on wall and continue to grow that branch??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Szumny
Poland
Wrocław / Głubczyce
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zkovac65 wrote:
I also have problem with some rules.

Hi, thanks for interesting in Creepers ;)

zkovac65 wrote:
First about piercing:
from the rules "...can be replaced with a piercing tile as long as both players' creepers aren't connected after such a change."
Does it means that piercing tile can also replace opponent's: turns, lifts, double and triple forks??

Yes, you can replace ANY enemy tile as long as both creepers won't be connected.

zkovac65 wrote:
Now about lifting:
on second level are only walls, roof, or when you are on other creeper (not bench...), and i can climb to roof only by wall? But, what if i am on other creeper (on 2nd level), can i climb to roof from him? Or both of us are under roof, but rules says, there are no third level.
And how to climb on middle of wall that is, for example, adjacent the stick? It isn't possible because roof is above the wall?

The thing is: you can't just climb to roof from ground level. Roof is only a bonus when you are on second level. From ground you can climb to adjacent wall or another creeper tile.

zkovac65 wrote:
Question about points:
"leads one branch of opponent's creeper to the edge of the board, wall or another creaper (+4) points"
Here i understand part about "killing" branch to the edge or to another creeper, but this part about wall. How did i stopped branch, bathtub opponent in next turn can put lifting tile on wall and continue to grow that branch??

You earn points for blocking enemy creeper (when you point it in direction of wall, edge of board or another creeper) even if opponent can in his next turn use lifting or piercing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoki koko
Croatia
flag msg tools
Thanx! I'll tray to play now, and if i hawe some new questions, i'll ask you! Cool game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoki koko
Croatia
flag msg tools
Can you tell me one practically thing, for example, one creeper is on the roof, and another one shuld go under the roof. Now, where to put tile of creeper that is under the roof, should i put it on tile of creeper that is on the roof?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Szumny
Poland
Wrocław / Głubczyce
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zkovac65 wrote:
Can you tell me one practically thing, for example, one creeper is on the roof, and another one shuld go under the roof. Now, where to put tile of creeper that is under the roof, should i put it on tile of creeper that is on the roof?

There is no such thing as "under" and "on" roof. Roof is only a name of bonus for certain tiles on the second level on board. If tile is on ground level it earns no bonus, if it's on second level it earns bonus from "roof".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoki koko
Croatia
flag msg tools
Mar_cus wrote:
zkovac65 wrote:

There is no such thing as "under" and "on" roof. Roof is only a name of bonus for certain tiles on the second level on board. If tile is on ground level it earns no bonus, if it's on second level it earns bonus from "roof".

Hm, now i am confused

Here is one example:

Ok, can you explain to me what now is hapening? Red creeper is on second level, and blue is on ground, and let's assume, i'm blue one. And i want to go to white flower. Can i go "under" roof (because i'm on first level, and red one is on second)? Or does only one tile can be on one "square" field? Does red one, then get points for white flower?

And what about:to extend on second part: "as long as there is some kind support from below (wall or another creeper)"

That means, it is possible to put tile on a tile (creeper on creeper)??

I don't get it this all thing about lifting and second level. Sorry for boring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Szumny
Poland
Wrocław / Głubczyce
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I see your mistake. So here it goes:
To put tile on wall you need lifting, because tile on wall can be put only on second level. When creeper is leaving wall it instantly goes to ground level - so in your example red creeper won't go on roof. It will earn points for white flower. The only way blue creeper can get white flower is to pierce red creeper on flower tile. Or blue creeper can use lifting on red creeper to climb on second level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoki koko
Croatia
flag msg tools
I understand what you say, but you don't get what i want to ask because of my mistake - i forgot to put lifting sign:

With this situation, red is on second, and blue on the ground. And can you now explain to me, my previous questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Szumny
Poland
Wrocław / Głubczyce
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I explained it in previous post
When creeper is leaving wall it instantly goes drops to the ground level if there is no creeper tile - so in your example red creeper won't go on roof (because roof is a second level and your creeper falls to ground level).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoki koko
Croatia
flag msg tools
Ok, i thing i understand what you are talking, all the time i thought, that creeper when is on wall, can cross to roof and continue to move on roof on second level. soblue

But only if creeper is on wall or another creeper (on second level) and "under" roof, he get's bonus points, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Szumny
Poland
Wrocław / Głubczyce
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zkovac65 wrote:
But only if creeper is on wall or another creeper (on second level) and "under" roof, he get's bonus points, right? ;)

Yes ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, have read and read the rules. Sorry, but they are very poor, and I don't think it is just the translation. That is not briliant, but you get the feeling that even if the obviously poorly translated bits were translated perfectly, it still would not properly describe the game.

I will read and reread the rules and the various comments and replies on threads on here, and hopefully that will answer some of the confusion I have.

Things I have not seen asked anywhere, however, include the following:

1) The example patches always show a straight and a turn tile for each player. Does this have to be the case? When a player refills a patch, must he turn over tiles looking for one of each type, or does he simply take two tiles at random and turn them over? So that in a patch there may be 2 basic tiles of the same type for a player? If the latter, then you should state that in the rules, or one fof the patch examples should show that it is possible. If the former, then you should state that in the rules.

2) Must a player turn any face down tiles from his chosen patch face up in front of him? Or should he keep them face down? If the latter, I assume he is allowed to look at it to see what sort of tile it is. I assume there is no limit to the number of tiles a player may have in front of him.

3) Can you pierce any opponent's tile (including branched ones) or just straight ones as per the example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
... and

4) Am I right to assume that the rule on extending an opponent's creeper should be that you can only extend a particular end of the creeper by at most one tile per turn? That seems to make some sense and explain the rather cryptic "this can be done only twice a turn". As written it would be legal to place 2 tiles at any end point of a creeper once it had branched. As it stands it just comes across as an arbitrary restriction.

5) On the "Actions on board" section on point scoring, is the intention of the statement "leads one branch of opponent's creeper to the edge of the board, wall or another creeper" just to mean that you get the points if you place a tile such that that branch of the creeper cannot be extended by a basic tile? Or something more complex? I would have thought that opponents would often be perfectly happy if you drove their creeper into a wall. Can you get the points for leading a branch of their creeper so that it is blocked by itself (the wording "or another creeper" is confusing since there is only 1 other creeper)?

6) Point scoring:
a) If I play a pierce tile on a square that scores points (such as one of the flowers), do I get the points even though the opponent has already scored for that square? If I pierce a creeper on a stick of my colour, does that count for the bonus for connecting the sticks up?

b) If I lift up to a wall under the greenhouse roof (even with the 'clarifications' in these threads, the roof is very badly explained) do I score 1 for being on level 2 plus 2 for touching the roof = 3?

c) Once I reach level 2, do I score 1 point for every additional square I move on to that is still on level 2? Thus, for example, if I lift onto the opponent's creeper, do I score a point for every tile I place that extends my creeper on top of his?

7) Can I play a stone on top of a played tile to block the square at level 2? Can I play a stone in front of my own creeper to stop my opponent from extending it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.