BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: For 8: Saboteur or Loot? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm attending a dinner party this weekend with 8 people. The host has asked me to bring some games. (Yay!) I was planning on bringing both Loot and Saboteur, since they're simple and portable. For people who have played both, how would you rank the following three options: (1) Saboteur; (2) Loot - Non-Partnership; (3) Loot - Partnership.

A brief description of the group: Of the 8 people, 3 or 4 of them are very enthusiastic and competitive, in a good way, and I've had excellent experiences playing games with this subgroup in the past, including Bohnanza and Ticket to Ride. The rest of them are much more quiet. I've played games with this whole group before, but only party games (like Catchphrase and Celebrities). That's been fun, though again half the group is much more enthusiastic and demonstrative than the other half.

FYI, of the three options, I've only played Loot - Non-Partnership, which I thought was just ok, but which some of the other people I played with really liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played loot, but let me HIGHLY recommend Saboteur for 8 people. It's tremendous fun and offers a great combination of cooperation, competition, and stab-your-friend-in-the-back-iness. It also plays reasonably fast, explains very fast, and you can pick up the theme especially easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Avann
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Loot either I'm afraid but have played Saboteur with 6 players. I would think that Saboteur with eight would be great! My own group has a mixture of loud/quiet players and team/competitive people and everyone really enjoyed it. We think it suits all sorts of styles and works really well. In fact it went down so well with my games group that I can't think of a game I own that produced anywhere near as much laughter. Of course, fake Dwarven accents and general lamp smashing mayhem may be partly to blame. Take both, play Saboteur first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your recommendations! Saboteur looks like the way to go. Out of curiosity, what saboteur/dwarves proportion and variants do people use? I was thinking of playing with 4 saboteurs and 4 dwarves and the Werewolf variant (where the saboteurs have an opportunity to silently signal to each other before the game begins).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Loot 4 players but I get the idea from my experiences with it and from the recommendation in the rulebook that it plays best that way. I can't imagine playing it with 8 players. Six is definately as high as I would consider going. I also wouldn't play Loot as a non-team game (even the rulebook suggests it is best played as teams). It really works best as a 4 player 2on2 game. Maybe a 6 player 2on2on2 game. Definately not an 8 player game and definately not a every-man-for-himself kind of thing.

I haven't played Saboteur unfortunately.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
celiborn wrote:
Thanks for your recommendations! Saboteur looks like the way to go. Out of curiosity, what saboteur/dwarves proportion and variants do people use? I was thinking of playing with 4 saboteurs and 4 dwarves and the Werewolf variant (where the saboteurs have an opportunity to silently signal to each other before the game begins).

Having the Saboteurs known to each other is a good idea, but 4 is too many for an 8-player game. Go with the official rules - 6 goldiggers and 3 saboteurs (thus there could be 2 or 3 saboteurs in play).

I also play with the variant where the centre goal card is placed 1 space further back. I've generally found that it's quite difficult for the saboteurs to win, but they have more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.