Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
I've been introducing some good quality games to my work colleagues with excellent success. We've now settled on a fairly tight set of games and though I see we'll have to change out some of them Quoridor will certainly stay a little while longer. Particularly as we've been playing some variants to keep it fresh and adjust for our player composition. The games we currently play are:
2 players
---------
- Fight! (also known as Pennywise, or Change).
- Quoridor plain and simple the two player game is awesome quick abstract fun.

3 players
---------
- Bohnanza
- Quoridor with my 3 player variant.

4 players
---------
- Quoridor either as normal with four, or with my partnership variant.
(- Sometimes Bohnanza)

5+ players
---------
- Saboteur.

Three player Quoridor variant
-----------------------------
Set up as with four except one pawn isn't used. The odd player gets 6 walls and the other players each get 7 walls (each move they play will generally help themselves and hinder the odd player BUT each wall the odd player makes generally affects both of the other players). this has worked reasonably well. There certainly aren't any obvious exploits we've found yet. Nevertheless, it does feel slightly assymetric and as new gamers these players don't necessarily see that as interesting or a good thing.

Partnership Variant
-------------------
Simply the players opposite each other become partners. The game plays with all the restrictions of a normal four player game except both players in a partnership count as winning if either one of their pawns wins the game. This was designed as a way to get around the kingmaking issues we were coming across when playing normal 4 player Quoridor.

I'm aware that many people aren't keen on four player Quoridor. I have no understanding why; it's a great little game. When played by the normal rules there's a fair amount of take that and banter. Lots of metagaming etc. One player got bored of being forced to make a defensive move and so we came up with this as a variant to solve some issues. We have tried it once and it certianly made for an intriguing game. We allowed discussion but perhaps will change that restriction for future games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on 4P: great little game. I like the sound of your partnership and other variant. If I ever get my hands on my copy, I'll give them a whirl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
A new variant we have just tried that spiced the game up a fair bit. One problem with 4p is the kingmaking aspect. Now to counter this we applied a scoring mechanism to the game so the winner earns four points the person to their right earns 2 and then 1 and 0 on around the table. This way the usual "leave it to the person to their right" syndrome for blocking the leader is rewarded if carried out well because you increase your likely score by doing so. However that player doesn't really want to retaliate because if the playe to their right wins they earn 2nd prize of 2 points.

Try it, it rewards constantly changing emergent alliances... maybe I should tell JC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.