Hide
8 Posts

Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Help me pick an avatar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James McMurray
msg tools
Ok, I've narrowed my choices down to three, but can't decide which avatar I want to play. They all sound like fun in their own ways. We'll be starting at silver.

Beastlord
Focused
3 Spawn Treachery
Silver Humanoids
The 2 Farrows
Silver eldritch (purchased on the first turn)
15 saved to upgrad humanoids to gold in the future

The beastman lord would rule the dungeons, especially rumors and legendary areas where the group can't flee without leaving behind the prize they came for. Also, we're not using the unoffical thread of answers here, so spawns work as normal in encounters. Our last campaign ended after a fight with Eliza Farrow gave a TPK, so 3 spawn treachery and cheaper spawns means hordes of bad guys to protect the lieutenants.

The Titan
2 Spawn Treachery
1 Event Treachery
Silver Humanoids
The 2 Farrows
Silver eldritch (purchased on the first turn)
15 saved to upgrad humanoids to gold in the future

The titan would play much like the beastman lord, but with some added event trickiness (Crushing Blow, huzzah!). Thaadd is cheaper than the two lieutenants the beastman lord gets, and similar in effect (faster sieges), so he'll likely be my first purchase after gold humanoids (kobolds and beastmen out the ears).

Spider Queen
Silver Beasts
Focused
The 2 Farrows
Slaggaroth
4 Trap treachery
1 Event treachery
3xp saved

The Spider Queen's dungeon presence is much weaker, though traps can be painful. However, she'll be much stronger when it comes to whittling down the heroes in encounters and the event treachery will be useful for Crushing Blow in dungeons and a Danger + Rage combo in lieutenant encounters (once the party gets Wind Pact so Crushing Blow is useless there).

Demon Prince
Kar-Amog-Atoth
Silver Eldritch
4 Event Treachery
Siege Engines
The 2 Farrows
Focused
4 xp saved

Though also focusing on the overland map, the demon prince's eldritch upgrades leaves him some bite in the dungeons, and access to Crushing Blow, Enraged, Dark Power (for Dark Priests), Ambush, and other fun events will hopefuilly go far in differentiating him from the Sorcerer King, who was the overlord in our last campaign. Siege Engines and Kar-Amog-Atoth mean -2 to a city's defense value and the silver backup will help protect at least 2 of the lieutenants. My first 11xp would probably combine with the 4 saved to buy a point of spawn treachery, for even more lieutenant protection. After that, a Travel Gem to put my special lieutenant in the farthest city from the heroes.

No matter who I play, I'll be trying to summon a bunch of comets for the Ascension plot. I'll be flat out ignoring any opportunities to siege Tamalir, as that's how our last campaign ended and I don't want to retread old ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Send me 30GG please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
I don't know what that means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally really like the Titan when I play, probably because he's the not-so-subtle brute force kind of guy. I have yet to get a campaign to the end Avatar battle, so I'm not sure how that would play out with him (our campaigns seem to sizzle out midway through silver), but as for the main game, he's just fun.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Bowden
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
James McMurray wrote:
I don't know what that means.

He's making a joke... Avatars for this Boardgamegeek forum cost 30 geek gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James McMurray wrote:
Ok, I've narrowed my choices down to three, but can't decide which avatar I want to play. They all sound like fun in their own ways. We'll be starting at silver.

As a matter of information, we've played the silver start rules with the Titan Avatar.

Its an insanely fast start for him with his special Lt counting walls as one less, especially as the first two cities were razed on the first roll. Within about 6 turns the OL had 3 cities razed (we started with one razed already because the rules have the OL not actually even getting to spend his CT - clearly the OL's setup functions have been entirely missed out and our experience is that razing 1-2 cities is common in copper (not to mention already having the Lts in useful positions when the campaign flips to silver level) and was earning 4CT per turn!

I had to do the Silver Legendary dungeon to get Wind Pact and Boggs but was already preventing spawns so easily with a fast, light party that I didn't even bother with Boggs IIRC.

Heroes were much weaker than usual by the final battle (especially with the comets in play removing 4 fatigue each and all the Lts reinforcing) but still smashed the OL convincingly in the final battle.

It was a really tight, hard campaign with the heroes under immense pressure all the time (great fun, we much prefer 'even' games that could go either way) but they pulled through in the end. The blackest hour was fighting Alric immediately after just barely seeing off Thadd the same turn. Raged Diamond Master Medusas backed up by 10+ threat (Danger) for movement/dice upgrades are really, really scary. Only a miss saved the second hero from dying during her activation (she killed the fresh tank with her first two shots and then moved on to the Rapid firing archer, almost killing with the third shot and missing with the last). If that hero had died I think the other two could not have held out for long, giving the OL raze rolls against Tamalir.

Not advice, just experience/information. It was a good experience for us, because we like it tight and pressured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
Thanks! I'm definitely going with the Titan if I choose a spawn monkey. I like the Beastman Lord, but I'm thinking event treachery is just too important.

The final choice will depend on who the fourth hero is, they've got Battlemage Jaes, Verikas (+Leadership), and Silhouette (+Acrobat). Jaes's skill and the purchasing of upgrades is waiting on all four heroes to be draw to they know which two training spots they want to use. One of them will almost certainly be Olmric's Hut (Cleaving, Quick Casting, Rapid Fire).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
Thought of a new Titan layout if I go that route. This one focuses a lot more on the overland map, and accounts for me confusing Kar-Amog-Atoth and Thaadd (I thought it was the demon that lowerd city defense values):

2 Spawn Treachery
1 Event Treachery
The 2 Farrows
Thaadd the Destroyer
Siege Engines
Focused
Silver something

I can't decide what to upgrade to silver first, humanoids or eldritch, though I'm leaning towards eldritch since they'll net me more XP and are easier to spawn. That would leave me 5 xp unspent, which would be saved for upgrading humanoids next. If I start by upgrading humanoids instead, it strengthens Thaad, weakens Lord Merrick, and means I'll only need to earn 15xp to upgrade eldritch. Though that 15 would be harder to earn in dungeons because humanoids are not as common as eldritch critters. Also, the 2 spawn treachery would both be Legions of the Dead, which at silver will benefit greatly from the Titan's ability.

After looking at the starting locations on the board, I'm leaning more towards this build of the Titan or the Demon Prince. I like the Spider Queen, and slaggaroth's ability to hunt down weak heroes, but she's so far away from siegable cities (especially key ones like Greyhaven or Riverwatch) that a lieutenant fleeing costs her at least 2 weeks, probably more. The titan also suffers from this somewhat, but makes up for it by being within 2 weeks of multiple places and speeding up his sieges via Thaadd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.