Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Göran Strand
Sweden
Frösön
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have I understood the rules correctly when playing solo like this:

The Germans have the initiative. They move one step, then the Russians may react, they don't because no LOS.

Next step for the Germans move them into a wooden building putting them within one hex from the Russians, who also is in a tree building (The hex next to the Russian), will the Russian then gain the +3FP bonus for short range firing when they react, or will just the Germans receive this bonus since they have the initiative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Russians have the +3 bonus. That's the risk of moving in for a short range attack.

The same is for close combat. If you move into an enemy occupied hex for CC, the enemy can (if they have enough Action Points or CAPs) attack you first with all the bonuses.

Initiative is irrelevant on both instances.

Without looking at the rules, I believe Initiative only affects the first play of the round. Once the first action is undertaken, initiative is again irrelevant...I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Göran Strand
Sweden
Frösön
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that's what I thougt.

Another thing. Can I take an opertunity action with an unused unit while having another unit activated? Is there any best practices on when to use opertunity actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can.

Usually it is best, if you are going to do it for a high cost action, that won't leave you enough points to do anything usefull anyway. Mostly this means anything costing 5 or more points (rallying, high cost firing, hiding, etc.)

With the SoS rules it is usually a kind of cost benefit analysis wether you want to loose the remaining AP of the current unit or the "surplus" AP of the unit you need to do something with.

You also need to consider wether the "wasted" AP could be usefull for something else if bolstered with a few caps (like an extra MG shot or an extra rally attempt)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Göran Strand
Sweden
Frösön
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so if I do a opertunity action with a unit, the activated unit becomes used? I thought that I could do a opertunity action with one unit and still keep my activated unit active and continue using the remaining AP on it.

Example:

I activate a unit (unit A) and get 7AP. I move one hex at the cost of 1AP. Oponent activates a unit (unit B) and moves 2 hexes. This moves the opponent in good firing position for another of my units (unit C), so I take an opertunity action and shoot with unit C for the cost of 4CAP and then mark unit C as used. Oponent respond fire and misses unit C, then I continue using my activated unit A that still has 6AP.

Is this correct, or does unit A get used status (losing the 6 remaining APs) when my unit C takes the opertunity action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Pauwels
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gost wrote:
Ok, so if I do a opertunity action with a unit, the activated unit becomes used? I thought that I could do a opertunity action with one unit and still keep my activated unit active and continue using the remaining AP on it.

Example:

I activate a unit (unit A) and get 7AP. I move one hex at the cost of 1AP. Oponent activates a unit (unit B) and moves 2 hexes. This moves the opponent in good firing position for another of my units (unit C), so I take an opertunity action and shoot with unit C for the cost of 4CAP and then mark unit C as used. Oponent respond fire and misses unit C, then I continue using my activated unit A that still has 6AP.

Is this correct, or does unit A get used status (losing the 6 remaining APs) when my unit C takes the opertunity action?

Your example is correct. using opportunity action with your C squad does not spend your A squad.
This is also illustrated in the rulebook on p3 under 3.1 Opportunity Actions:
Ex: Figure 1. The German player activates and moves squad A
forward for 1AP, counts the AP marker down to 6APs on his green
unit AP track, and ends his turn. The Soviet activates squad C, fires
at squad A for 4APs, moves his green unit AP track marker down to
3APs, and misses. It is the German’s turn and he wants to fire with
the fresh HMG B at squad C. Instead of marking squad A as spent
(thus losing its remaining 6APs) and activating the HMG B, the
German instead opportunity fires with the HMG. The opportunity fire
marks the HMG as spent and it can no longer be activated this round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gost wrote:

No, it doesn't become used.

What I meant is that you will mostly have too options to proceed:

A) Keep the active unit as active and use another unit with an opportunity action, thereby mostly wasting some of the other units AP

B) Flipping the active unit to used and activating the other unit, thereby wasting the first units remaining AP.

For example if you only have one AP left on your active unit, it may be better to just forfeit that and activate the other unit.
On the other hand if your active unit still has 6 AP left, then it is very likely better to use the other one with an opportunity action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alfaro
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gost wrote:

Example:

I activate a unit (unit A) and get 7AP. I move one hex at the cost of 1AP. Oponent activates a unit (unit B) and moves 2 hexes.

Are you allowed to move two hexes as an action? I was under the impression that each time you moved a hex it was a movement action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A unit may have bonus moves (vehicles) that allow multiple hex moves. I believe there are also cards that allow this(?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Göran Strand
Sweden
Frösön
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wrote two hexes without thinking, but if I remember correctly you must pause after each hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alfaro
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mojayhawk wrote:
A unit may have bonus moves (vehicles) that allow multiple hex moves. I believe there are also cards that allow this(?)

Sorry, I should have specified standard foot movement without cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you've received confusing answers to a question poised none-to-carefully, I will try to clarify options and terms in the situation you described.

You've activated some unit and expended an AP or 2 from it, it has many APs remaining. The enemy moves into LOS of some other unit of yours and you'd like to do something about it. You have many options, not just one.

(1) flip the old active unit and make the new unit you want to fire with your active unit. The unused APs of the old active unit are lost. The new unit has its full allowance of 7 APs. This is changing your *active unit*.

(2) use *CAPs* rather than APs. CAPs are not APs, they are more flexible, and a per full round budget for all your units. If you e.g. fire the second unit using 3 *CAPs*, you don't flip *either* unit. The first unit remains your active unit, and still has all its remaining APs. The second unit can activate normally later. This is a *command action*.

(3) use a card. Some cards allow an immediate action for no APs, or for 2 CAPs etc. Spending a card does not flip the old active unit, and may be used to do something with any unit, active or not. This is a *card action*.

(4) keep the old unit active and keep all of its APs, but act with the second unit, and immediately flip the *second unit* to expended, after its *one* action (of any cost). Notice, you get only 1 action out of the second unit. But you do not change your active unit and you keep all the old active unit's full remaining APs. This is an *opportunity action*.

(5) begin moving the second units *along with the original active unit*, using the AP budget of the *original active unit*. Both are now moving (or firing) at the same time, using the same AP budget. The new unit does not get its own budget of 7 APs, the APs of the original are not reset. But both units may move off the APs of the existing active unit. When the active unit's AP budget is finally used up, *both* units will be flipped to expended. This is a *group action*.

So you see, just saying you want to use a second unit, not the previously active one, is not enough to say how you do it. You have not one way of doing it, but 5. 4 out of the 5, all but the first, keep the APs of the original unit, and leave it active.

Method 1 means losing the unused APs of the original active unit.

Method 2 means using some of your global CAPs, instead of APs.

Method 3 means using up a card, and sometimes CAPs as well.

Method 4 means flipping the second, newly acting unit, after 1 action.

Method 5 means acting simultaneously, and forfeits later activation of the second unit, since both will flip once the original's AP budget is expended.

You pay your activity resources and make your choice. Each may be the right way in one situation and less than optimal in some other situation.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Göran Strand
Sweden
Frösön
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jason for a well explained answer.

I haven't come the the grouping section in the rules yet and the command action I forgot all about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonC wrote:

... The enemy moves into LOS of some other unit of yours and you'd like to do something about it. ...

Just to avoid misunderstandings:
That sentence about "Line of Sight of some other unit" is just a "good reason to do something".
It is not a requirement for doing something with a different unit. All the above options are very independent on what the opponent did or wether it was in or out of line of sight of any of your units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.