Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rockusultimus wrote:
In Canada too??

Alas, not that can see. I'm going to call them Thursday but if they can't mail to Canada I doubt they will make an exception for downloading from Canada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I phoned and he said no. I prodded a bit and he said they had made an announcment about Netflix opening up service to an "undisclosed foreign market" in 2010. Three guesses on which country that would be.

I might be able to spoof their service in a legal manner to get downloads but I won't volunteer how I am going to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it need a disk ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:

My guess is because it runs on Silverlight normally, which Sony won't/can't put on their machines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
cbdarden wrote:
SybotCB wrote:

My guess is because it runs on Silverlight normally, which Sony won't/can't put on their machines.

Silverlight doesn't run on the 360 either. The smart money is on this being a short term work-around for the exclusivity deal with Microsoft on the 360. Netflix are already on record as saying it's coming to the PS3 'dashboard' sometime next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Carter
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Serious question time:

PS3 or XBox 360? I don't have time to play games much anymore, but I want to stream Netflix movies to my big-screen tv.

Maybe skip the consoles altogether and go with a Roku box???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Roku seems like the way to go if you want streaming Netflix but don't care about video games. I haven't tried it though, so I can't give a personal recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Or if you want Blu-Ray, get one that does Netflix streaming. I've been pretty unhappy with the two Samsung devices I bought, and wound up buying a PS3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Carter
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mooninite wrote:
Or if you want Blu-Ray, get one that does Netflix streaming. I've been pretty unhappy with the two Samsung devices I bought, and wound up buying a PS3.

I'll probably skip Blu-Ray and just wait for the next big thing. I want my technology to look radically different enough from its predecessor that I don't feel like I'm being fooled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HTPC?

Grab a Dell Zino with a dual core chip, plug it in. Cheaper than a game console, and more useful, too! Should cost under $300.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a big thing to note. With real Netflix, you get the DVD and you watch it when you want and then you send it back.

These download services all have crap about 24 hour limits to your download (enforced by the movie studios). I think it's from the time you download it, but maybe someone else can clarify. It's why I haven't tried it. I'm going to watch the full 165 minute Watchmen movie after we put the kids in bed or else I lose the rest of the movie? Screw that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
These download services all have crap about 24 hour limits to your download (enforced by the movie studios).

Netflix streaming has no limits such as this. You don't 'download' the show first, you stream it. Were you referring to some other service and not netflix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the little Dell, by the way:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/inspiron-zino-hd/pd....

$229 to start with. As a builder, I can only marginally compete with that for more work, in a larger case. And the hard disk in it is a 3.5", so you can slap a 1+TB one in there on the cheap if you want.

It's not fast, but it's fast enough for blu-ray playback if you get the drive, and if you haven't played around with windows media center, you're missing out on a nice tool, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
BoB3K wrote:
These download services all have crap about 24 hour limits to your download (enforced by the movie studios).

Netflix streaming has no limits such as this. You don't 'download' the show first, you stream it. Were you referring to some other service and not netflix?

Yeah, looks like it. I was think of DirecTV's On Demand Downloads and XBox360 Video Marketplace. Both of those are downloads that expire after 24 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jforbes wrote:
Here's the little Dell, by the way:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/inspiron-zino-hd/pd....

$229 to start with. As a builder, I can only marginally compete with that for more work, in a larger case. And the hard disk in it is a 3.5", so you can slap a 1+TB one in there on the cheap if you want.

It's not fast, but it's fast enough for blu-ray playback if you get the drive, and if you haven't played around with windows media center, you're missing out on a nice tool, too.

Looks cool. I still have a homemade HTPC. It's getting old, and it can run hot in the cabinet, which starts its fan running. Have you heard any reviews of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:

I think it was the fastest way to get the thing to work. it uses the BD-Live feature of blueray (which could also then be used on other blueray players that have the BD-Live feature). I read that they plan to make a native PS3 app and incorporate it into the system later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have experience with it, nor have I seen reviews,

but have enough experience with that class of hardware to know what to expect.

System performance will be adequate for light general tasks like web browsing, old games, 720p video, but it will feel quite a bit slower than a normally specced full size desktop. The single core athlon will be a bit faster than an Atom at the same clockspeed... so you're talking netbook level performance. If you opt for the dual core chip, it would be fine for heftier computing tasks, will handle video playback better, may do 1080p, and should be plenty snappy as long as you're not trying to run photoshop or modern games.

And if you haven't seen or used win7, look around for reviews on the web. It does a lot, and does it very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:

yes, get a roku. i'v had one for over a year and it works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Carter
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
ejcarter wrote:

yes, get a roku. i'v had one for over a year and it works great.

Is the $79 model adequate? HD isn't a concern for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
Is the $79 model adequate? HD isn't a concern for me.

it should be, but it has fewer A/V connectivity options.

Quote:
SD
Video Outputs:
Composite video (480i)
Audio Output:
Stereo (L/R RCA)

HD
Video Outputs:
Composite video (480i)
S-Video (480i)
Component video (Y/Pb/Pr - 720p/480p)
HDMI (720p/480p)
Audio Output:
Stereo (L/R RCA)
Digital Optical (Toslink - Stereo/Surround)
Digital over HDMI (Stereo/Surround)

so as long as you can live with those options, you should be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

No.

Just thought you would like to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been watching Hi-Def movies on via Netflix on my XBOX 360 for a while now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately the selection of movies available to stream through the PS3 or Xbox 360 is gawd-awful. Barely any good movies that I saw (though I'll admit it was a while back that I tried it - perhaps they've improved their selections by now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.