Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm writing an app that will (hopefully) allow a trader to quickly and easily determine what kind of box he or she needs to buy in order to package up a game (or games) for shipping. The app will also give estimates on charges for the shipping based on the weight of the box and its contents.

So, for example, say I'm shipping out Puerto Rico. I'll call up the app, enter in that I'm shipping out Puerto Rico from ZIP Code 12345 to ZIP Code 87654, and it'll tell me that I can use a USPS Priority Mail box (of whatever product number), or go to FedEx and use Box 27B-6, or buy a box from Staples perhaps. And oh, by the way, it's cheapest to send via the FedEx TakesForever method, at $22.13.

Many dozens of XML API calls later, I have all of the base information pulled in to my database; now, I just need some people to help me test things.

NOTE: Keep in mind, the app is nowhere near complete. The main thing I need right now is people to measure some of their games (l * w * d), weigh them, and enter that information into the database. That way, I can start coding up the next steps in order to make this a functioning site. In other words--I need your data!

If you're interested in helping me out with this, please send me a GeekMail. It might be a few days before I get back to you, and it might even be a few days after that before you can get to testing things--but rest assured, I value your input. I'll ask you to provide the data as mentioned before, and then later I'll ask for your feedback on how things are progressing.

Finally, if you have any questions or comments in general, feel free to let me know.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you planning to have users enter all the dimension and weight data? Or will you eventually be calling some official master database that has this info?
I think that I submitted a design change request to BGG years ago to include fileds in their db for dimensions and weight (and MSRP). Never went anywhere, but I like the idea of the app you are creating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RoamDog wrote:
Are you planning to have users enter all the dimension and weight data? Or will you eventually be calling some official master database that has this info?
I think that I submitted a design change request to BGG years ago to include fileds in their db for dimensions and weight (and MSRP). Never went anywhere, but I like the idea of the app you are creating.

Right now I know of no good "master list" of data. I believe Funagain has weight data, but I don't know if I can query it--and even then, how to associate it 1:1 with an Edition (as I'm calling a unique game/publisher combination).

So, to answer your question, initially users (or I) will enter physical data. It's an inelegant solution, but frankly I don't know of another good way.

Incidentally, aside from poll results (i.e. "best with X players" etc.), I'm likely to have a working XML snapshot within the next week or two...something that BGG hasn't been able to do for a while, and something that is possible with all the data I've gathered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.