Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Henkemeyer
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
(I also posted this in the robo rally forum, so please excuse the double posting).

I want to play robo rally with a group of 8 people, but since some people are non gamers, I would like to use all 8 robots, but form 4 teams of 2 players, with shared goals (each team must reach 4 flags between their 2 robots, for instance). The idea here is to (a) foster some teamwork, (b) allow the novice players a chance to get help from one of the expert players, and (c) limit the time of the game.

Think this would be a good variant?

On a related note, having never played this before, can someone give me advice on how to make sure this game doesn't take more than 90 minutes with 8 players?

Thanks,
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to speed up the game is to turn the egg timer as soon as the cards are dealt.
If that is too harsh, turn the timer after the first player is finished programming.

The second option mentioned allows for a balancing mechanism since anyone with locked registers can finish their remaining program quickly putting more pressure on the less damaged robots (likely the more adept players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Henkemeyer wrote:
On a related note, having never played this before, can someone give me advice on how to make sure this game doesn't take more than 90 minutes with 8 players?

If the group has a lot of new players, you might want to start with two boards. Half the group starts at one end, half at the other. Their only goal is to get to the other side. New players can take a while just to get a handle on movement... theirs and the boards. This would give them a few hands of relatively simple play before they have to start worrying about interacting with 7 other bots in the middle of the boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henkemeyer
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok, just bought this game yesterday, and played it with the wife and son (9 yrs old) tonight. Let me just say that my 9 year old LOVES this game! As a matter of fact, we all do -- even my wife was getting a kick out of it (even though she kept screwing up her program).

I noticed now that the rules have several team scenarios, which is exactly what I'm looking for! For my team's offsite, I'm thinking about changing the double tool repair stations into "remove 2 damage counters" instead of "remove 1 dmg counter and draw an option card", and play w/o the option cards, to simplify at least our first game.

Thanks all for your insight -- this is a fantastic game!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.