Descent: The Tomb of Ice» Forums » General

Subject: Questions about Descent expansions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ive been playing Descent for quite a few times by now.
I have tried the roads to legend expansion and as soon as I get some answers for my questions, I will get my own copy of Descent and one expansion set, but which one to get?

When I tried the Roads to legend set, it seemed a bit confusing to use it as the only expansion set, specially because that whole treachery issue isn't very well explained if you don't have some of the other exp. sets.

So to make it short. Do the expansion sets depend on each other in order for them to work the best?

Course from what I can see, I would indeed prefer to buy Tomb of Ice as my first expansion set, if it's not highly recomended that you buy the sets chronological?

which one would you guy recommend as my first expansion set then?

and if so the right order would be:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark
----------------
Well of Darkness
Altar of Despair
The Roads to Legend
Tomb of Ice
Quest Compendium
Sea of Blood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kahan
United States
Annandale
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always recommend Well of Darkness as the first expansion, mainly for the introduction of treachery and also the quest are quite fun imho (though really hard too). Once you've gotten through the JITD quests and ready to move on to the Well of Darkness ones, I'd recommend also getting Tomb of Ice to give the heroes a bit of a boost with Feats. At this point, I'd probably then to go to Alter of Despair and would recommend bypassing Road to Legend and going straight to Sea of Blood if you are interested in the prolonged advance campaigns. The Quest Compendium should only be considered once you've exhaused the enjoyment you're getting from JITD, WOD, TOI and AOD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions are completely independant of each other, though most of the quests in the Quest Compendium assume you have the expansions.

If you like the Advanced Campaign, I'd recommend getting Sea of Blood first (when it's out, next month probably). So much is added/changed (25 skills completely replaced), it looks like it would play very well without any expansions.

If not in the mood for a very long game, then I'd look at Tomb of Ice. I really like that expansion, and if your heroes are having a hard time, the Feats are a nice feature. But ToI has so many original quests and features (like being swallowed by a monster, Hero worth 1CT, Invisibility die, etc), that it's a really cool expansion. One of my favorites.

The other two are kind of a toss up. I like them both, but about both equally. And if your heroes are having an easy time with the base quests, then get WoD or AoD, as that really ratchets up the difficulty.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Discussed in detail here and in several other threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel G
msg tools
mbmb
Personally I won't mix any expensions rules or cards together unless indicated.

Hte expensions are completely separated but some can require monsters from expensions, wich can be replaced with ordinary monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.