T N
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hei!

As I can´t get Space Hulk, I want something similar. Is Doom a good alternative?
I have played Space Crusade and I liked it, although it was a little too simple. Does Doom have any of the same feel and mechanics that Space Crusade has?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the first and second editions of Space Hulk are still out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three:

* You might still be able to find a copy of SH. Others posted its availability on other threads.

* IMO, Doom has the same tense atmosphere as SH, but it's a dungeoncrawl game (party of players vs. 'dungeon master'), not a one-on-one game.

* IMO, Space Crusade doesn't have the tense atmosphere that Doom and SH have. Or I played it incorrectly. laugh Doom is more tense and has more challenging mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
finland06 wrote:
Hei!

As I can´t get Space Hulk, I want something similar. Is Doom a good alternative?
I have played Space Crusade and I liked it, although it was a little too simple. Does Doom have any of the same feel and mechanics that Space Crusade has?

Hei!

Well, if you liked Space Crusade, you might try DOOM for sure! It plays well with 1 player/1Overlord, and also with up to three players/1 Overlord. The background is similar (Marines vs badass aliens), the gameplay to some extent as well, but you do get some extra abilities for your Marine player which can be vitally important as Doom tends to be merciless (if the Overlord player draws the right cards to foil your plans of overcoming the aliens and get out of the level).

In short: Doom is absolutely fun, though you might give it a try at your FGLS or with a friend who owns it before buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're different games, but similar enough that if you like one, you will most likely like the other. However, Doom is out of print, so if you can find it, BUY IT!

Also, someone said that you can preorder Space Hulk off of GamesWorkshop.com again. They doing a second print run?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still get Space Hulk:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekads/viewall/thing/54625

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Warren
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Also, someone said that you can preorder Space Hulk off of GamesWorkshop.com again. They doing a second print run?

-shnar

I did some research when I saw that second print run mentioned ~ which was a day or so after I picked up a copy on e-bay for a decent, not-marked-up-at-all-if-you-count-delivery, price ~ and I did find a direct link to the page that allowed you to order it, however the page wasn't fully functional. I think I saw someone else mention it just put something like "generic game" into your cart and wouldn't let you buy it.

As far as I can tell, they're still sticking with the party line that the 3rd edition will never be available again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cygnus 2112
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
They're different games, but similar enough that if you like one, you will most likely like the other. However, Doom is out of print, so if you can find it, BUY IT!

-shnar

No sign of it on thier site. If you google space hulk you can still get to the product page and it mentions "Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours." but there is no way to order it. Most likely a dead page from when it was available.

It is available on ebay of course. Some of the prices are still comparable to the list price. (of course some are not too )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Doom is a good alternative as long as you have the expansion which really cleans up a lot of the problems with the original. Another game I have been enjoying as an alternative is Incursion. The game plays fast...great replayability and has some pretty neat minatures out if you like to paint. Sure....its not marines vs. aliens.......but the game is cool! Best thing is...you can print and play to try it and or buy the boxed game being released soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you buy the game here on BGG? there are many copies from Europe, so the you can save on shipment ... or you can search on several EBAY sites here in Europe (many different prices).
After you can buy the rulesbook and missions books in English always on Ebay.

Roberto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer SH, but I think Doom is a good game, too. Unfortunately it has some balance issues so be prepared to search for some almost obligatory rule modifications, especially if you're gonna play with 4 players often.

With only 2 players (the way SH is played) Doom is a fun romp, with the balance slightly tilted toward the marine. It's a different experience then SH, but not by that much. In fact, I might even say that Doom is a bit more Ameritrash then SH, which kinda has an Eurogames-ish aspect to it, so if you are in it for the AT-factor you might even prefer Doom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.