Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
We've made a couple of enhancements to the board games browser--primarily offering a couple of new ways to filter the ranked games. You can see the changes here:
/browse/boardgame

We have more such enhancements planned down the line--this is just the first of them.

Let me know if there are any bugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Ah,changes to the search results was inadvertent. These changes were supposed to be for browsing only. I believe that rank didn't previously show for search results. I'll have to fix that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
OK, I think that the bugs are fixed. Any further bugs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
In addition to the results sorting wonky, Search itself is *still* borked.

It sure would be nice if it actually worked properly*...it has been a year or two since it got borked.

*(by, for example, finding Ladybohn when "bohn" or at least "*bohn" is seached for.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
gamephotos wrote:
How is it decided if a game is a:

a) Gamers' Game

b) Family Game

c) Light Game

d) Wargame

It appears to me that Gamer's / Family / Light are simply divided up by the Weight stat of each game. Which gives us absurd results like Stone Age being listed as a Gamer's Game while Ra is listed as a Family Game.

It's a great idea to have more charts, but it's ridiculous to base them on something so ambiguous as the Weight stat.

Two suggestions for improvement:

1) Fix the ambiguity of the weight stat. One way that has been suggested would be to split it into two polls - Rules Complexity and Strategic Depth.

or

2) Give us polls directly where we can choose what category we feel is most representative for each game. If a game gets a lot of support in two different categories, list it in both charts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
As for the categories... the regular chart is by definition the gamer's game chart! How can anybody who takes the time to rate games on BGG be described as anything other than a gamer?

And I can't figure what the point of having both Family Games and Light Games is, when the definitions are simply Light and Lighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
gamephotos wrote:
How is it decided if a game is a:

a) Gamers' Game

b) Family Game

c) Light Game

d) Wargame
I wondered the same thing. You can't discern a game's category from weight. There are some downright stupid "Family Games"...in the Top 4.
Quote:
2) Give us polls directly where we can choose what category we feel is most representative for each game. If a game gets a lot of support in two different categories, list it in both charts.
This is the proper solution.[/q]
In fact, I am considering posting a thread with a poll on each of 232 purported "Party Games" to find out 3 things:

a) if the game is even a party game
b) which party subcategories (creative, knowledge, groupthink, icebreaker, ...) the game belongs to
c) which SINGLE subcategory best defines the game

If there were automatic polls for all game entries doing the same thing with the official list of categories, that would help immensely. It would be extremely useful information on the game pages and it could be used for these dynamic "best of category" game lists. Of course, "Family Game" would need to be added to the official category list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
gamephotos wrote:
fnord23 wrote:
finding Ladybohn when "bohn" or at least "*bohn" is seached for.)

You're right. I hadn't realised that the search looks for words beginning with what you typed, rather than looking for the string you typed anywhere in the Title.

That isn't true. If you type "bohn", you'll get plenty of records where the title does not start with that string.

If I type in "of the sexes", I get all the "Battle of the Sexes" games.

So, it's not looking only at the first words in a string. It just seems to have a minor glitch when a string is imbedded within a word somewhere in the title. For instances, when I type in "exes" I get nothing, when I should get at least all the "of the sexes" results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
gamephotos wrote:

I had to look up Borked to see what it means:

Quote:
To have totally f***ed something up. Usually by doing something stupid.

Heh. I didn't intend it with quite that vehemence, more a light-hearted way of getting the point across...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really like the idea of making some categories easily accessible when browsing - I think this is a good change.

I also think that weight is a reasonable place to start. I agree that some sort of poll on the game page would probably give better results, because weight is somewhat ambiguous, but for now this will do.

I do think that having a "gamer's game" category is pretty redundant. As was said, all the games ranked high on this website are by definition games that appeal to gamers. And that is pretty apparent in the fact that the top 100 "gamers games" barely deviates from the top 100 "overall." So while there's not exactly anything wrong with it, it doesn't seem particularly useful (the other two categories, squabbles about definitions aside, do at least give distinctive results).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also, in terms of future upgrades: The two categories that I would most like to see separated out of the current listing are abstract games and children's games. Ideally, I would love to see those ranked the same way that by my understanding wargames are now ranked - namely, have the ratings filtered to only include those who play a significant number of that type of game.

Thanks for the constant improvements to the site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we have the polling numbers for each game, it would be cool if you could sort the game browser by recommended suggested number of players as decided by the community (e.g., search for the highest rated recommended 2 or 3 player games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks as though the other categories (ie, not wargames) do not use any sort of "expert panel" logic the way wargames do. The Wargame list shows great variability between the BGG Rank and Wargame Rank. But the other options all show that one column (BGG Rank) rises consistently with the other (X Category Rank). That makes it pretty useless. We could already get these lists from the advanced search.

I say there is no need to monkey with the list of top games if the logic for "expert panels" isn't inserted for any other lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.