Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Paris, 52 B.C. or Roman Cohorts break under the crashing Barbarian waves

Introduction
Caesar was taking a holiday so his right hand man, Labienus, led 3 Legions (VII, IX, XII) to take on the Barbarian Hordes somewhere near Paris.

Not too much is known about the battle, but it may have happened something like this…

Rout Levels
Barbarians: 50 RPs
Romans: 80 RPs

From South to North (left to right) we have:
Parisii – Aulerci – Senones

Facing the:

VII – IX - XII

The Battle

Turn 1

Both sides begin to advance

Turn 2

Continuing their advance, the Roman Legions spread out and form a line. The Tribal Chief, Camulogenes, leads the Aulerci. They begin to yell and charge the Roman IX Legion! The Cohorts hold as the leading Barbarian Infantry engage.

Maintaining his momentum Camulogenes pushes the attack and the ferocious barbarians continue their charge!

Strategy Note: The Gaul’s only chance (however slim!) is to charge. They need to use their Ferocity to hopefully cause some pre-shock cohesion hits. They can’t defend against the Veteran Cohorts as the Cohorts are “Attacker Superior” when attacking the Barbarian Infantry. So they charged and attacked pretty much whenever possible in a nice flair of historicity

Some Roman Skirmishers are eliminated (1 RP) but the Cohorts all stand (although some are on the verge of breaking). 4 Barbarian Infantry rout and the Aulerci lose their ferocity.

Play note: The Troop Quality of the Roman Veteran Cohorts is just too good. Many of them were only 1 or 2 hits from routing.

Camulogenes continues his inspired leadership (momentum) and moves to auto-rally two BI. Instigating a continuation of shock combat, the Barbarian Line completely collapses as the Veteran Cohorts hold.

(Rout Phase) : The Aulerci run away.

Turn 3

Skirmisher Phase – Declined.

The Senones react first and charge the shaken XII

A Roman Skirmisher is eliminated. One Barbarian Infantry routs (maintains ferocity), but the Roman Cohort line is broken as 3 units rout!

Unfortunately, the Senones are unable to carry the momentum! soblue

In the Center, Brutus recovers members of the IX, for preparation of the advancing Parisii, as the last of the Aulerci are repelled.

Exposed and out of formation the IX is set upon by the impetuous Parisii who ferociously charge. The front of the IX collapses as one cohort is outright eliminated as they flee to their Aquila. (One routed Aulerci BI was also eliminated for being passed through)

On the north flank, the XII repel the Senones who are completely routed! Making their momentum they chase down the fleeing Barbarian infantry and the whole tribe is almost completely eliminated! (27 RPs in total lost)

Sextius quietly manoeuvres the Roman Cavalry around the Barbarian southern flank.

The VII decides not to attack and holds their ground.

Labienus focuses his efforts on recovering the XII and uses his momentum to rally the XII Aquila.

With his infantry in full flight, Camulogenes runs around rallying the Aulerci.

Rout Phase: The Aulerci are on the run.

The Score for eliminated units is:
Barbarian: 34/50
Roman: 9 (+20 at Aquila) = 29 / 80

It will all be over for the Barbarians if Camulogenes can’t stop his routed men from completely fleeing the battlefield.

Turn 4

Skirmisher Phase – Romans decline to order their skirmishers.

Brutus lead the IX as they attempt to drive the Parisii away from their Aquila. Two of the barbarian infantry rout (lose ferocity) but Brutus fails to carry the momentum.

Homerus of the Parisii auto-rallies one routed infantry and leads the counter-attack against the IX! Two Roman Cohorts are eliminated (14 RPs) but he also fails to carry the momentum as he is greatly distracted by some noise to the south…

…as Trebonis and the VII attack the Parisii on their right!

3 Parisii Barbarian Infantry rout under the organised attack of the cohorts.

Trebonis fails his momentum roll.

The only Senones infantry auto-rallies.

The XII, now almost completely recovered by the leadership of Labienus hit the Parisii on their left! (That’s right reader, the Parisii get sandwiched between the VII and the XII). 4 more Barbarian Infantry are sent packing.

Sextius and his horse watch from a safe distance.

A happy Labienus lifts up the morale and spirit of his men as he encourages them. The IX pushes the remaining Parisii back from their Aquila (3 BI rout, 1 is eliminated – 7 RPs, total 41RPs/50)

Camulogenes, sensing defeat as his infantry are running amok all around tries to rally as many as possible. He auto-rallies two units but disparaged fails in his momentum.

2 Aulerci BI flee from the map (14 RPs) and the Barbarian Horde routs (55 RPs/50)

The Romans lost a total of 23 RPs (+7 routed at Aquila) = 30RPs/80

Aftermath

A fairly easy Roman Victory. As mentioned above, the Barbarians have little chance if defending and must push the attack. Very Low Charisma and no camps mean that once routed, the only realistic option is to use auto-rally (any unit stacked with the leader can be automatically rallied without a die roll). But with low initiatives, this means move-rally-move-rally is the most a 4 init leader can accomplish without making momentum.

It’s very hard for the Barbarians to withstand cohesion damage as they can’t recover, have extremely low charisma and must rely on auto-rally with low initiatives.

The Romans fare much better being able to use Labienus to recover and auto-rally at the Aquila.

Even though the result was fairly obvious from the start, it was still a fun battle to play and watch the Barbarian horde break the XII and then the IX by hitting them with human waves!

COMING SOON! – Gergovia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. How long was the battle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
hank__hill wrote:
Nice report. How long was the battle?
\

Thanks.

It was around the 2 1/2 hour mark.

It is a pretty stright forward battle and could have been played in under two hours without rules-look-uppering. I sometimes get confused with the different GBoH systems, so I need to confirm semi-frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the Barbarians have little chance if defending and must push the attack.

Not sure if it is the correct strategy for the barbarians. Should they wait for the right moment before charging as the Romans closing in? A low rout level army should stay on the defensive generally in my opinion. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Quote:
the Barbarians have little chance if defending and must push the attack.

Not sure if it is the correct strategy for the barbarians. Should they wait for the right moment before charging as the Romans closing in? A low rout level army should stay on the defensive generally in my opinion. cool

1. Both sides advanced to get away from their map edge. This is essential and normal as it gives you a change to rally prior to having your units leave the map.

2. Yes they should wait for the right moment, but when exactly is that? They need to hit the Romans before the Romans hit them, that much is certain, you don't want to be hit by Attacker Superior, that almost always spells defeat.

3. Also, the Barbarians, to have any chance, need to deliver some pre-shock cohesion hits which is the point of ferocity.

I'm by no means saying the tactics for the Barbarian side were "correctly" implemented. They tried to hit the Romans hard and in "waves". They could make a formation, or sit back until the Romans come to them, but eventually, they are going to have to hit first. Also, the Roman cavalry is much more mobile and they have skirmishers, so the Barbarians can't just "wait" forever. If they do, the archers can just pick away at the Barbarians causing unrecoverable hits, eventually routing (and possibly eliminating units) and deleting their ferocity.

Take for example...

BBBBBBBBBBBB (Barbarian Line)

SK SK SK SK (Roman Skirmishers)

RRRRRRRRRRRR (Roman Line, just out of Barbarian Reach)

What can the Barbarians do? If they advance to attack the Skirmishers, the Roman Line can advance and smack them first, if they move forward 1 hex, the Romans can back up one hex. That would get very "tedious" and also if the armies meet midmap they would get shot to pieces over the 10 turns pushing the roman Line backwards 1 hex per turn.

Also, by "staggering" their line (or keeping it deep) only some Roman troops are exposed to the initial charge and the rest are availabe for counter-attack.

Again, I don't know if this was "right", but the Barbarians have little chance of winning this battle.

I don't know if any of this makes an ouce of sense...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replying to a 8 year old thread...

I'm new to this and to the series. Am finding it hard to work out the leader rules for Barbarians, especially in this battle.

Did you have each of the 3 Gallic leaders in charge of Their own tribe? And Camul is TC , so the others have to be in his range or to roll against Init in order to activate?

How did you use the Barbarian cavalry? I don't see enough Barbarian leaders (and you can't mix Cav and Inf in a line, right?).

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, old thread but I'm still here!

I haven't played GBoH for over 5 years so I can't quite recall. I think the TC can activate them with a line command and I kept the others in range. But honestly, I can't recall all the rules any more and I would have to freshen myself on them. In this scenario, I think the CAV moved on individual commands. Check the Barbarian ferocity special rules too for the scenario.

Sorry I'm not more help. PM me if you're still having issues and I may be able to check out the rules to help you out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.