Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: what? [+] [View All]
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not actually saying to change the rules, I'm asking to change or add how some of them are written.

I'm straying away from my normal review format since the game has already been reviewed many times since RFtG has been released. There are also some really good how to play videos out there. Believe me, I had to watch them to learn this beast. To me, the RFtG game is awesome, I will play the the living daylights out of it, and I will pick up the expansions. But, I can also see where many people will hate it, either by mechanic or by getting lost in the rules before they can learn to enjoy it.

The one thing that has not improved since the release of RFtG, is an understanding of the rules to help new people become acclimated to RFtG. Many people have stated you will understand it once you play it about 10 times, or find someone who knows the rules to show it to you. Not everyone has the resources or patience to do such.

This should be included with the phase descriptions. This table shows what each phase is dependent upon, and the other phases it will impact or will possibly impact :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| . . . | Dependent upon: Player playing Phase 1 (You can draw cards at any time)
| P 1 | Directly Enables : Phase 2 and Phase 3.
| . . . | Augmented by: Developments and some worlds allow for more draws/keeps
| . . . | Phase play dependent – You need to play a phase to do it (have to discard @ >10 hand)
| . . . | Has 2 possible explore phases
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| . . | Dependent upon: Phase 1 and $:Trade Phase
| P 2 | Possibly Enables : All phases. Development will decide which phase it augments
| . . . | Augmented by: Some worlds, developments make future developments cheaper
| . . . | Phase play, Card in hand dependent – You need the proper cards in hand to accomplish
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| . . . | Dependent upon: Phase1 and $:Trade Phase.
| P 3 | Directly enables: Phase 5 (if not gray, and is a windfall or production world).
| . . . | Possibly enables: Phase 4 or $:Trade if those capabilities are available on that world
| . . . | Augmented by: Some developments and start worlds allow for cheaper colonizations
| . . . | Phase play, Card in hand dependent - You need the proper cards in hand to accomplish
| . . . | Dependent upon: Phase 3 (windfall) initial buy, or Phase 5 form a production world
| P:$ | Directly enables: Phase 2 and Phase 3
| Trd | Augmented by: Phase 2 and Phase 3. Worlds and Developments.
| . . . | Self Phase play, Tableau dependent – Only you can decide when you trade your goods
| . . . | *Players who do not play this phase 4 consume with trade, do not get to trade for cards
| . . . | Dependent upon: Phase3 to a Phase 5 combo (Initial windfall worlds, Phase 3 only)
| P 4 | Possibly dependent: upon some Phase 2 developments
| . . . | Directly Enables : VP Chips , and some card draws. (only way you get VP chips)
| . . . | Tableau dependent – You need to have the proper cards in tableau to accomplish
| . . . | Has 2 possible consumption phases
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| . . . | Dependent upon: Phase 3 if there are producing worlds in your tableau
| P 5 | Directly enables Phase 4 if there is a power for VP consumption and space for a good.
| . . . | Possibly enables: Phase 4 or $:trade if you play Phase 5 and have a windfall world.
| . . . | Directly enables sub-phase $:Trade if the world can produce a good. (not a gray one)
| . . . | Tableau dependent – You need to have the proper cards in tableau to accomplish

As a very simple flow, RFtG could be described as : Phase 1 allows for phase 2 and phase 3 to be played, once you get enough cards from phase1. Phase 2 and phase 3 are played to give you access to actions playable during phase 4 and phase 5. Phase 4 and phase 5 are possibly allowed to you, only if cards you have played the proper cards into your tableau from phases 1 through 3. Then there is trading, which you can do to get more cards, similar to phase 1.

Specific descriptions of rules that would have made the game easier:

I put the language and descriptions I would like to have seen and wish was more blatent in the rulebook. Below those descriptions, I put the reasons I (or we) got rules wrong when we started playing. I understand how the rules work now, but as a beginner I can see where someone can be thrown for a loop, miss the concept, and leave frustrated. Most of the veteran players will be like “we know this”, as beginners we didn't.

1) This first rule is the most important one I would add. I'll even say the same thing 3 different ways:

- Worlds with a gray background do not allow for production.
- Gray worlds produce no goods.
- Gray worlds do not give you anything when you attempt to produce at Phase 5.

Mix up: The rules say only colored worlds produce goods. Gray is a color too, but not in this game, for the purpose of producing. (Technically Gray is an achromatic color). You eventually do figure out gray worlds give no goods, but only after playing the game through a few times and seeing such through the mechanics. The rules never actually come out and state this about gray worlds. I thought for our first couple games the gray worlds meant they did produce a specific color an thus produce no “trade” goods as it was an “any good” only for trading in for VP chips (see #2 below). gray worlds are there for VP's on the card when played to tableau (not VP chips) and other abilities to augment other phases. “Colored worlds” was too vague a term for the actual mechanic, especially if you consider gray a color.

2) This concept we had trouble with as we were lumping all phase actions in with the how the first 3 phases are played. Once again all of these bullets them say relatively the same thing.

- You can't consume goods for VP chips, unless you have played a world or development that allows you to take a produced good (or cards in hand) and gain a VP chip and/or card.
- Playing the consume card for phase 4 does not automatically give you the capability to consume a good for VP's.
- Just because you have a world with a good, the world with the good does not automatically give you the ability to consume it for a VP.
- There must be a Development or World in your tableau that has an icon corresponding with a phase 4 ability allowing you to consume for a VP (Or Card). This consumption for a VP/Card is sometimes only available if you have the correct corresponding good (Novelty, Element, Genes, or Alien). The icon on the consume card does not count as a valid consume for VP chips.

Mix up: We actually thought you got to produce a VP for EVERY good you had available, and that the icons on worlds were for extra VP's on top of the consume power that you got to choose in order of occurrence. Per the phase cards we thought playing any phase card grants that ability. Producing was easier to understand, you can't produce on a world you don't have. We finally got playing the consume card does not count as the actual power.

3) This one we had correct at first and got it wrong after we righted ourselves of #2 above.

- Trade powers from cards in your tableau that line up with the consume:trade sub-phase ($ only apply bonuses to the trade that must take place if you personally play the consume:trade phase IV card during your own turn. Trade powers are not like the consume for VP's powers where if they do not exist, you do not have to trade. It is if you play consume:trade you must trade if you have a good.
- Multiple people can play consume:trade sub-phase during the same turn, and only those players can trade goods for cards.
- When the rules say you can choose to trade(in the sidebar of the rulebook), it is meant for when you choose to play the card as your desired phase at the start of the turn. It will not work the same if you have trade $: showing as a power in your tableau and you did not personally play a consume:trade phase card.

Mix up: The side bar entry in the rules of “...it occurs before a consume phase for only those who choose it” , is not like the choose on a develop or settle phase where you can also choose to do it if someone plays it. This is the opposite of consumption for VP's. Not only do you have to do it you do it, but you have to trade a good for cards even if you do not have any trade powers. There is at least the line of “no Trade power is needed to sell a good” in the rulebook help clarify this. But the epiphany of finally getting #2 above , made us get this one wrong when we had it correct the first time. Players started doing this to each other to try and get other players over 10 cards and “waste” a good for discarded cards, figuring it was part of the game.

Pros and Cons:

Buy this game!!
+ You like a mechanic that keeps people in the game even if they are losing.
+ You enjoy a good sci-fi themed games.
+ You would enjoy logic driven card games.
+ You enjoy the idea of building rather than destroying
+ You enjoy games with multiple paths to victory.
+ You can play the game by yourself and still enjoy a majority of the mechanics within the game
+ You want a game that is very balanced
+ You want a quick game. (It is complicated, but plays quickly)

Don't buy this game.
- You hate math
- You do not want to put forth effort to understand the rules or mechanics
- Get upset about box to component ratios.
- You do not feel like you are colonizing worlds by playing cards on a table
- Ditto with researching developments
- You're one of those people who have taunted Happy Fun Ball and lived to tell about it.
- You don't want to search for rules you need in multiple locations (rulebook + placards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate math? I can't say I've ever had a score over 80, which I can count up to on two hands worth of fingers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BigD145 wrote:
Hate math? I can't say I've ever had a score over 80, which I can count up to on two hands worth of fingers.

You must be a master on the guitar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up to 1023 is easy on the fingers of two hands.

You don't have to count in unary, you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mumushanshi wrote:

00100 00100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
mumushanshi wrote:

00100 00100.

I think you just got flipped the bird!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mumushanshi wrote:

You, good sir, just revolutionized my world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krechevskoy wrote:
1) This first rule is the most important one I would add. I'll even say the same thing 3 different ways:

- Worlds with a gray background do not allow for production.
- Gray worlds produce no goods.
- Gray worlds do not give you anything when you attempt to produce at Phase 5.

As somebody who royally screwed up this rule in his first four games or so (leading to extremely lopsided produce/consume strategies), I agree that the rulebook should make this perfectly clear. Gray is a color!

krechevskoy wrote:
- Trade powers from cards in your tableau that line up with the consume:trade sub-phase ($ only apply bonuses to the trade that must take place if you personally play the consume:trade phase IV card during your own turn. Trade powers are not like the consume for VP's powers where if they do not exist, you do not have to trade. It is if you play consume:trade you must trade if you have a good.

I would add: the base Trade power is to trade only 1 good, of your choice. The rulebook does say this, but it should make clear that you normally can't trade more than one good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
mumushanshi wrote:

00100 00100.

That's only 132! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning Race has been easier for me than reading your review..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I made this a while ago. It's similar to your table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.